1979 xs650F build

fiftynineab

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is the bike from "returning back to stock ignition" thread https://www.xs650.com/threads/returning-bike-to-stock-ignition.55195/page-3#post-601697
I pick the bike up in 07. It had been bought off the original owner and wrecked the same day then put out in the backyard to marinate in the Sun. The seat skin had been baked completely off and it was a crumbly mess. The tires were no good. the forks were bent. The tank was smashed all the hell. The brakes were no good. Most of the rubber was gone. All the cables were no good. I had bought the bike with the intention building a bobber or a chopper. Upon doing research on exactly what I had I realize that it was the last year of the standard version of the XS650. And in looking for parts I I realized how rare the bike is. I brought the bike home put gas in it clean the carbs threw a battery in it got it running and it ran pretty good. I didn't have my motorcycles license and for the next for years I pretty much just moved it from house to housewith slowly accumulating clean OEM Parts off of eBay. At top dollar. Lol. In 2012 I moved to San Francisco and acquired a job that paid me enough to have a little extra money to waste on this bike. Haha. Another battery. fixed the forks, Progressive Springs and adjustable dampeners. New tires. New brakes. Newbrake pads. New brake shoes, clutch cable, throttle cable, brake lines, seat cover, rebuild master cylinder, electronic ignition, Mikuni carbs, converted to 12 volt alternator. A few seals here and there. And on and on. Anyhow it's been a fun Journey I've learned a lot. I definitely could have bought a used Harley-Davidson for what I have into it. I don't think I'll ever get my money back out of it. Unless I part it out. And that pretty much brings up to today. With your guys's help I was able to put the stock Advanced mechanism back in it and the points back in it. And its running pretty good. The next thing I will be doing is rebuilding the stock master cylinder. Because last week when I flush the system I sprayed brake clean into the reservoir killing my master cylinder. Ricky.

Attachments

• 20190716_174034.jpg
    20190716_174034.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 20190716_174133.jpg
    20190716_174133.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 170
fiftynineab, I’m particularly fond of your 79F repairs already :) Nice going !
When the time comes to stretch the rubber seal on that new master cylinder “piston”, be careful, use hot water and a tad of soap maybe? It is a tight stretch.
-RT

Attachments

• 74F02CDE-C8A1-44D0-AD74-A80AD19A00A3.jpeg
    74F02CDE-C8A1-44D0-AD74-A80AD19A00A3.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 76E593AD-08F5-41CD-A2F3-603202FCD62A.jpeg
    76E593AD-08F5-41CD-A2F3-603202FCD62A.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Here it is the bike from "returning back to stock ignition" thread https://www.xs650.com/threads/returning-bike-to-stock-ignition.55195/page-3#post-601697
I pick the bike up in 07. It had been bought off the original owner and wrecked the same day then put out in the backyard to marinate in the Sun. The seat skin had been baked completely off and it was a crumbly mess. The tires were no good. the forks were bent. The tank was smashed all the hell. The brakes were no good. Most of the rubber was gone. All the cables were no good. I had bought the bike with the intention building a bobber or a chopper. Upon doing research on exactly what I had I realize that it was the last year of the standard version of the XS650. And in looking for parts I I realized how rare the bike is. I brought the bike home put gas in it clean the carbs threw a battery in it got it running and it ran pretty good. I didn't have my motorcycles license and for the next for years I pretty much just moved it from house to housewith slowly accumulating clean OEM Parts off of eBay. At top dollar. Lol. In 2012 I moved to San Francisco and acquired a job that paid me enough to have a little extra money to waste on this bike. Haha. Another battery. fixed the forks, Progressive Springs and adjustable dampeners. New tires. New brakes. Newbrake pads. New brake shoes, clutch cable, throttle cable, brake lines, seat cover, rebuild master cylinder, electronic ignition, Mikuni carbs, converted to 12 volt alternator. A few seals here and there. And on and on. Anyhow it's been a fun Journey I've learned a lot. I definitely could have bought a used Harley-Davidson for what I have into it. I don't think I'll ever get my money back out of it. Unless I part it out. And that pretty much brings up to today. With your guys's help I was able to put the stock Advanced mechanism back in it and the points back in it. And its running pretty good. The next thing I will be doing is rebuilding the stock master cylinder. Because last week when I flush the system I sprayed brake clean into the reservoir killing my master cylinder. Ricky.

Good for you, for saving another nice old bike. You’re doing all the right things and learning and having fun in the process! Keep your progress reports coming!

Couple of questions one does anybody make a replacement master cylinder reservoir. Mine will still work it just looks like DS. 2 the large metal washer at the bottom of the reservoir is fairly corroded is this normal can you replace it is there anything you can coat it with to keep it from corroding.

Attachments

• 20190716_195528.jpg
    20190716_195528.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 152
:lmao: lol .. not all that Kleen
Mailmans bikes are KLEEN AF
Did the rt. mirror come loose ? It’s left hand thread . Just Incase this is your first Yamaha
Yes this is my first Yamaha but I did suspect it was right hand threads and I have had that mirror off before so I knew that but thanks for the heads up.

That washer doesn't look too bad. I don't think that's corrosion on it but rather just old fluid residue. Remove the 2 little screws and take it right out. Then you can clean it up pretty easily. Maybe you can use some metal polish on it like Mother's. Once assembled and covered with fresh brake fluid, it shouldn't corrode up. Brake parts get rusty because brake fluid absorbs water. That's why you need to change it every few years.

Well down the rabbit hole I go. I was going to do a real rough job on this not paint it and just replace the seals. Because it was working before I sprayed it down with brake clean. But I have come this far. I decided to submerge it in metal rescue. To see if I could remove the rust from the inside of the cylinder bor. And I think I'll clean up the outside and put a fresh go to pain on it. hopefully the metal rescue doesn't jacket up. :doh: besides there's a brand-new NOS master cylinder on eBay for $400 plus shipping!:laugh:

Attachments

• 20190717_085552.jpg
    20190717_085552.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 20190717_085550.jpg
    20190717_085550.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 130
Is there a trick to getting the front brake master cylinder and brake system bleed?
Ya, XS members have individual preferences.
I’ve been lucky just manually filling up the caliper and the master cylinder and with the bars turned left, master cylinder level, managed to coax the bleed to happen.
Patience.
I work the brake lever just a little distance each stroke. Tapping on the master cylinder to encourage the bubbles to rise .
After many bubbles have surfaced, I go for the old open/close caliper bleeder style while properly pumping of the brake lever.?
Done it before ?

Back