1980 XS650 Tracker Project (UK)

wiganmatt

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm pretty new to the forum but have already read and seen a lot of helpful threads to get me going with the new build.

I bought my first XS650 about 6 month ago as a project to work on over the winter. A 1980 stock XS650, I actually bought 3 of these at the same time as when I got there to view this one there was 2 others sat there so I struck a deal on all 3! :doh: Anyway I've sold 2 of them to friends so they will be doing there own builds. :thumbsup:

As happens with most projects I didn't have any time over winter due to having a baby so I have only just started the build a couple of weeks ago but I have made pretty good progress so far.

I have lots of ideas and have enjoyed getting it all torn apart so far. I really like a lot of the builds threads on here, I'm thinking of doing a nice aggressive street tracker with a bit of a difference. :D

I will try and keep the build up to date on here as much as possible and may have some questions so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

:bike:View attachment 53655

trying to master this up loading pictures!!! Here is a better one of the first picture I have of the day I picked the XS up.

full

Now that I seem to of sussed out the picture thing I can get going with this thread!
I started the project at the begging of march and have struggled to find time but heres where I'm at so far...

First job was to get it in the work shop and hook it up to a new battery as it was bought as a none runner!
full

full

full

full

So hooking it up to a new battery wouldn't do the trick on its own so it was off with the carbs to give them a good clean out, new plugs fitted and fresh fuel in a work shop fuel tank connected and it started on the button. Unfortunately with the excitement of getting the bike started I forgot to take pictures :doh:

So here's the next bit of work that I've done on the bike, I carried on stripping the bike down ready for a bit of chopping and welding!

full

full

I then moved the bike from my garage at home to a friends fabrication shop were I could start to do the cutting, cleaning and welding of the frame.

full

full

full

full

Hey guys,

Sorry ive been a bit quiet on here for a couple of weeks ive been doing quite a bit of wok on the bike but not really had time to come on the forum and update this build thread! So here's a few pictures of how all the cutting and welding turned out...

full

full

full

full

full

Here is the first pictures of it put back together in the workshop

full

full

full

Im going to do a little bit of investigating on the electrics next!

So ive done a little bit of investigating of the electrics and ive bought a boyer branson ignition and a new PMA kit ready to go on!

full

full

full

Ive also done some more fabricating work and made some link pipes up to finish the exhausts!

full

full

I had a delivery as well in the last week, 16 x 5.0 Avon safety master mk2's

full

Looking good! Will you post some pics and info on the fender mount?
@Lasper01 thanks for the comment, yeah I can get some more pictures taken and posted up. Which bit do you want the info on? I've got Thursday and Friday off work this week to work on the bike so ill be doing an update on the progress at the weekend!

I was thinking about how you mount the rear fender and how you have cut it to fit the seat :)
Ah right ok, its quite hard to explain without pictures so i'll take some this week and add them to this build thread and try and explain it with them. It will be at the end of the week if that ok.

Looks awesome! I will be doing something similar. If you have any close-ups on your exhaust bend I's love to see them. Did you weld on a pre-bent section then grind down? THanks

why do you have points and a tci trigger?

@angus67 im not going to pretend I know what your talking about as im pretty new to all this! can you please enlighten me?

The trigger/picup on the Stater is for a Factory Electronic Ignition, (TCI), and the motors that had the TCI didn't have points as they weren't needed.

The TCI box was mounted under the battery box. Maybe the ignite'r box shit itself and points ignition was added as an easier/cheaper alternative.

Well hello all...

My god how time flies when your working 24/7 for almost 3 years! So would you believe I'm still on with this build as I've built my own house over the last couple of years around work so the bike has taken a back seat!!

Anyway... I have done a few little bits to the bike as and when I've had any spare time which ill upload some pictures of! I have also been collecting parts so now that i have finished my house and can start to do a bit of work on the bike it should make it easier and also not cost me a small fortune!

Hopefully i can update a bit more frequent now its going to be getting worked on again, Here's where it's at right now!
IMG_2377.JPG
IMG_2416.JPG
IMG_2421.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2784.JPG

Back