1980 650 been sitting for a long time

jjvincent

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
My father has this 1980 Yamaha 650 and it's probably been sitting for around 25-30 years. He is in a nursing home and has dimensia. Anyway, I'm clearing out many items and this one is something that I'd like to get running and then sell it. It has 738 miles on it and all original. It sat in our machine shop for years only to end up in my parents garage. Always covered up and in really good condition. I suspect there are going to be issues with the carbs. I figured this as I had to get his old 1968 VW Bus up and running and I had to rebuild the carbs on it (it has a Porsche 911 engine in it), thus two triple barrel Zenith 40 TIN carbs on it (trust me, adjusting those is a real joy).

I'm a Porsche guy and grew up working on them. Thus many years at being a mechanic on cars. For motorcycles, I think I could figure my away around. I am assuming that upon selling it, someone wants to see it run. I do think in his basement, he has a shop manual for it. Since this is about 1000 miles away from me, I need to make every trip count. I just hope that the parts to get it functioning are not as expensive as Porsche parts. Here are a few pics of it.

6501.jpg
6502.jpg

My father has this 1980 Yamaha 650 and it's probably been sitting for around 25-30 years. He is in a nursing home and has dimensia. Anyway, I'm clearing out many items and this one is something that I'd like to get running and then sell it. It has 738 miles on it and all original. It sat in our machine shop for years only to end up in my parents garage. Always covered up and in really good condition. I suspect there are going to be issues with the carbs. I figured this as I had to get his old 1968 VW Bus up and running and I had to rebuild the carbs on it (it has a Porsche 911 engine in it), thus two triple barrel Zenith 40 TIN carbs on it (trust me, adjusting those is a real joy).

I'm a Porsche guy and grew up working on them. Thus many years at being a mechanic on cars. For motorcycles, I think I could figure my away around. I am assuming that upon selling it, someone wants to see it run. I do think in his basement, he has a shop manual for it. Since this is about 1000 miles away from me, I need to make every trip count. I just hope that the parts to get it functioning are not as expensive as Porsche parts. Here are a few pics of it.

View attachment 238215View attachment 238216
First and foremost, let me say sorry about your Father's health, sincerely.

Now, having said that I'm so glad you're on the other side of the country from me...this year (1980) and color of Special seems to keep following me home as of late! https://www.xs650.com/threads/1980-special-archeology-times-two.63794/

This looks like a very easy resurrection, just takes a little bit of time and effort...you being mechanically inclined is a huge step over most!

Hardest part will be the rear disc brake, both mine keep hanging up and I think Im going to need to replace my rubber hoses, caliper pistons, etc...

Carbs are easy to clean and get going...they will definitely need to be gone though if there was any fuel left in them.

Last edited:
First and foremost, let me say sorry about your Father's health, sincerely.
:agree:

If you can get it to start and run, that's one thing. You'll need a new battery. If you're lucky, Dad drained the tank and carburetors. If you're selling it from afar, sell it as is. What you can do to it in a hurry isn't going to get you much. Doing a complete service and making it good to go will likely take more time than you have. Some of these Specials have sold pretty high on BaT. Consider that. IMHO, people looking there are serious. People selling there are taken seriously. That's a gorgeous bike!

Last edited:
You being a Mechanic you can make it happen .. No doubt about that
But this being a Low mileage machine one could consider just doing the most important.

Having a dialogue with the Buyer .. Stating yes ..Running properly
but not much more .Untouched vehicles gets better prices .
Lesser owner induced problems

Here I would wait selling last week in April and May beginning June .. That is when most business is done at better prices

Beginning August not much happening taking longer time at lower prices.

Dementia is a terrible thing that I'm currently helping a parent with also - terrible for them, no fun for us.

Anyway, the parts (carb, battery, perhaps hydraulics) are relatively cheap, readily available and the work comparatively easy vs your experience. I guess the other issue is; what's your time and effort worth? In roadworthy condition it'll perhaps bring $4000 tops and the recent history (even on BAT) is more like $3500. As is, where is; could fetch $2000 from the right buyer, perhaps more.

Others: please feel free to jump-in if you think I'm way off

Dementia is a terrible thing that I'm currently helping a parent with also - terrible for them, no fun for us.

