1977 xs650

X77S

Let's do this!
Reaction score
Ok, I purchased a 1977 xs650 back in may of 2016 and I am just now getting into tinkering with things. I am missing the guage cluster, so no key switch. I am also missing the top half of the right side switch controls, so no kill switch.
The bike kicks over good and seems to have good compression. I have cleaned up the carbs to a point that it should fire up, and new plugs as well. So now i am trying to figure out what wires need to be crossed in order to get power to the ignition system. I plan on rewiring later on, just getting curious if it will even run.

So, i have a few toggle switches on hand, a fresh battery, but lack figuring out the wiring issues to get power to the ignition.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Here is a simplified wiring diagram that shows how the power gets from the battery to ignition switch to kill switch and then to the ignition coils/points:
Basic points.JPG

On the diagram from Retired gentleman you will see the power from the battery goes along a Red to the switch. This Red wire needs to be jumped to the Brown wire which provides power to the bike (I recommend using a switch as the jumper so the power can be cut off in an emergency). At the the kill switch the Brown wire needs to be jumped to the Red/White wire which provides power to the ignition coils.

Wow! That is a good diagram. All the ones Ive seen were black and white and not really bike specific.
So Im looking at switching red to brown and red/ white to brown. Wiring isnt my thing, can I assume that for temporary purposes that i could use one switch?

Thanks Paul you must have replied while i was writing mine. Sounds like I may be able to get things powered and maybe get things to fire off. Much appreciated.

You don't need to mess with any of the wires up by where the instruments and handlebar switches were, just provide power, preferably switched, to the brown wire on each coil. That will get the ignition working. You won't have any lights or the horn, but you will have spark.

Even better!

I dont care about lights etc.. not a one on the bike when i bought it lol.

This will be my first "basket case" bike. Hoping to learn a lot and maybe get out of my comfort zone mechanically. I know I can do anything, just gotta dive in.

20160831_204437.jpg
Not really a basket case, probably 95% on the parts. Thinking about brat style or cafe. Really leaning toward cafe.

Well there you go then. Yamaha made so many of these that good used replacement parts are pretty easy to come by, and usually not that expensive. A parts bike near the same year as yours could fix you right up. Be aware that anything older will have different sized forks and a different instrument cluster. Another '77, or maybe a '78 or '79 would probably work best.

Back