1975 XS with a side hack. Want to upgrade stuff and have fun!

speeedracer27

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I pulled the trigger on a 1975 XS 650 with a side hack. Always liked the 650 parallel twin and this seemed like an opportune time to get one. I'm a gear head, so I won't be able to leave this as is...Also, I needed a new Spring-time project and my dog wanted a sidecar.
Based on my cursory research, it looks like PamcoPete is tits up and Mike's has some substandard electronic components. Perhaps you fine folks can point me in the right direction.
Things I think I want to do:
1. Steering/swing-arm bearings
2. Get rid of points (Electronic ignition, etc. Want it to be reliable and I hate points...) Is Rawahide any good?
3. Front brakes. Would love to go to a Brembo 4 piston set-up or perhaps a dual disc. I like to stop and with the added weight of a side hack, I would like something better than a single piston 45 year-old relic. The rear can remain a drum, unless someone has a suggestion. I want to keep the spoke wheels.
4. I'll probably change the rear shocks out, suggestions are welcome.
4. Anything else that may be of benefit. I'm not looking to spend $10K but also like doing things the right way and cannot stand buying junk that doesn't work. Having said all that, here is the intended result:

I don't really care about boosting extra power or gaining superior handling, etc. I have faster and newer stuff to ride for that. This is a project for my dog to enjoy Sunday rides and just look cool. I don't mid tearing this thing down to the bones, if need be. The XS is about as simple as they come. Mostly looking for pragmatic tips, information, resource and general things an enthusiast might find helpful.

Disclaimer:
I may spontaneously get completely out of control and drop a 750 big bore kit in this thing and do a frame-off. Who knows...This stuff is just fun!

Feel free to bust balls and make ridiculous statements.

Thanks in advance

With much respect,
Speeedracer27

Maybe post some pics of the bike.

If it looks like a POS you may get different suggestions than if it looks like a decent bike.

I’d probably get it dialed in as is. Drive it for a bit, give it a good shake down and see what seems to be lacking, then go after it.

Fella said it's been sitting for 10 years. Ran when parked. I ordered a carb. rebuilt kit and a tank flush/sealer kit, to start off. Cosmetically, it doesn't look too bad. probably a 6 out of 10 for a barn find. I dig the look with the side hack. I passed up on a 2019 Triumph Scrambler with 636 miles and a side hack because I simply liked the look of this beast better. So spending a few $ on making her pretty and ride-able is no problem. I like vintage reliability (if that's a thing).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 20.04.11.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 20.04.11.png
    764 KB · Views: 188
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 20.04.32.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 20.04.32.png
    951 KB · Views: 232
Front brakes are a twin pot caliper from 73-76. Probably better to have a brake on the hack wheel to balance it out for stopping

Here are some threads. Pics are missing on the Sidecar 101 but thye are in the album and near the end of the 650 rider link, pages 5,6,7. Worth reading them all for tipbits here and there and some links to other information through out the threads.

Gordon scott
http://www.xs650.com/threads/sidecar-101.5298/
Album
http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/xs650-sidecar-build.244/
650Rider
http://www.650rider.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7925&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Puts a sidecar on this
http://www.xs650.com/threads/side-tracker-build.5650/

Freds post
http://www.xs650.com/threads/velorex-install.33924/

Signals racer
http://www.xs650.com/threads/post-classic-sidecar.43933/

O)n the front brakes the system is a good system, just needs a few tweeks.
Your stock 14 mm master cylinder works well if you add a second caliper and rotor. Another option is to change out the stock m/c for one with a smaller diameter bore. A 12 mm or even an 11 mm is a great improvement over the stock m/c.
I run a 12 mm m/c on one of my bikes and a dual disc set up on another. They both have very strong brakes as well as great feel.
Replacing the stock rubber brake lines with braided stainless steel lines is a good thing.
Going to an electronic ignition is not a bad idea. I have Pamco's in mine. Pamco Pete is no longer making his ignition. Mike's is a Chinese knock off of the Pamco. It may be a good ignition, there has not been to much said about it on here.
Upgrades to the steering neck and new bushings in the swing arm are good things and don't cost much.
On your carbs, most rebuld kits don't have many parts in them that work for the XS650. The gaskets are fine, the brass internals, not so much. It's often better to take off the carbs, do a tear down and clean. Once everything is clean you can insect the parts and determine just what needs to be changed. Often the only thing that needs changing is the pilot and main jets to fine tune the carbs to better match your engine.
Read this www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
You may find that haulling a chair can be hard on the rear wheel. The spokes tend to loosen and break more often when pulling a chair.
Relacing with heavier spokes is one option. Going to a later 48 spoke rear may help with this.
If the front forks are all stock they may need some work to better handle the chair. The stock set up is good for stock but isn't the best for the chair. On some of the older Harley's they used an adjustable set of trees to have one setting for solo riding and another setting for the chair. Others can explain that better than I can.
I have a 75 that I have used as a test sled. Most anything I read abouit on here and other sites I tried them on my 75. Some things turned our well, others not so much. The one thing that is a not so much was converting the rear brakes from the drum to a disc brake. The improvement in braking was ok but the work involved was not worth the effort. Not having spoke rrear wheels as a straight up swap sucks a bit too. The stock mag wheels used with disc brakes is very heavy and not all that attractive.
Shocks, 650central is a good place to get them. He gets shocks and springs from Progressive and assembles them to match your needs.
You call him and talk to him and he uses what you tell him to determine the spruing rate that best fits your needs. Other places sell shocks for about the same price but not so custom fitted.
I guess this should be enough to confuse you, so I'll close.Oh, welcome to the site.
Leo

Welcome to the site. Consulted my dogs. They said you should give it to us. Sorry, they have no concept of money. :rolleyes:
No suggestions at the moment, just wanted to welcome you to the madhouse. Actually, my dogs made me type this...... They've been wanting a side hack since forever.

Money no object? needs this...

View attachment 186989
Or if you are somewhat skilled at fabricating stuff that can be built pretty easy!
I'm far from skilled but did have a friend at work who could weld if I could cut out things and make jigs to hold them in position for him to make them stick together. That was for a Sportster back in 1993 and I'm still running it today, well not actually today as morning temps are in the teensºF, but as soon as it warms up a bit!

As someone who had a sidecar on an XS650 with a stock front end for several years I can tell you it will take some good arms to ride any distance. I only used mine to ride to work less than a mile up the road so it was not too bad.

I would vote for heavier spokes for the rear wheel of the bike if not wanting to swap to a cast wheel. I can tell you that handling will get a bit strange when around half a dozen spokes break! "Been There Done That"!

Looking at the picture it looks like sidecar may have a brake in that wheel. To be honest if you up grade the front brake to dual disks and good calipers for the speeds your dog will let you ride you should be good at least till you get that 750CC kit installed. I have put over 100,000 miles on Sportsters with sidecars none of which have had brakes on the sidecar, bike did get converted to dual front disks early on.

Do you know what the sidecar is? Ural or Denper(spelling?) or something else?

Just for kicks I'll attach a picture of the front end on my Sportster:
leading002.jpg

Man, that's one hell of a set-up. Know nothing about the sidecar yet. Picking up the bike this weekend. Just getting some idea of what I'm in for. Thanks for the great information.

Back