1980 Build for Dad

Hello all. I am happy to announce that this bike is pretty much finished. I realize that there is no "end" to owning and maintaining a 41 year old motorcycle, but all of the major systems have now been gone through and it is running like new. The last couple of steps to finish it were as follows:

I ended up buying a new front tire and feel good about the decision. The new tire matches the rear and is as straight as an arrow. I also ended up replacing the drive chain and front sprocket:

upload_2021-1-28_18-14-48.png

My wife was nice enough to inform that that this gold chain looks stupid, good thing this is not her motorcycle! I also stripped down and painted the chain guard to match the covers, tank, and headlight bucket:

upload_2021-1-28_18-15-59.png

One last itch to scratch... The PO had the key for this bike on a Harley-Davidson keychain. I found this to be highly inappropriate:

upload_2021-1-28_18-17-39.png

After these last few items I went out for a good long ride and it performed flawlessly! I cannot believe how much quieter and smoother the new drive chain is. The new tires and rebuilt wheels also feel really good, like they just bite into the road. Stopped for some scenic pictures, but first a quick reminder of how this bike came to me:

upload_2021-1-28_18-22-39.png

And where it ended up:

upload_2021-1-28_18-22-56.png

upload_2021-1-28_18-23-5.png

upload_2021-1-28_18-23-17.png

upload_2021-1-28_18-23-33.png

I would like to thank all of your for the positive feedback and sound advice provided to me during this project. I have had a blast with this build and chronicling the progress on this forum. This has also been a grieving process of sorts for me... I only wish Dad was here to share it with me, but I like to think he would be pleased with how it turned out and proud of me for figuring it out. This one is for him.

If you have enjoyed following along please stay tuned for the XS1B! I will definitely need some help wiring!

Yes.........Jolly good show old chap.......Give your self a slap on the back

I think silver looks good on these bikes, the contrast, with the seat, makes the itt blend in with the whole bike.... The seat can sometimes absorb the visuals.................. The 80SSG seat cover looks good on the hinged seat

Hello all. I am happy to announce that this bike is pretty much finished. I realize that there is no "end" to owning and maintaining a 41 year old motorcycle, but all of the major systems have now been gone through and it is running like new. The last couple of steps to finish it were as follows:
These things are never done. Great job!!
Now show us more pics of rides. I'm sure your Dad wanted it to be ridden.

Yes, that did come out very nice, but if the headpipes are the original double wall type, they shouldn't be turning blue like that. That indicates you're running lean. If you still have the original 132.5 mains in there, I'd bump them up a size to 135s.

Thank you all for the nice words!
Looks like calendar materiel to me. :smoke:
:bow:

You gonna follow through on your Dad's plan to put electric start on the XS-1?
Definitely. Anyone hoping to see a straight restoration will be disappointed. Dad had several modifications like this in the works and I plan to follow through with them.

If you still have the original 132.5 mains in there, I'd bump them up a size to 135s.
Haha, "never finished"... They are the stock headers and I kept the original jets, so it looks like I have some work to do... Any suggestions for the pilot jet or should I just bother with the main?

I'd start with just the mains. The bike looks stock. Have you done any mods, like maybe pod filters? The BS34 carbs that came on your bike were set up very lean from the factory to meet E.P.A. specs. Any little change you make to intake or exhaust can throw them off, make them too lean. If the bike is still all stock then you shouldn't need to change the pilot, but you could richen the pilot circuit up a little bit by changing it's air jet. This has a smaller effect than changing the pilot jet. A #135 was stock, reduce it to a #132.5 or #130.

XuTgyBl.jpg

Many report their all stock BS34 equipped bikes run better with one size larger main. Being that yours is exhibiting signs that it's running lean (pipe discoloration) I'd say do it. Normally, the stock pipes don't turn color at all. That's what the double wall pipe construction is for, to stop that from happening.

Jet, if I recall correctly, you have K&N filter elements in the airboxes. They usually flow more and better than stock ones so you may need 2 up on your mains. Try both sizes to see what works best.

Yes, that did come out very nice, but if the headpipes are the original double wall type, they shouldn't be turning blue like that. That indicates you're running lean. If you still have the original 132.5 mains in there, I'd bump them up a size to 135s.

Yes Sir
I have had two 1980 ies during 35 years
The second one ran poorly when i got it with stock pipes and stock filters
Knocking severely and weak on top .
I got advice from XS Shop Kiel ( I could not have figured it out myself )
He recommended one step up on Pilot Jet and one on Main Jet
I asked him cant I go two step on Main so we get over this.
He said Why not.
So I did that ..It probably is a little to rich ..Plugs are a little sooty.
But if I ride hard in warm climate borderline perfect looking.
But the biggest advantage is that there are no vibrations at all
Especially not in the rev and speed .. range I do most on curvy back roads
Perfect. That is why I don't want to touch it
I cant remember if I moved the needle
But go for what 5 Twins says

Back