1980 XS with 1000 miles- stored in a spare bedroom for 40 years!!!

Smorg

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
A guy who owns a Harley Shop next door to the bar my girlfriend has worked at for 25 years had his step dad die. He has seen me ride mid-sized UMJ's over the years. They guy who died was an old man who liked mid sized bikes and when he stopped riding he wheeled his bike into a spare bedroom until he died. He would wheel it out to his patio sometimes and sit on it over the years a couple of times but that was it. Is silver with hi rise seat. Has 1000 miles legit, no rust, no dry rot on the tires. Amazing Chrome!! The bike is now his step brothers. He wanted 3000 at first. The shop owner helped because I am not going to make it into a bobber but keep it like it is and drive it. So I am getting it for $1600 plus battery, tires, cleaning, carb job and whatever else to get it going. The shop owner estimated perhaps $600. I have a cheaper bike shop but I will likely have the Harley Shop guy do it as he has one employee who specializes in UMJ's for himself and the shop is top-notch doesn't usually touch anything but custom expensive Harleys.

Attachments

• miles.jpg
    miles.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 116
  • light.jpg
    light.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 119
  • profile 1.jpg
    profile 1.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 127
  • profile 2.jpg
    profile 2.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
A guy who owns a Harley Shop next door to the bar my girlfriend has worked at for 25 years had his step dad die. He has seen me ride mid-sized UMJ's over the years. They guy who died was an old man who liked mid sized bikes and when he stopped riding he wheeled his bike into a spare bedroom until he died. He would wheel it out to his patio sometimes and sit on it over the years a couple of times but that was it. Is silver with hi rise seat. Has 1000 miles legit, no rust, no dry rot on the tires. Amazing Chrome!! The bike is now his step brothers. He wanted 3000 at first. The shop owner helped because I am not going to make it into a bobber but keep it like it is and drive it. So I am getting it for $1600 plus battery and carb job and whatever else to get it going. The shop owner estimated perhaps $600. I have a cheaper bike shop but I will likely have the Harley Shop guy do it as he has one employee who specializes in UMJ's for himself and the shop is top-notch doesn't usually touch anything but custom expensive Harleys. Will post photo when get home..
Great score. Too nice to alter, IMHO.

Yep, learn to turn your own wrenches or keeping up on an old bike like this can quickly get very expensive and out of hand. But you've probably already noticed that, lol - $600 for a carb cleaning and battery. I completely overhauled 3 carb sets over the winter for less than half that, way less.

Yep, learn to turn your own wrenches or keeping up on an old bike like this can quickly get very expensive and out of hand. But you've probably already noticed that, lol - $600 for a carb cleaning and battery. I completely overhauled 3 carb sets over the winter for less than half that, way less.
The 600 is not just for the carbs, would be the tires and everything to get it going. In the past I have totally torn apart and cleaned carbs in my CX500 with a Jewelry cleaner before. But I work full time, am in an accelerated MBA program, and I have 7 acres of homestead to take care of. So If I want to ride this year, I need to pay to have it done. Still thinking about just buying the bike and having my usual bike shop do the repairs. They are dirt cheap, reliable, and I trust them.

Yes, it's an '81 model for sure. The big "tell" is the rear drum brake mag, '81 was the only year to get that. A simple handlebar change will transform the look and feel of the bike .....

$200SpecialClean.jpg

My bar of choice is the Euro bend, very comfortable because of the way they droop down slightly at the ends. This also allows the angled Special MC to sit nicely, almost level .....

$200SpecialClean4.jpg

$200SpecialClean5.jpg

Yep, learn to turn your own wrenches or keeping up on an old bike like this can quickly get very expensive and out of hand. But you've probably already noticed that, lol - $600 for a carb cleaning and battery. I completely overhauled 3 carb sets over the winter for less than half that, way less.I m

I may do it myself. I have before. But if I get both tires, battery, carbs clean an detail for the $600.00 I may just pay it and start riding.
I agree with you. Sometimes you just don't have the time to do everything yourself. If it will put you on the road sooner, swallow your pride, write the check and enjoy!

Yes, it's an '81 model for sure. The big "tell" is the rear drum brake mag, '81 was the only year to get that. A simple handlebar change will transform the look and feel of the bike .....

View attachment 217066

My bar of choice is the Euro bend, very comfortable because of the way they droop down slightly at the ends. This also allows the angled Special MC to sit nicely, almost level .....

View attachment 217068

View attachment 217069
Do you remember what brand of bars those are?

Back