1976 XS advantage of new CDI?

wildyrne

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
This is my first project bike and I don't have any electronics experience so please bear with me if this is a stupid question but can someone explain to me why I want a CDI? I'm looking at the tcbros alternator kit for going batteryless but I see much more expensive kits. Is there some reason I wouldn't want to just get the alternator and a capacitor and keep it at that?

So what's wrong with your OEM ignition/charge systems that you're getting rid of them? Spending a lot of money on "upgraded" systems isn't always the best answer...

So what's wrong with your OEM ignition/charge systems that you're getting rid of them? Spending a lot of money on "upgraded" systems isn't always the best answer...

Nothing as far as I know. I basically just want to be running kickstart only with no battery. Whatever I can do at lowest cost to get that done is what I'd like to do.

Nothing as far as I know. I basically just want to be running kickstart only with no battery. Whatever I can do at lowest cost to get that done is what I'd like to do.
What year? Points or TCI?

CDI= Capacitive Discharge Ignition. This system sparks the plugs. It has nothing to do with charging. To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a CDI for the XS650
TCBros alternator kit is a PMA system
PMA= Permanent Magnet Alternator. If you want to delete the battery, yes you need one of these.

It's a 76 so I think points. I haven't picked it up yet. I was planning on getting it this weekend depending on weather but it runs ok as far as I know.
If its still stock then yes its points, if you want to run without a battery and install a PMA there is no need to get rid of your points. Points will work just fine with a PMA/Capacitor. But FWIW your stock system will also work just fine with an upgraded regulator/rectifier and tiny little antigravity batteries that can be hidden just about anywhere. This will give you the advantage still being able to use your electric starter when all the cool kids at the local watering hole aren't watching, your knees will thank you.

The Vape and Hugh's high end system are CDI's I believe. And can I suggest a very small SLA battery instead of a cap. Works better and is cheaper.

But what about the "cool kids" watching at the watering hole.....

tim

Back