Anyway, the parts (carb, battery, perhaps hydraulics) are relatively cheap, readily available and the work comparatively easy vs your experience. I guess the other issue is; what's your time and effort worth? In roadworthy condition it'll perhaps bring $4000 tops and the recent history (even on BAT) is more like $3500. As is, where is; could fetch $2000 from the right buyer, perhaps more.

I pretty much agree with that... the dementia too. I've also got a family member with it. Anyway...

If it were me, I'd show up with a new battery and roll the dice. It's possible your Dad or someone else drained the tank and carbs before it went into storage. A new battery and it might just make vroom vroom sounds. Even if it runs rough, a runner will still draw more money. If not, there's always plan B... sell it as is.

As further FWIW, personally I'd list it (roadworthy or as-is) here in the classifieds and on Ebay (w/reserve) . IMO, Bring A Trailer doesn't have a whole lot of buyers for our particular niche bikes (original XS1-XS2's excepted)

On a side note. The gas tank was empty and if I had the guess, my dad drained it out, started the motorcycle and ran it until it quit (he would do things like that). Good that he took the battery out of it (none of that corrosion). I am thinking that he probably has the matching his and her set of helmets that they sold back then at the Yamaha dealer. Not like you'd want to use them but he saved everything. He bought it from one of his customers that had a Yamaha dealer. The guy liked Porsches too. I do know that the brakes actually worked and the tires held air (everything is original). I was shocked.

On a side note. The gas tank was empty and if I had the guess, my dad drained it out, started the motorcycle and ran it until it quit (he would do things like that). Good that he took the battery out of it (none of that corrosion). I am thinking that he probably has the matching his and her set of helmets that they sold back then at the Yamaha dealer. Not like you'd want to use them but he saved everything. He bought it from one of his customers that had a Yamaha dealer. The guy liked Porsches too. I do know that the brakes actually worked and the tires held air (everything is original). I was shocked.
Be careful, the brakes will work, but they wont release...especially the rear. I have two of the exact bike with the same back story and they both drag very bad. The fronts are fine, oddly enough.

Also, if you want to roll it around when and if the caliper sticks, a swift couple taps with rubber mallet on outside of caliper will free it right up.

Be careful, the brakes will work, but they wont release...especially the rear. I have two of the exact bike with the same back story and they both drag very bad. The fronts are fine, oddly enough.

Also, if you want to roll it around when and if the caliper sticks, a swift couple taps with rubber mallet on outside of caliper will free it right up.
A quick fluid change might remedy that.

Not saying that is wrong ..since I am in another part of the world ..but putting it up for sale here for 2 k
5 minutes after the ad ---the telephone would be on fire of all the incoming calls.

If the mileage is right and the numbers match no dents and so starting .. i believe the telephone would light up asking 3 k
also Little less for 4 k
Then it gets more difficult it is a rare object Not only one leading Zero on the Odometer but 2 TWO.
How often have you seen that . Known owner history..
This is a new 43 year old motorcycle .After some inspections ? Valve stem seals listening to it running

Not sold here under 4 k I believe -- Then i depends what the high rollers think and pays
But 2 k is low in my opinion no matter where in the world.
Might even make money shipping it here for 2 k

I don't see it as a big problem if the service is nor completely done .Those into this hobby can do it themselves.
Everyone accepts a little more job and service.. As I mentioned an untouched Car or Bike attracts more interest .
Because threads are not destroyed or silicone in the motor..
Might even ship it to a Brand shop doing it

In the shape it looks to be in you could almost make as much selling as is and not worry about having it running, as long as the kicker will turn it over and the pistons are free and it has compression. Save yourself the effort.

Nice bus too
The Bus is nice but pretty much worthless. It has the wrong engine in it and that kills the value. Plus since the paint and interior are origional, it's not in perfect shape. Honestly, I could remove the engine and sell it for more than the whole bus with the engine in it. Since it has a sentimental value to it for me, I'll take it. As for the motorcycle, not so much. All I want to do it get it operating correctly before it gets sold, as it's not right to sell it as is, as it'll get nitpicked to death in the internet to where I might as well take it to Barber and donate to their museum. I figured that with a little TLC and basic work, it will make someone else a good ride.

Nice bus 🚌
The bike; as other have stated, better to sell a runner, even if a little rough.

Back