1980 regulator rectifier w pic

joebgd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Is this a combo reg/rec?
I've been searching and I am confused ab the combo. I see there are auto part inexpensive regulators and made rectifier. I would like to do that. This just has more wires than i am seeing needed. This is a pic of the device and wire clip to it. I searched the tech section as well. I would do the replacement with all new parts sourced from auto and electronic store if I was 100% on it. As of now im leaning tword a used unit of my pic from ebay.
Thanks for all input.

Attachments

• 20210925_124910.jpg
    20210925_124910.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 169
That's the starter/headlight safety relay... nothing to do with charging.
Your signature says you have an '80. If that's the bike you're referring to, it's on the back side of the frame downtube, just above the swingarm.
The '80 came with a combined reg/rec. If you need to replace it, building your own is an inexpensive option.
Have a look here.
I've had good luck with my homemade one.
EDIT: just noticed you put 1980 in the title, so yeah, this applies

Last edited:
That's not much money to risk, BUT, is it the proper "b" circuit for an 80?

I kinda like the separate rectifier/ auto regulator myself since it's cheap and is something of an homage to the people who figured it out.

EDIT: Yes, an A type for the later ones. I keep getting that confused.

Last edited:
That's not much money to risk, BUT, is it the proper "b" circuit for an 80?

I kinda like the separate rectifier/ auto regulator myself since it's cheap and is something of an homage to the people who figured it out.
The '80 and up use the A type regulator.

I'm seeing new reg rec for under 30$. Are they better or worse than oem? Does anyone have experience with them. I know on xs specific sites they are more expensive. I am curious if they have a trac record yet. I know the record of the homemade reg rec is good. But if I can get a plug and play ab as good or ab as good as oem I maysewll...

Will this work on my 1980? It's listed as 12v but I notice the one Jim refers to has a pic in where a sticker on the unit reads 14v.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013TC9L3...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
You'd have to research that one to find out if it's an A type. It doesn't say.

I see 12v some v not listed but say 14v on the unit
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/standard+motor+products,VR170,voltage+regulator,4884
Amazon has adjustable units...
That's the correct A type.

Rule of thumb.... if it's for an automotive application, it's gonna regulate to about 14.2V regardless of how it's advertised.

Back