1979 XS750 Build based on the Wrenchmonkees XS750

tyrannotorus

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
History

A friend of mine bought a1979 XS750 with 81k km for his first bike. It ran great (I test rode it for him before he bought it), but it was too tall, big, and heavy for him. He then bought a new Iron 883 now and couldn't be happier, and sold the XS to me for $500.

The purchase price was right, and I wanted to put some $$$ down to cafe it into something like the XS750 build by WrenchMonkees.
https://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/yamaha-motorcycle-cafe-racer/yamaha-xs750-by-wrenchmonkees/

I'm not very mechanical, so I brought it to a local shop I was familiar with. The previous owner (who had fixed two bikes of mine; a 1983 XS650 and a 1978 SR500) was sick however, and had passed on his shop to his son-in-law. I showed the son-in-law photos of the WrenchMonkees build as the primary inspiration; we talked about the important parts - the welded rear hoop, the seat, the pods, rejetting, the wiring relocated, clip-ons...

He promised it could be done, and I started him off with $500 for parts.

8 months and a thousand excuses later, this is the bike I finally picked up...

The Bike As It Is Now

20221014_125140.jpg

^ The seat is the same the bike came with, so no progress there.

20221014_125148.jpg

^ Clip ons.

20221014_125156.jpg

^ New LED headlight is... well., It exists. I didn't want an LED headlight.

20221014_125205.jpg

^ Engine crudely painted matte black. I think he painted the engine black (which wasn't discussed) because he oversprayed everywhere painting the tank brown (which to be fair, he did ask to do). The other side of the engine is gloss black, because he probably ran out of matte black.

20221014_125218.jpg

^ Wiring all cut.

20221014_125223.jpg

^ Crudely cut aluminum wiring pan taped on.

20221014_125247.jpg

^ Pod filters. He said he rejetted when I asked him, but his response was "um, ... yeah", which means it likely wasn't.

20221014_125315.jpg

^ Tank was blue before. Not sure if you can tell.

20221014_140717.jpg

^ He did cut the rear off and get a hoop, but it's not welded.

So, What Now?

Luckily I only paid that $500 deposit. He sent me an additional invoice afterward and I ignored it. I could have destroyed my own bike better and for less money, thanks.

The state of the bike in point form
- Wiring loom is a mess and all cut up.
- I have a lithium battery.
- Seat no longer fits the frame, which has been cut.
- Rear hoop not welded.
- Headlight clearly not mounted correctly, with a mess of wiring hanging down.
- Engine in two different shades of black. How do I get the paint off?
- Clip-ons are there, but not tightened.
- Pod filters are there but likely not jetted for them.
- Rattle-canned, peeling brown tank with brown overspray everywhere.
- Tires are new!

Like I said, I'm not mechanical. I have all winter and can learn bit by bit, but I don't even know where to start right now. Should I take it all apart? Do I start with the wiring? Should I honestly even bother?

Last edited:
Ahh, sorry. I saw a couple 750 posts here and thought it was inclusive. Thanks for the response. I'll post over there ;)

You guys have something like Google Reviews or somesuch over there?
I know that won't help you, but it might warn off anyone else he might.... ahem..... "modify" their bike.

You have misinterpreted my post. The intention was to help not shoo you away. You are correct there are a few 750/850 threads on here.
It is just that being a UK based XS Triple specific forum it would be more helpful.

You have misinterpreted my post. The intention was to help not shoo you away. You are correct there are a few 750/850 threads on here.
It is just that being a UK based XS Triple specific forum it would be more helpful.

Haha. I didn't take offense (or mean any either; despite how my response admittedly sounds re-reading it just now) :)
750s are pretty different than the 650s, so that 750 board is the best place for my problem.

You guys have something like Google Reviews or somesuch over there?
I know that won't help you, but it might warn off anyone else he might.... ahem..... "modify" their bike.

I could, but I actually like the old owner, and I wish him luck if he survives and returns to his business. I'm just taking the $500 loss (now $1000 I guess with the purchase price) and the lesson learned.

I could, but I actually like the old owner, and I wish him luck if he survives and returns to his business. I'm just taking the $500 loss (now $1000 I guess with the purchase price) and the lesson learned.

sad story.
If the owner let his son in-law take over he must have known his capabilities and what it could mean for his reputation/business.

You are not the only one he, (son in-law), is going to rip off so don't let sentimentality override good sense, its a business. The guy asked for more money after doing that shit job he doesn't respect you as a customer and, either has no idea or is a con artist. Either way he should own up to his mistake and refund your $500.00.

Over here in Aus we have a small claim court where a judge sits in judgement on disputes up to $5,000.00. No lawyers. I have used it even if i only recover the initial cost and the court proceedings cost me the amount I am owed. Just making the other party pay, not only pisses them off it teaches them that they can't always get away with it all the time, usually for these people it is common practice and they prey on others apathy and good nature.

Make a build thread on here as well as the XS750/850 forum/site. there are good people on here who will help. I have a lot of XS750/XS850 information i got from a site that in now de-funked that the 750 site owner was supposed to repost on there but he hasn't.
His site
http://www.yamahatriples.com/

I see your already on the UK site:thumbsup:

Over the past 10 years, I had the honor of redoing some bikes from previous restorers.. Nightmare,. Everything is usually done wrong. Proportions when customizing and picking the part for customization (yes few cafe racers accepted in 10 years) are crucial for the final product..Using the expensive part is not always the best way.
Anyway, the best deal is to find someone to work under your supervision and who knows to draw his idea and incorporate yours..If he is poor at drawing, he is miserable in performing. Do not buy the "I have it in my head" story.

Back