1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Sold / Found / Inactive - 1981 XS650SH Tail Light Plug

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by BowlingSS, May 7, 2021.

1. BowlingSS

BowlingSS XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

I need just the plug with the wires for a 1981 XS650SH. I need the one you see in the picture not the wiring harness one.

Thanks.
    IMG_1424.jpg Bill

2. BowlingSS

No one have this plug. I guess I will have to cut the harness plug.

3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Those connectors are like two and half bucks new Bill.
    Have a look here at Vintage Connections.
    EDIT for anyone reading this thread in the future: The link above is the wrong connector. This is the correct one.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    jetmechmarty and BowlingSS like this.
  4. BowlingSS

Thanks I will.

Jim likes this.
  5. BowlingSS

Please let me know. I cannot find one anywhere.
    Thanks. Bill

6. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Unless it is very important to you to have an exact original connector you should be good going with the Vintage Connectors ones. Without looking at the plugs on my 1982 can't say if they do have the exact style.

One thing to keep in mind is often the plastic housings can get brittle with age and the contacts also get corroded. And don't forget we are talking 40 year old parts. Even if they look good there can be corrosion where the terminals are crimped to the wires.

Jim and gggGary like this.
  7. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I used that connector I linked to on my '80. It's an exact match. The quality is top notch too.

8. Jim

My bad. Forgot they were round pins.

9. BowlingSS

All I need is the connector with the wires. Can you cut off? How much for just the connector?

10. Jim

The correct one is here. It's 7 bucks though.

11. BowlingSS

I am not using the taillight. I have an Omar’s tail light. I just did not want to cut the connector from the wiring harness off to install another connector. I only need the blue, yellow and black wires.

12. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Still not a bad price with the terminals included. And if it prevents one breakdown or saves from getting rear ended or a traffic ticket even someone as tight with the money as I am it would be a bargain!

Jim likes this.
  13. BowlingSS

D95EBA35-E8A1-4911-9D88-6CA77C4D9D86.jpeg
    Is that the same one or will I need to install both?

14. Jim

I bought one to pigtail in a strobe brake without changing the existing wiring. They plug right into the bikes existing connector.

strobe boxes.jpg

strobe boxes installed.jpg

BowlingSS likes this.