1978 Sidecover Dampers?

kshansen

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I know there are a few for sale on Epay but being a tight wad I just have a hard time spending $12.00 of a little bit or rubber that might be dry rotted from age even if in the original box!

Was wondering if anyone has come up with a simple solution to replace one or two.

I have some large heavy duty heat shrink tubing I was thinking of trying. If it won't work it would be easy to slit with a razor blade and remove.

Search ebay for side cover grommets or dampers and you will pull of things for other bikes that you can trim some and use. Like about a dollar for a bag of them from China.

yes generic grommits work OK for plastic cover specials. I actually am doing fine with mikes rubbers on the standards I just coat them with sil-glyde,

large heavy duty heat shrink tubing I was thinking of trying.
If you need something like heat shrink for your year, that self-fusing silicone tape might be perfect for it instead. Adjustable thickness and very abrasion resistant.

I tried the Mikes replacements, they only lasted a few years before splitting and failing. There were a couple intact originals on the bike when I got it, they're still there and fine while the junk repops have come and gone. So, I'm sold on originals. If you're patient and watch eBay, you can find them for $3 or $4 each. Consider it a one-time purchase as they'll probably out live you, lol.

The front and rear dampers differ slightly and have different part numbers. They are the same size and will swap, the rear just has an extra rubber lip attached to it. I guess that was to better retain the cover. I don't like or use that one. I think it makes the cover too hard to get on and off. I use 4 of the front "21717" dampers .....

uPqsNsN.jpg

Here's the rear "21747" damper with that added rubber lip that I don't recommend .....

szeyDHq.jpg

vC1esIo.jpg

Stick with the plain "21717" for all 4 tabs, just not these from Mike's .....

BMnY21P.jpg

I tried the Mikes replacements, they only lasted a few years before splitting and failing. There were a couple intact originals on the bike when I got it, they're still there and fine while the junk repops have come and gone. So, I'm sold on originals. If you're patient and watch eBay, you can find them for $3 or $4 each. Consider it a one-time purchase as they'll probably out live you, lol.

Sounds like a plan! I see if I can remember how to do a automated search on Ebay, at least I knew there was a way to set one up years ago that would do say a daily search and send you a notice when something showed up.

Google "save search eBay" and that will explain it all to you.

Back