lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
20190906_174931-1.jpg
Been Holding Back on This One

Gotten tired of patching together PO's failed projects, so here is a late (447-7054**) 77D to do a relaxing refresh project. Tins were rescued from a young man with a sawzall and enthusiasm some time ago, bike was bought prior to then.
Question about wiring harnesses. I have a brand new 78 Standard harness mispurchased and do not know of any substantial changes as far as safety nannies to the 77. I am guessing that the reason Mike's has a different PN for 77 is mainly because of bar switch differences.
Anybody know for sure what the differences are?
Bike will get a general clean up plus brakes and tires, euro bars etc.
No grinding or BBQ paint!

Last edited:
Ignition switch and ignition switch wiring differ as well, but you could modify the '78 harness ignition switch connector to work. Basically, the '77 ignition switch does not control or turn on the tail light, the handlebar light switch does. On the '78, the ignition switch does turn on the tail light. Look at the wiring diagrams for a '77 and '78, at the light switch and ignition switch wiring, and you'll see what needs to be done.

Also, the '78 was the 1st year for the auto-on headlight safety relay. The '77 only had the starter safety relay so there will be some extra wires down by that relay connection. Again, comparing the two wiring diagrams should tell you what to connect and what not to.

View attachment 165311
Been Holding Back on This One

Gotten tired of patching together PO's failed projects, so here is a late (447-7054**) 77D to do a relaxing refresh project. Tins were rescued from a young man with a sawzall and enthusiasm some time ago, bike was bought prior to then.
Question about wiring harnesses. I have a brand new 78 Standard harness mispurchased and do not know of any substantial changes as far as safety nannies to the 77. I am guessing that the reason Mike's has a different PN for 77 is mainly because of bar switch differences.
Anybody know for sure what the differences are?
Bike will get a general clean up plus brakes and tires, euro bars etc.
No grinding or BBQ paint!

That bike looks like a really nice starting point! Are the tins in as nice a condition as they appear?

Wow - thats a nice one Lakeview - very pretty indeed.

You might want to call Len about that.

Pete

Back