1980 wiring diagram. NO PMA

Lowdown138

XS650 Member
Reaction score
NEW HERE AND THANKS FOR HAVING ME. I HAVE A 1980 THAT HAS ELECTRONIC IGNITION. IM WANTING TO BYPASS THE STARTER AND SELINOID COMPLETLY. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN A PMA KIT. I HAVE A KEY IGNITION. HEADLIGHT,TAIL LIGHT, NO KILL SWITCH. REG/REC COMBO. SHOULD BE SIMPLE YEA? DIAGRAMS HURT MY HEAD. HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

Hmm..I probably should not ask.....

So, if you just disconnect the positive battery cable - from the battery - to the solenoid and then run a wire with a 20A inline fuse from the battery positive terminal to the red wire entering the fuse box or (absent that) the red wire at the key switch (or terminal labeled batt on an aftermarket switch), you will have accomplished what you seek.

PS - all caps is the internet equivalent of yelling:)

Thanks for the reply. My reg rec has three yellow that run to stator/charging. What do the other two run to now? They ran to the solenoid before.

Should not go to the starter solenoid. There should be more wires than that on a non-PMA regulator/rectifier. Knowing the colors, or even a pic of it, may help.

Last edited:
NEW HERE AND THANKS FOR HAVING ME. I HAVE A 1980 THAT HAS ELECTRONIC IGNITION. IM WANTING TO BYPASS THE STARTER AND SELINOID COMPLETLY. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN A PMA KIT. I HAVE A KEY IGNITION. HEADLIGHT,TAIL LIGHT, NO KILL SWITCH. REG/REC COMBO. SHOULD BE SIMPLE YEA? DIAGRAMS HURT MY HEAD. HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

They hurt everyones head til they don't. The only way to really understand is to learn as your questions are answered. People on here will bend over backwards to help those that don't know but to be fair to those that do help, and if your going to work on your own bike, then one needs to help them selves, (and those who have helped), by learning.

What electronic ignition? Take the big red wire that comes from the battery off the solenoid, tape up the connector so it doesn't short out on a ground. Remove the solenoid and the other 3 wires attached to it.
They will be the big one that goes to the starter, the blue white that goes to the start button and the red white that comes from the ignition switch, tape that one up also.
81 stock wiring simplified.PNG

The current concern is the wrong type regulator/rectifier for an OEM alternator is present.

The current concern is the wrong type regulator/rectifier for an OEM alternator is present.
OK...
It's hard to tell if a reg rect is right/ wrong without ID'ing it.
Simple diagram shows where wires for the correct stock alternator's reg/rec should go.

To power a field coil alternator the Reg/Rec combo normally needs 7 wires - I suppose 6, if it is case-grounded. The OP describes 5 wires, 3 that are yellow.

Perhaps we need a picture of the alternator or stator; just to ensure we're on the same page.

If it WAS working, charging properly. I'll go with red to battery hot (not switched), green to alternator brush (the one that's not +12 volt).
The black in the background grounding the reg/rec case?
If you had a kill switch, I'd have red after the key switch but without a kill, there'd be no way to stop the motor from running.

If it WAS working, charging properly. I'll go with red to battery hot (not switched), green to alternator brush (the one that's not +12 volt).
The black in the background grounding the reg/rec case?
If you had a kill switch, I'd have red after the key switch but without a kill, there'd be no way to stop the motor from running.
Thanks, black in the background is from the coil

Yes. Red and green had a 2 pin connector on it. The green was a ground and the red ran to the solenoid. Idk if that was correct. This stock harness was all cut up before me. Jumpers all over to share power. It had a toggle switch and push button. Not sure what I need and what I now don’t. I had to pull the plugs to cut off the bike before

Back