1980 XS850 Special Cafe project

Dante

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So, I know I bought a 'cruiser' type bike to convert into a Cafe Racer, but it's turning out nicely. I've done more work on this bike than any others...probably more than all of them combined, but it's the only 40-year-old bike I've owned (so far), so that should probably be expected.

She leaks oil (less than she did when I got her....still hunting), she needs a clutch (I have friction plates but need the metal plates to complete the job), and I can get the starter to come on sometimes when I crank the handlebars hard right....loose wire in the headset I think.

Fork seals have been redone, brake pads (but not lines...yet), LED integrated headlight (has turn signals), LED integrated tail light, Cafe seat, new Mikuni VM34 carbs & K&N filters, Delkovic pipe, new tires, single speedo (hence, the gaggle of wires in my headset).

Her name is Trinity (She's a triple, and my 3rd Yamaha) I bought her from a guy trying to make her a bobber, here are some before/after shots

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 206
  • Leftside.jpg
    Leftside.jpg
    689.9 KB · Views: 377
  • Rightside.jpg
    Rightside.jpg
    944.9 KB · Views: 218
I like the Delkovic pipe for the XS 750/850, its well made and great value for money. In my opinion factory specials are the hardest to turn into cafe racers but I think you have done a pretty good job.

Thank you! It means alot to hear a word of encouragement sometimes and I have been battling mightily with the jetting of my carbs. The Delkovic is great, if anything happened to them, I'd gladly buy another. Those dang carbs almost got me to buy another bike with EFI. Almost...

Riding this bike is weird for a 'sport bike' guy like me, she's not the quickest, but pretty dang fast. Rolling the throttle is pretty nice, not rushing through the gears, not trying to drag my knee through all the corners...that's nice too. I'm kinda riding her like the old man I am, what have I become? haha

She's a sweet bike, fun to ride, NO CHAIN. I find her to be very intuitive, maybe it's the clip on handlebars, but she's super easy to ride. I feel like I've been on her for years. I really enjoy the sound and feel of the triple, my last bike was an inline 4 (YZF600r) with a Yoshi (YS3) pipe

That was my very first bike! 1980 XS850SG, black.
The before pictures made me all nostalgic! That was a great bike and we had many adventures in my youth! I like the cafe/brat look you're going for. Looks good on the old girl!

Back