1976 XS650C Café Racer Build

Evening, gents. Some more progress today while the wife is away on a hen-do. I got some parts back from powder coating today, and the lad has done a lovely job. He's a biker himself with a penchant for classics, so he gets it. Great finish, and all parts appropriately masked as requested. A stark contrast to some experiences I've had from other outfits previously.

I got back my rims, hubs, brake plate, swinging arm, and torque arm. I fitted new wheels bearings and seals front and rear, and I installed my new bronze bushings from Heiden Tuning using a very simple home made puller. It worked a treat. I test-fitted it with the thrust covers and one shim (as was fitted previously) and it feels nice at 47ft lbs. The arm falls slowly under its own weight, and there is no longer any lateral movement whatsoever.

I've also ordered a new CNC aluminium sump plate and filter kit from Rick Forte of Smedspeed, with a spin-on type paper filter. The claim is significantly improved filtration and extended crank life. Handy, given I'm about to pay through the nose for a crank rebuild...

My barrels need rebored and I need new pistons, rings etc. I came across Cruizin Image and their piston kits are incredibly affordable. It seems too good to be true, however plenty of reading on the forums provides consensus that they're decent kit.

I'm also learning (better late than never) not to throw anything away. As such, I'm growing the world's least nutritious lollipop comprising several spent bearings, races, seals etc - dead handy for driving in replacement parts, and many other jobs, too.

A few pictures of today's progress:

IMG_0074.jpeg
IMG_0073.jpeg
IMG_0071.jpeg
IMG_0070.jpeg
IMG_0069.jpeg
IMG_0068.jpeg
IMG_0066.jpeg
IMG_0065.jpeg
IMG_0064.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0064.jpeg
    IMG_0064.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0065.jpeg
    IMG_0065.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0073.jpeg
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0071.jpeg
    IMG_0071.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0068.jpeg
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 38
I came across Cruizin Image and their piston kits are incredibly affordable. It seems too good to be true, however plenty of reading on the forums provides consensus that they're decent kit.
Yes, his parts are made in Japan... not the Chinese crap.
Good quality parts. I've been more than happy with his stuff.

can anyone advise why two of the screws that retain the camchain guide pivot arm are shouldered? Is there a a good reason not to replace those horrible screws with allen head set screws, for example?
If you’re taking about the two retaining bolts for the guide there’s not enough room behind the wishbone oiler tube for the heads to clear. That was my experience at least. I thought it would be a good idea as well that didn’t pan out.

Evening, All, from an uncharacteristically roasting hot Scotland. Just a quick update here. Since last time, I've had my wheels rebuilt with stainless spokes further to having them powder coated gloss black, along with the hubs. I've also finished de-tabbing my frame of extraneous brackets etc. Tidied up some of the dreadful original welds while I was at it!

I've just done a mock up for the first time with the newly refurbished swinging arm, new Hagon shocks, and the wheels (today shod with Avon Roadrider MkII rubber).

It's moving forwards, albeit frustratingly slowly it feels.

Cheers,
Mark

IMG_1004.jpeg
IMG_1014.jpeg
IMG_1133.jpeg
IMG_1136.jpeg
IMG_1140.jpeg
IMG_1144.jpeg
IMG_1146.jpeg
IMG_1147.jpeg

It’s looking good! I like the black wheels and forks. 👍🏻
Thanks, Mailman! I initially wanted the wheels and hubs polished, however following tens of hours of failing to achieve this myself, followed by a quote of £450 to have the work done professionally(!), I decided to go the black PC route. I'm really pleased with the result 🙂

Evening, All, from an uncharacteristically roasting hot Scotland. Just a quick update here. Since last time, I've had my wheels rebuilt with stainless spokes further to having them powder coated gloss black, along with the hubs. I've also finished de-tabbing my frame of extraneous brackets etc. Tidied up some of the dreadful original welds while I was at it!

I've just done a mock up for the first time with the newly refurbished swinging arm, new Hagon shocks, and the wheels (today shod with Avon Roadrider MkII rubber).

It's moving forwards, albeit frustratingly slowly it feels.

Cheers,
Mark

View attachment 245249View attachment 245250View attachment 245251View attachment 245252View attachment 245254View attachment 245255View attachment 245256View attachment 245257
Love the progress. Wheels look epic.

Back