2003 Royal Enfield 500 Deluxe

Seriously, really am so relieved the bike has passed the MoT. There was the worry that it might require 'impossible' changes - for example, if the headlamp needed adjustment it's not obvious how to do that with the fixed casquette arrangement. Or other problems like if the brakes had not been up to scratch. But now I know we can have a long future together.

Nearly one year of owning this bike and I've done so much to it. Without wanting to tempt fate, I now have a useful, classic, road legal, starts readily, looks and feels like 1940s motorbike. Sounds old fashioned, looks old-fashioned, returns 80mpg (UK gallons), starts conversations - that can be a mixed blessing - still needs the carb tweaked, will have another go at making the wiring tidier.

Will no doubt get around to looking inside the engine but the Royal Enfield has such a basic engine. All parts for the bike are readily available and not outrageously expensive.

And it still makes me laugh out loud when we're out together.

PICT0167.JPG

The odometer now reads about 1850 but might not get in many more miles this year . . .

Seriously, really am so relieved the bike has passed the MoT. There was the worry that it might require 'impossible' changes - for example, if the headlamp needed adjustment it's not obvious how to do that with the fixed casquette arrangement. Or other problems like if the brakes had not been up to scratch. But now I know we can have a long future together.

Nearly one year of owning this bike and I've done so much to it. Without wanting to tempt fate, I now have a useful, classic, road legal, starts readily, looks and feels like 1940s motorbike. Sounds old fashioned, looks old-fashioned, returns 80mpg (UK gallons), starts conversations - that can be a mixed blessing - still needs the carb tweaked, will have another go at making the wiring tidier.

Will no doubt get around to looking inside the engine but the Royal Enfield has such a basic engine. All parts for the bike are readily available and not outrageously expensive.

And it still makes me laugh out loud when we're out together.

View attachment 227476

The odometer now reads about 1850 but might not get in many more miles this year . . .

Youve done such a nice job on this bike Raymond and so much of the work you’ve done is things that you can’t see, making the bike more reliable and easy to live with. I particularly like the instruments. Just a real beauty! 😉

The Royal Enfield is running well but I know it could be better.

Using small throttle openings, it pulls away nicely, lopes along well enough and will easily do indicated 55-60mph. Which is all I ask of it. Word is, these old iron barrel engines will do 60 all day, 70 on the odd occasion and 80 - once.

But facing a headwind or a slope, give it a bit more throttle and the response isn't right. Gets a bit louder but not much more go. Closing the throttle actually makes it pick up better again. Maybe a sign the mixture goes weak when the throttle is opened up?

Accordingly, have invested in some jets:

PICT0549a.jpg

There's two new pilot jets, two new mains and a new emulsion tube. I think that is what I have generally called a needle jet in the past.

At present, the carb - that's the Mikcarb VM28 - has a 25 pilot, 117.5 main and AFAIK standard emulsion tube. Purchases are 27.5 & 30 pilots, 120 & 125 mains and a P0 richer emulsion tube. Have a needle clip on back order, in case the one in there breaks or flies away never to be seen again. Well, could happen.

Obviously, the plan is to have a play and see whether a richer set-up will improve things.

Depending when the Salt arrives, all this might have to wait for a few months . . .

Sounds as you're heading the right direction:
"Look for the strongest pull from the engine. If the engine dies, then recovers when the throttle is closed a bit, or hesitates and then takes off, a lean condition is indicated. Increase main jet size until the lag is eliminated. Check behavior in rolloffs. If the power surges when you roll the throttle from WOT (wide open throttle) to 3/4, it's often a sign of leanness. See if increasing MJ's a step yields better power." - The Grizld1

I might make only one change at a time; perhaps a main jet only and then gauge response. The exception would be also changing the pilot with the main if the air screw is near a half turn and it needs choke for an extended time on warm-up - then I'd be tempted to change both pilot and main.

Last edited:
😄 80 - once , that’s too funny, but probably true!
Unfortunately, seems there is a grain of truth. The Indian pistons have a cooling/expansion slot cast into them which gives a weakness and can lead to the top coming off the piston. Hitchcocks sells a forged piston, made in Britain, much stronger and eliminates that particular failure.

They can be tuned to go faster. There a bloke in Wales, Paul Henshaw, aka The Bullet Whisperer, builds people all sorts of tuned Bullets - including long stroke, large capacity monsters. You can replace the big end bush with roller bearings, fit a stronger conrod, etcetera.

