1981 xs650 lighting

Davescycles

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Does a stock 81 xs650,headlight not energize until the engine is running? Tail light comes on with switched power. does all lights run through emergency lighting box?
thanks
Dave

There's a relay pack that has two relays. One's the starter cutout and the other is the headlight on relay.
5-6vac from the alternator cuts out the starter and turns the headlight on after the engine is running.

Thank you, thats what I needed. The brown wire from harness to reg/rec, is suppose to be close to battery voltag,mine is a full volt lower? I disconnected the ign switch and ran a jumper wire to to by pass it. But got same 1 volt lower,then battery voltage?

Still loosing a volt after jumping ignition switch. Could be any where in the Ignition, Key on, circuit. Drawn in the power up to ignition and when key is on, + the taillights, if it helps.

81H-SH and later suplimentry 214 214 copy Crop Copyright.jpg

Last edited:
Skull - something caught my eye on the wiring diagram. I could be wrong. Have a look at the meter lights for the tacho and speedo. The colouring is wrong. E.G. the common wire for the speedo should be black not yellow. If the guy is going to use this diagram for tracing lights, it may throw him a bit.
Regards Ray.

Skull - something caught my eye on the wiring diagram. I could be wrong. Have a look at the meter lights for the tacho and speedo. The colouring is wrong. E.G. the common wire for the speedo should be black not yellow. If the guy is going to use this diagram for tracing lights, it may throw him a bit.
Regards Ray.

Good catch. This is out of a manual i got from the650cafe. Will fix.

EDIT: Fixed and changed digram

Last edited:
When iggy goes on voltage flows into the alternator rotor its a big draw, and will drop battery voltage.

I realize with ignition on and circuits activated there is current draw. My issue is the brown wire to reg/rec is 1 full volt below battery voltage, brown wire tell regulator how much charge battery needs? The ign switch is usually the culprit but by disconnecting and jumping direct,brown wire to reg still shows 1 full volt less then battery voltage?

Already said this'
I realize with ignition on and circuits activated there is current draw. My issue is the brown wire to reg/rec is 1 full volt below battery voltage, brown wire tell regulator how much charge battery needs? The ign switch is usually the culprit but by disconnecting and jumping direct,brown wire to reg still shows 1 full volt less then battery voltage?

Now following Gary's thinking. There is a drop in voltage in the charging system when the key is turned on. This will draw/show the voltage drop on other components when taking a reading........ they are on the same brown wire........if the bike is started up then the voltage reading should increase when the rotor/stator are working.

If your not starting the bike, then the next thing is eliminate along the brown wire. Disconnect the plug going to the stator. Check voltage. if the volt is still missing follow the brown wire and re-pete and check. could be loosing it in the fuse box work along the brown wire and past the fuse box if need be..........

Last edited:
Back