1977 XS650 - Cracked Gas Tank Mount Bracket

zoomxf

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advise. The rear bracket to my gas tank where the rubber grommet goes, cracked right at the rear edge of the tank, all the way across. I was able to have a certified welder, weld it back on. Now it cracked again after just a few rides, to the rear of the weld.

I'm thinking if I have it welded again, the crack will keep moving. Anyone experience this on one of these tanks
IMG_3603.JPG
? Should I find another tank and cut the bracket off completely and have it welded to the bottom of the tank? It has a beautiful paint job, so I'm trying to save the tank.

ZoomXF

Attachments

• IMG_3604.JPG
    IMG_3604.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 135
you need to find someone with a Tig welder that is used to working on small thin metal panels like a car bodyshop . A skilled welder will be able to either weld the existing bracket or replace it with a fabricated one by using low amperage spot welds and keeping the metal cool using copper blocks ,heat sinks and wet rags etc. Most welders will use a Mig and seam weld which will distort thin metal and ruin your paint job.

Looking for some advise. The rear bracket to my gas tank where the rubber grommet goes, cracked right at the rear edge of the tank, all the way across. I was able to have a certified welder, weld it back on. Now it cracked again after just a few rides, to the rear of the weld.
I'm thinking if I have it welded again, the crack will keep moving. Anyone experience this on one of these tanksView attachment 148714 ? Should I find another tank and cut the bracket off completely and have it welded to the bottom of the tank? It has a beautiful paint job, so I'm trying to save the tank.
ZoomXF

Hi ZoomXF and welcome,
I don't see the big ol' rubber thing that cushions the tank to frame bolt-up.
Is it the gas tank's rear extension that's cracked or is the crack in the frame's tank hold-down piece?
Either one, if you weld on a part you can kiss it's paint job goodbye.

you need to find someone with a Tig welder that is used to working on small thin metal panels like a car bodyshop . A skilled welder will be able to either weld the existing bracket or replace it with a fabricated one by using low amperage spot welds and keeping the metal cool using copper blocks ,heat sinks and wet rags etc. Most welders will use a Mig and seam weld which will distort thin metal and ruin your paint job.

Thanks for the info. The big rubber cushion is in there. It is the gas tank rear extension that the rubber cushion goes through the mounting hole. I'm not sure if he mig or tig welded it the last time, but he did not damage the paint on the tank. I just had to repaint that rear bracket. I may have to see if I can have another reinforcing plate welded under that existing bracket, if there is room to still get that rubber cushion on. The existing bracket my be too brittle now.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you,
ZoomXF

This is bothering me, those brackets "never" crack. Are the front cups and rubbers still in place? Is tank hitting, touching frame or something else under tank? How does that seat sit on the post? Is the bracket still at the "factory angle" to the tank?

I thought it was strange too, as there is really no pressure on this, especially with the rubber grommet. The front rubber grommets are both in place in the front and fit nice and snug. I don't thing the tank is hitting anything. I will take the seat fiberglass off in the next day or so and see if I can see anything that would cause this.

Back