I'll be happy with a nice old-fashioned 500 single which feels like it's able to deliver its design power output comfortably and reliably. That might involve taking a look inside . . .

Today, as noted here https://www.xs650.com/threads/whats-your-weather-right-now.20388/post-766729

took the Bullet for a loop around local back roads and country lanes. Went through Ancrum on a fifteen mile route. Beautiful morning, though the Sun is low and doesn't dry the road surface where there's hedges or under trees or whatever. The Sun doesn't reach the back yard very often either at this time of year:

PICT0550.JPG

But yes, Bob, you are quite right and we are very lucky to have lots of quiet little roads ideal for slowly chuffing about.

Re-living a bygone age.

However, the Sun feels quite warm in the front garden, so that's where I'm off to.

Today, swapped out the 117.5 main for a 120. All else left same. Five miles of muddy test ride:

PICT0562.JPG

First impression - it's better. Before, leaving the village in 3rd gear, up a slight incline, adding more throttle made the bike louder but not really any faster. Wouldn't engage 4th until the top of the slope.

Today, added more throttle and the bike actually accelerated. We were soon in fourth. Didn't go far on the muddy roads but, playing with the throttle, response is much better in all gears at all speeds. I mean, without getting carried away - I still regard 60 as fast enough for this pre-historic engine.

I knew if the mixture was too rich, swapping the main would instantly feel horrible. But I was not sure if a beneficial change would be as noticeable so I'm very pleased that it feels better.

Probably leave it like this for now. Might eventually try the 125 main. Or play with the needle height again. Oh, by the way, managed to find a source for those pesky little needle clips, have some on order.

Not a lot to report. With freezing temperatures, snow on the ground, more on the way later today and the garage colder than a witch's tit even working on the little Bullet is on pause right now.

In another place, the Unofficial Royal Enfield Community Forum, the question was asked why owners of iron-barrel Bullets seem to be posting less often. Are they - the owners that is - dying off? Or have they discovered that there are other bikes with FI and e-start and given up on 'proper' Bullets?

Here's my shot at an answer:

We own and ride a useable and functional antique, and I'm lucky enough to live in a quiet rural area with thousands of miles of country roads and little lanes to explore in an unhurried manner. Often find meself laughing out loud as we bop along and it's the implausibility that sommat so ancient in looks and design is actually a very nice motorbike to ride. But that does require involvement.

Mrs has asked me why I don't buy one of the 350 'classics' - similar olde worlde styling but modern reliability and all for an affordable price?

Sure it's tempting to go and spend 4 1/2 grand and have a pretty little 350, undoubtedly would be fun to ride, but that's where the experience stops. Pastiche styling, bike under warranty, dealer servicing or bid adieu to the warranty, plug into the diagnostic computer to check it all works? Nah! I'll stick with a basic old plodder that requires the owner to embrace it's foibles but rewards with a sense of achievement when it all operates correctly.

It's a real shame if the puddle of people happy with the quid pro quo of riding and tinkering is gradually drying up but I hope to soldier on for as many years as possible with my museum piece.

Not a lot to report. With freezing temperatures, snow on the ground, more on the way later today and the garage colder than a witch's tit even working on the little Bullet is on pause right now.

In another place, the Unofficial Royal Enfield Community Forum, the question was asked why owners of iron-barrel Bullets seem to be posting less often. Are they - the owners that is - dying off? Or have they discovered that there are other bikes with FI and e-start and given up on 'proper' Bullets?

We own and ride a useable and functional antique, and I'm lucky enough to live in a quiet rural area with thousands of miles of country roads and little lanes to explore in an unhurried manner. Often find meself laughing out loud as we bop along and it's the implausibility that sommat so ancient in looks and design is actually a very nice motorbike to ride. But that does require involvement.

Mrs has asked me why I don't buy one of the 350 'classics' - similar olde worlde styling but modern reliability and all for an affordable price?

Sure it's tempting to go and spend 4 1/2 grand and have a pretty little 350, undoubtedly would be fun to ride, but that's where the experience stops. Pastiche styling, bike under warranty, dealer servicing or bid adieu to the warranty, plug into the diagnostic computer to check it all works? Nah! I'll stick with a basic old plodder that requires the owner to embrace it's foibles but rewards with a sense of achievement when it all operates correctly.

