1976 XS650C Restore

xs650c_almost_done_66.jpg
Almost there.... Got to assemble the caliper and it's ready to fire up. Hopefully....

Attachments

• xs650c_almost_done_67.jpg
    xs650c_almost_done_67.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 227
  • xs650c_almost_done_68.jpg
    xs650c_almost_done_68.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 211
It's tough keeping the sweat off the polished aluminum and chrome...
I just need to get up earlier if I want to get any work done these days. By noon it's 100 in the shop. I think this fall I'm going to paint the roof white.

90 in mine before I turn on the big fan. Humidity in SW Ont. is what really gets ya.

Well, it fired right up today!
...After I yanked out the points etc. and installed a Pamco ignition. :D
After the rebuild my plan was going to get it up and running and do the Pamco later but after getting it all back together with the original points/coils/etc. and kicking it about hundred or so times and getting nothing more than a few feeble chuffs I said screw that and acquired the Pamco.
Installed the Pamco this afternoon, mounted the bike, and with only half a kick it fired right up. Imagine that..

The engine sounded pretty solid for not having been run since ~1998 or so. It'll sound even better after tuning. :D

That's a super looking bike................great work by you! Yeah, points were OK when we had nothing else, but not worth the bother when a Pamco makes your bike purrr like a kitten.
1976 was the year I decided to buy a new bike. I remember the 1976 XS650C in the dealers show room, but I bought a 1976 XS500C instead, and had it for 13 years. I enjoyed the XS500, but I finally realized my error and bought my present XS650SE in 2007.

Very nice job on the restoration. Nice CB750 in you shop on one of the first posts. I saw that your shop gets uo to 100 degrees by noon. My last shop was the same way along with 70% humidity. Could not stand it anymore so I put AC in. :)

Well it's been a while and I'm still working on this but today it came off the lift and I fired it up and took for a few laps around the yard.
I could barely get it out of first, I didn't know these bikes were such torque monsters!
Need to adjust the clutch and brakes. Carbs seemed pretty good.

Anyway, I do have a question.
Are these mirrors stock for the '76 model? They look kinda funky...

Also here's a crappy phone shot of the bike. I'll post some better pix when it's 100%.
I was polishing the side covers today and discovered I need the little rubber bump thingies (pn 256-21717-00)
for the side covers. Sigh, another $10....

Attachments

• xs650c_mirrors.jpg
    xs650c_mirrors.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 210
  • xs650c_almost_done_69.jpg
    xs650c_almost_done_69.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 204
Those are stock Yamaha mirrors for some years, not sure about '76. They were on my '78. Regardless, they do work well.

@cycleranger I have a few extra rubber grommets from my overhaul for the side covers. If you need them, I can send them your way no cost, no sweat!
Thank you, I appreciate the offer but I've already got some on the way.
I replaced practically every piece of rubber on the bike, why stop now? New rubber is best rubber! :)

Those are stock Yamaha mirrors for some years, not sure about '76. They were on my '78. Regardless, they do work well.

Yeah, I've seen pictures of bikes with these mirrors. I'm pretty sure they're original since everything else on the bike was..
But I've also seen chrome mirrors in some photos as well but you never know if they are original.
The "plastic" bodies look a lot like fiberglass or some other composite material.
Ironically, in all the photos I've seen in period literature Yamaha chose to display the bikes without mirrors.
I think they look kind of fugly, I guess Yamaha did too.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

cycleranger.........................My 1976 Yamaha XS500C had that same mirror. I bought the bike new in 1976. It came with only a left hand mirror and that was all I used for 13 years. Yamaha shares parts between different bikes. So yes, those are original stock 1976 mirrors, and I found it worked just fine for me.
fugly...........................no, I thought the mirror was beautiful!

cycleranger.........................My 1976 Yamaha XS500C had that same mirror. I bought the bike new in 1976. It came with only a left hand mirror and that was all I used for 13 years. Yamaha shares parts between different bikes. So yes, those are original stock 1976 mirrors, and I found it worked just fine for me.
fugly...........................no, I thought the mirror was beautiful!

Well, I guess it's just that to me they don't fit the styling. There's not enough black on the bike.
But if they came with the bike I'll use them 'cause I'm sick that way. ;)
I just need a XS650B.....

Well, I guess it's just that to me they don't fit the styling. There's not enough black on the bike.
But if they came with the bike I'll use them 'cause I'm sick that way. ;)
I just need a XS650B.....

DJ..............you are one lucky bugger getting that lovely machine.

Good to see you back on the forum.

Have to agree here, that's some really fine attention to detail, looking impressive, enjoy your ride when it's back on the road :bike:

G'day Mick,

Glad to see you back.....looking at DJ's '76 makes me envious hopefully mine will look half as good.

He wants a '75B maybe you could do a deal, LOL.

GW

Back