1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

1978 Xs650SE Barn Find

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ElCamMan515, Jun 25, 2020.

1. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

ElCamMan515 likes this.
  2. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

[​IMG]
    You may source this from your favorite auto parts store. It is appropriate for cleaning your stator.

ElCamMan515 likes this.
  3. ElCamMan515

ElCamMan515 XS650 Enthusiast

Thanks @5twins and @jetmechmarty. I will keep everyone posted when I get it all back together once rotor puller arrives.

Tim

Raymond and jetmechmarty like this.
  4. ElCamMan515

Good afternoon,

Hope everyone is doing well. My rotor puller came so I got the used rotor on and put everything back together. Good news the battery is now charging, but it seems like when I get 1 thing figured out another issue arises. The battery is overcharging. When rev'd to 3k voltage across terminals is 15.3 to 15.6. I ran out of time to do anymore testing, but am I correct in thinking my regulator is in need of replacing?

Tim

5. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Jan_P and ElCamMan515 like this.
  6. ElCamMan515

Thanks Machine! I'll have time to tinker with it on Saturday.

Machine likes this.
  7. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Well, not necessarily. If you still have the original mechanical regulator .....

[​IMG]

..... it may just need to be adjusted. Maybe someone in the past turned it up to compensate for low charging output, maybe due to the brushes wearing short. Here's how to adjust it .....

[​IMG]

I'd try this first to make sure it is the issue. But do consider upgrading to an automotive VR115 regulator in the future. Even though the old mechanical regulator is a real tank, it's output is very erratic and bounces all over the place. I feel that puts more stress and strain on the rotor, forcing it to ramp up and down more than is necessary. As you've discovered, the rotor is a big ticket item, rewinds running about $100. If you can prolong it's life by spending around $20 on an upgraded regulator, I think that's a no-brainer.

Jan_P and ElCamMan515 like this.
  8. ElCamMan515

Thanks 5twins! I do have original mech regulator. I have Saturday off from work so I will be spending time in garage to make sure bike is all ready. I planned on going for a ride this Saturday, but weather is not turning out. Id rather have the bike fully operational than it failing while far from home.

Tim

Greyandridin and Machine like this.
  9. Machine

Sure do hear that. Carry tools and spark plugs.
    A guy just cannot leave an XS650 on the side of the road these days. For the first time I've added "road side assistance" to the insurance policy and it is cheap! (Tow)
    Hopefully never to be needed.

ElCamMan515 likes this.
  10. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I'd guess that the overcharging hastened the original rotors demise. Instead of alternating between low and high charge rates, it kept the rotor at high charge (max current) all the time.

ElCamMan515, Mailman and Machine like this.
  11. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Yeah, you have to take into account the X factor, here the bike was running great, but that didn’t stop my rear tire from picking up a screw and going flat. :( Luckily I have towing included in my insurance.
    70F41750-669F-49E0-926E-A7F54294B4AE.jpeg

12. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I've never had to call a tow. So generally speaking how does that work, do you pay the tow and get reimbursed, or just give the tow your insurance policy number?

Greyandridin likes this.
  13. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

In my case, I called my 24 hr phone number on my insurance and told them where I was, they said sit tight we’ll call you back in 5 minutes. They called me back and told me they had called for a towing service in my area and they were on the way, the payment was made by the insurance company. I just waited for the ride. The one wrinkle was the towing company called me when they were on the way and said due to Covid I couldn’t ride in the cab with the tow truck driver. I had to figure out my own ride home! Fortunately I wasn’t a hundred miles from home and my wife arrived about the same time as the tow truck to pick me up.

ElCamMan515 and Jim like this.
  14. Jan_P

Jan_P XS650 Junkie

Sweden
    As info
    A few years ago I had problems with the mechanical regulator and was trying to adjust it
    I tested more than one
    And had to give up ... I adjusted .. but i could not mange to keep it down on warm days and Highway runs
    I installed a voltmeter so I could read the Voltage . It was OK at times but then sometimes it was Off.
    I now have some Chinese rectifier and a Bosch type regulator
    I kept the mechanical on the bike disconnected a while should the electronic die
    To get home.

ElCamMan515 and Jim like this.
  15. Machine

e0490441321ab725ffcb0cf67490322ca67d075a_hq.jpg :rolleyes: well, this type of "road side assistance" is preferred but Progressive doesn't cover it..

ElCamMan515 likes this.
  16. ElCamMan515

I do plan on upgrading in the future, say in the fall if I can adjust the voltage down. I am loving this bike more and more every time I get to work on it, but really want to ride it soon.

Jan_P, Jim and Machine like this.