1982 xs650/Wiring harness simplified.... pls help..

I'm head'in out for a bit of a ride, but I have time to do the reg/rec.: 3Wh, 1Bk, 1R, 1Green & 1 grey is the odd. To verify where it goes, likely to original brown, temporary plug it in to Ebay harness to verify grey goes to brown and wire it that way to stock charging system (stator & brushes) as in either diagram above

the 8 pin TCI’s only have 7 wires. It’s the one you need. Like I said, that chopper harness is as plug and play as you can get. Seriously. There are only 5 individual wires you need to hook up and 2 of them are grounds. It’s never going to get any easier than that. Try that, then if you want to scrap it go for it. These are 40+ year old bikes, they are always going to need maintenance or some work. Take that into consideration going forward

This is a guide...............if your working on a harness your already have or building a new one it needs to be broken into sections/circuits. Ignition, lights, gauges, indicators, ect. here is a set of diagrams that has a pamco ignition set up to help.............

Learning to continuity test a harness will also help you learn about the harness the wire colours going to and from the separate circuits
Continuity testing for dummies
https://www.xs650.com/threads/continuity-testing-made-easy.49917/

Put them all together and you get this
That's super Skull; I think a lot of people get overwhelmed just looking at the full diagram and get frustrated - maybe don't realize it has pretty straightforward pieces.

I agree. I learned to understand harnesses by learning to continuity test. I can't say it enough that it is the best way to learn, by breaking it down and working on each circuit.

I don't know where i got these from, Could have been From a Jayel posting.

Lol my bike has been bobbed already therefore the harness on it is butchered down to wat you only need, I only bought a factory harness to get the wires off I need to make my own harness... I appreciate all this but none of this helps I even stated this in the post lmfao I need a simplified harness diagram and instructions on wat wire goes to were my wires was burnt up this is why I need a step by step diagram

taking it to the scrap yard I can't get help
There's folks near you that can help, AFTER you adjust your attitude.
This site is full of helpful guys but you gotta WANT to get help, get it to run.
You don't have a CDI you have a TCI
the "8 wire" doesn't use one of the positions only has 7 wires.
Dafluk you doing at a guy that fruks yo bike on purpose?
Most garage mechanics can follow this diagram to a running bike.
problem is arc n sparc might have nuked some electronics. So trouble shooting might be extra work.
There's pretty good chance whoever built your bike used this diagram it's prolly the most followed TCI diagram. Mostly has stock wire colors.

81 stock wiring simplified.PNG

Now....the OP wanted a video, step-by-step, next it'll be "need a virtual reality app. for wiring". Darn younger generation.....

Now get off my lawn!

I don't see how I had an attitude but okay... This is why I don't like to ask for help anyways...
I'll be blunt lose the pity party and start recognising you ARE getting help from the greatest concentration of XS650 knowledge in the universe.
Mebby do what we ask, and show us some pics of the damaged wires?
Y'know help yourself get help.

Well, people tried helping you. Telling you what to look for, asking for photos of the electrical issues, and giving you ways to solve the problem. Instead you sent a full picture of the bike instead of any specifics, then said “nvm I’ll do it myself” when JP obviously can’t see anything useful from the pics, then talked about scrapping the bike because you didn’t get spoon fed the exact answers you wanted. Then, one gentleman and one asshole googled simplified wiring diagram and sent you the same one at the same time. Googling was the bare minimum you could do. You purchased a new reg/rec and harness to rob wires from (why not just buy wires) but didn’t bother googling simplified wiring diagrams. Your first bike is a 40 year old motor, hard tailed, and you wanted to scrap it the second something went wrong. You may be in over your head. There is a lot more that’s going to go wrong, I can almost guarantee that. People around here have no problem TEACHING you and HELPING you solve your problems, but a lot of these guys are older and to put it as my foreman told me “done holding you dick”. We can give you all the diagrams in the world, but we can’t wire it for you. You have to want to give a shit.

Lol my bike has been bobbed already therefore the harness on it is butchered down to wat you only need, I only bought a factory harness to get the wires off I need to make my own harness... I appreciate all this but none of this helps I even stated this in the post lmfao I need a simplified harness diagram and instructions on wat wire goes to were my wires was burnt up this is why I need a step by step diagram

Those diagrams i had posted are as simplified as you want to make it...............just had to add a circuit as per requirement.........I'm not interested. Removed unwanted diagrams

I would suggest you pick one of the simplified diagrams, study it and draw it from memory, read up on what item does what, once you understand what all the items do, isolate the ignition items and draw a diagram just for ignition. Do the same for charging and lighting systems. Ignition systems, charging systems, lighting systems are quite simple once you understand the function of each item. Trying to work out how many wires go here, how many go there, will get you nowhere. Similarly trying to understands a complete system, lights, charging, ignition, particularly factory systems, will only confuse you. You cannot successfully wire a bike without an understanding of the various components. Once you have an understanding, you won't need a diagram.
You will get lots of help here, unfortunately you will also get a lot of name calling and abuse, same as any forum. Use the ignore function and persevere.

Last edited:
I have a 1982 xs650 heritage special, Its my first bike I got the joy of ridding it for 2 weeks an someone I know pulled the big red positive starter solenoid wire out of the solenoid an touched it to other wires trying to jump it off or force it to start it my keys wasn't in it at this time an the bike was trying to turn over.... after this my bike lost spark an some wires got burnt up....
Someone you know needs their fingers broken.

Back