1980 Special Archeology (times two!)

That SPII with the drum on the back will make it easier to fit a larger rear wheel, which is more in line with the tracker look. Don't get me wrong, I found I actually prefer the 16" rear on my Special. I tried an 18" and wasn't impressed much with it. I think the 16" looks better and rides better. The Special, with the way the side covers and seat angle down towards the rear, was designed for that 16" rear wheel, and I think it just looks "right" on there.

The reason I switched to an 18" when I got the bike was I read that they handled better. I didn't find that to be true, the difference was insignificant, and I think the bike rides better at higher speeds in a straight line with the 16" wheel, it's more stable. Plus, like I said, I think it looks better. I found this out when I swapped the 16" back on to wear out the almost new Dunlop that came on it. I'm keeping it on there, lol. When I finally do wear the tire out, I've got stainless spokes and a new alloy rim to rebuild the wheel with. I can put up with the 48 spokes. I couldn't with that 72 spoke front though, I think they look awful, lol. I already built a new 36 spoke front for it with a slightly wider 2.15" rim. I like it so much I've bought the parts (rim and spokes) to build another for a spare, lol.

View attachment 238045

View attachment 238046
Yeah, I have a set of mid 70's shouldered spoked rims already set aside for the Special II, drum brake and all. 😉

Last edited:
Took #2 out for a longer than anticipated ride today. A rare beautiful day here in the Northwest, couldnt resist.

Seemed like the more and more I rode, the better the bike started running and riding....it just needed to stretch its legs get some exercise after all those years of being dormant I suppose, so I ended up putting around 50 miles on ;)👍
1679185507335.png

Excuse the lack of side covers, I only have one good set of air filter elements still so I keep swapping em back n forth between bike #1 and bike #2. Too lazy to throw covers on for quick putts. 😆
1679185692536.png

Riding these Specials takes me back to my High School days working in local Yamaha shop (late 70's/early 80's) when I put them together out of the crate, serviced them, then took em out and test rode them all over the place.

Love that rpm tug at 4 to 5 grand. 😍

Last edited:
Back