1977 XS650 Replacement Reg/Rec

dillon0990

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
All, I have read many posts about this, but just need a little clarification. Also, most links are broken in the old posts.

On a stock charging system 1977 XS650 can I buy the following to replace the original regulator and rectifier? I am wiring from scratch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JKRIPUK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3HMB6GLG0WJ17&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C8053C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Since mine was stock with separate units, I do NOT need to do nylon screws in the brushes, correct?

I lost the old rectifier but I have the original regulator. Should I try using it or just scrap it and use the attached VR115? I did a top end rebuild on this and turned into a "brat" style bike. The bike has not ran in 15+ years. Like I said, I am wring from scratch using stock alternator and a new electronic ignition "XS charge" from mikes. I want to make it easy to wire and hopefully start up easy. I also bought one of the small 0.8AH batteries since this is kick only.

If I go with the VR-115, black goes with black, green with green, and the other two wires go together to brown correct?

Yes, those two are what you need.
Correct, you do not do the nylon screw mod.
Your wire colors sound correct. Lets see if someone else will chime in and verify.

You don't need a 100 amp rectifier, that's way overkill. Most of us use a 30 to 50 amp unit. If you search around, you may find one of those cheaper.

Guess I didn't look close enough... yeah... 100 amps is way overkill.
Here's a Windy Nation 35amp for ten bucks. It's the one I used.

You guys rock!

At the alternator plug there is the dark blue that goes to the engine. I think neutral light. What is the light blue wire for in the plug and what is the yellow wire that is separate from the plug?

Attachments

• 787FB4CD-AF2A-4057-B826-516ECBB12C67.jpeg
    787FB4CD-AF2A-4057-B826-516ECBB12C67.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 158
Yellow is alternator output to the safety relay. Neutral should be a light blue. Don't recall ever seeing a dark blue....

Yellow is alternator output to the safety relay. Neutral should be a light blue. Don't recall ever seeing a dark blue....
I might have made the dark blue one up. Need to double check. So all wire harness I see show yellow capped off. Do I cap it for my setup?

That blue wire should definitely be your neutral wire. This was my original wire.
F6E2EFB4-E443-4269-BAB2-B081F9EF6D20.jpeg

That wire was brittle and broke off, so I soldered another wire on that was a darker blue.
3C08C4DA-0C63-4DA6-B702-2D9381D3177A.jpeg

I double checked and it was just the one blue wire for neutral light . Since I’m going kick only and putting lights on toggle I will cap the yellow. Hopefully I can get this wired up in next week or two. May follow up for questions and to report how it goes.

Last edited:
That last one you listed can't be a rectifier, it only has 3 wires. I think it's a regulator.

That last one you listed can't be a rectifier, it only has 3 wires. I think it's a regulator.

Apologies........i didn't even look at the wires..........just thought, (and we know what thought thought), it was an earlier model rectifier............removed link

Back