For Sale - 1977 XS650 Cafe Racer Excellent +++

Brian C

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Up for sale is this 1977 Yamaha XS650 in wonderful condition. This bike is just out of a most impressive collection and has been looked after by one of CT/NY's premier m/c mechanics. This bike features alloy rims, Manx mudguard, 2/1 exhaust, DS headlight, single speedo gauge (clean look) and flat tracker seat. Wiring all cleaned up plus tender hookup. There is just 20k miles on the odometer. The bike runs perfectly and looks amazing.

Motorcycle season is here. This is your opportunity to be riding in classic style or simply add this great machine to your collection.

Price is $6750 OBO

Thanks for having a look and feel free to call with any questions at two------03----/ / / six71,`````sixtwo26 brian

P.S. Also available are a Bultaco 360 dirt, and a Norton Commando 750. Those will be listed soon - all inquiries are welcome.

00O0O_39N4odJhOwU_600x450.jpg

00R0R_lncgoaE8h3_600x450.jpg

00101_gqcmYFatMPR_600x450.jpg

00K0K_4LFKDmDcXbH_600x450.jpg

00N0N_lxQ81oR9BuA_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
please tell me, am I way off on price being asked? To any of the knowledgeable members here, kindly help me with where you feel this bike should be, price-wise.

Last edited:
please tell me, am I way off on price being asked? Pls any of the knowledgeable members here, help me with where this bike should be.

Yeah - much too high IMO.

I’m Canadian, so I may not be well-calibrated for the US, but to me, the prettiest, all-original super-duper running XS650 Standard (i.e. a 1973-79 bike with a flat seat) is worth $2-4K tops and an earlier XS-1B with a 2-tone painted tank (and a drum front brake in the earliest bikes), in tip-top original shape might be worth a grand more. Specials (‘79-‘84 stepped-seat bikes with 16” rear wheels and shorty mufflers in most markets) might match those prices, but they generally fetch a bit less.

ANY bike in modified condition, like yours, even if well-sorted and clean, is worth less money IMO. Don’t get me wrong, I like your bike and in fact, I’m building a cafe bike out of an ‘81 Special that will turn out pretty much like yours. But, I’m not doing it because it will be worth more money - I’m doing it just because I want to.

Anything with no rear shocks will have a much lower value because they’re simply too uncomfortable to ride more than 5-10 miles - and once you cut the frame, it really can’t be effectively repaired. Clear evidence of that fact are all the hard-tail “projects” for sale on this forum as well as on Craig’s List and kijiji. All I’d pay for in buying one of those is the engine and maybe the wheels, only if it was running and not f@cked up.

People who know these bikes know where to get them and where to get the parts - and nothing is really all that expensive. But of course, we’re in it for the bikes, the wrenching and the riding, not the money. A stock XS650, of ANY year or model, truly is a damned nice bike to ride.

....my $0.02.....

Last edited:
Gotta chime in and back up MaxPete ;)
West Coast USA prices are similar to what Pete has described in Eastern Canada.
I have bought and sold a few of the “Standard” XS’s . Although yours is in very nice condition, better than I do,
For that price Id just shop for a new Royal Enfield .
I am able to sell descent , mostly stock 77-79 Standards for about $2600
I find em for less.
Many of the Cafe Racer modified bikes on Craigslist over here look great, but the ads stay there cuz they just don’t often bring in even $ 4,000
Sorry Brian C , we are cheapos :D
-RT

Users of the XS650.com Classifieds must follow these 10 rules:

1) XS650.com cannot be held responsible for losses resulting in use of these classifieds. BUY AND SELL AT YOUR OWN RISK! As when buying anything online, use good judgment and caution.

2) No bitching about prices. If you think someone is asking too much for something, don't buy it. If you need to comment about a price that is too high, PM the seller and be polite.

3) Be respectful of other buyers and sellers. Don’t hijack threads. If you have something to sell exactly like what someone else listed, start your own thread. Keep discussions related to the items in the listing.

4) Only motorcycle related items are allowed.

5) All For Sale ads must have a price for each item! Ads without prices for everything must be listed as "Make Offer". This includes links to eBay items unless a buy now price is available and posted in the ad.

6) Titles must use a prefix (For Sale, Make Offer, Trade, or Wanted) and must be descriptive! Example: "For Sale - 1981 XS650 special gas tank, good condition, black with fuel cap and key"

7) Since this is an international forum, include your location or the areas you are willing to ship to in your ad. Also make sure your location is filled out in your profile.

8) You can only bump your post to the top once every 3 days (72 hours). Please do not abuse bumping!

9) Once an item is sold, traded, or no longer wanted, do not bump the thread to the top by posting "sold" or "found" in a new post. Edit your original post to clearly indicate the item or items that are no longer available or that you found the item you wanted.

10) Everyone loves pictures. While pictures are not mandatory, they are highly encouraged for items for sale or trade. Post a picture!

Oh dear me - sorry about that. He asked and I thought we were having a discussion.

My apologies to all and especially to the OP.

PETE

Oh dear me - sorry about that. He asked and I thought we were having a discussion.

My apologies to all and especially to the OP.

PETE
You're fine Pete. The point of that rule is to not bitch about the price... which you didn't. The poster solicited advice on pricing.. you gave him some. Nothing wrong with that.

"Everyone appreciates your honesty...until you're honest with them...then you're an asshole" - George Carlin..
Disparaging comments edited out...

Last edited:
I love when people ask a premium price for xs650s. Because they are probably the most desired 70s Japanese bike ever made. And I own one, too each his own.

please tell me, am I way off on price being asked? Pls any of the knowledgeable members here, help me with where this bike should be.
Uh, since you asked...
I live in Brooklyn and saw this on CL and thought it was high. It caught my eye because I'm deciding between making my 77 (see avatar) nicer vs buying a bike that's already nice. So IMHO as a person that has been following the ads compulsively for the past 5 years, I'd expect this to be about 3-4K. With a rephased 750 engine and better carbs then I'd expect it to be 6-8K. That's just my observation but I'm still somewhat new to this. If you really want that price you can wait for it but I've seen bikes that stayed on CL for 3 years even when they're not crazy overpriced. Looks great though, if I didn't already have two I'd...

I very much appreciate the opinions offered here and thank you also to the mod for stepping in as I also belong to other forums where price bashing is unwelcome, as well. But, in this case, I was indeed soliciting price opinions from you guys who are in the know. I def wish to move this nice bike and appropriate pricing is what will help get me there.

One thing I think we can all agree on - these vintage XS650's are great bikes.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

best,
brian

Last edited:
Back