It's a real shame if the puddle of people happy with the quid pro quo of riding and tinkering is gradually drying up but I hope to soldier on for as many years as possible with my museum piece.

You make a good point @Raymond.
I'm sure a few of us 'old guard' are passing over to heavenly motorcycling nirvana beyond the pearly gates.
My dad was a genius engineer in my eyes; making parts to keep his charges running when 'old parts' were not available, or affordable.
His well used CZ bike just seemed to keep on going with the help of his tinkering; as did the two stroke Suzuki's and four stroke Honda's over time.
All of which were considered 'old' during his ownership. I guess thats where I unconsciously formed my limited skills when in his company.
At 60 years old I am relatively 'young' to be meddling with 40 year old bikes; and have restored a few 70's Honda's over the years. I have developed a lot since joining this forum since the acquisition of the XS650, with the help of the members here. I really enjoy the challenges of spannering on the old girl; just as well as I haven't yet ridden it in anger over the past nearly two years.
As Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull once warbled 'to young to Rock & Roll'...........Not in my book!

Perfectly reasonable answer Raymond - agreed on all points.

Pete

:agree:
What you said, AdamC (and Raymond of course) I am also perhaps a wee bit younger than some on the forum at 57, but the knowledge and experience shared here has enabled me to enjoy this old bike way more than I otherwise would have. Wrenching on it has made it my favourite bike out of the 7 I've had over the years.

:agree:
What you said, AdamC (and Raymond of course) I am also perhaps a wee bit younger than some on the forum at 57, but the knowledge and experience shared here has enabled me to enjoy this old bike way more than I otherwise would have. Wrenching on it has made it my favourite bike out of the 7 I've had over the years.
Well said!

I'm sure a few of us 'old guard' are passing over to heavenly motorcycling nirvana beyond the pearly gates.
My dad was a genius engineer in my eyes; making parts to keep his charges running when 'old parts' were not available, or affordable.

I think you guys are right on the mark. I believe with every generation we are moving away from mechanical interests and towards electronics and high tech interests. Looking at my own family, my grandfather was a farmer in Missouri in the early 1900’s. He was a skilled blacksmith and mechanic out of necessity because they lived in a remote rural area and when things broke you had to be able to fix things yourself. When my father was a young man he began working the farm with my grandfather, they pooled their money to buy a Model T truck to use on the farm.
A04DF6C7-AA05-4F85-A580-8920506CF232.jpeg
I remember my father talking about how creative and hands on they had to be with repairing their equipment. He told me how that old Model T lost a crankshaft bearing once and my grandfather dropped the pan and cut a piece of leather from his belt to use as a temporary bearing. 😄
My dad was also a very accomplished mechanic, I learned a lot from him. He rebuilt car and tractor motors, built the house we lived in on the farm, he could fix anything!
Fast forward to my generation, I grew up in the muscle car era, every high school boy worked on cars, we did all our own maintenance and service work and tune ups. But compared to my father, my experiences were much more limited. My family moved to the city in the 60’s , and consequently I grew up as a city kid.
Now the next generation…..my two sons, they grew up in the computer age, playing with Nintendo games. Try as I might , they had no interest in learning how to work on things, they don’t like to get their hands dirty. They’ve done alright for themselves, one works in an office for the state, the other is a medical tech. But when something needs fixing, they pay for it to be done.
I now have four grand kids, and I’m quite sure none of them will ever hold a wrench or learn how to fix….anything. 😥

I think you guys are right on the mark. I believe with every generation we are moving away from mechanical interests and towards electronics and high tech interests. Looking at my own family, my grandfather was a farmer in Missouri in the early 1900’s. He was a skilled blacksmith and mechanic out of necessity because they lived in a remote rural area and when things broke you had to be able to fix things yourself. When my father was a young man he began working the farm with my grandfather, they pooled their money to buy a Model T truck to use on the farm.
View attachment 232033
I remember my father talking about how creative and hands on they had to be with repairing their equipment. He told me how that old Model T lost a crankshaft bearing once and my grandfather dropped the pan and cut a piece of leather from his belt to use as a temporary bearing. 😄
My dad was also a very accomplished mechanic, I learned a lot from him. He rebuilt car and tractor motors, built the house we lived in on the farm, he could fix anything!
Fast forward to my generation, I grew up in the muscle car era, every high school boy worked on cars, we did all our own maintenance and service work and tune ups. But compared to my father, my experiences were much more limited. My family moved to the city in the 60’s , and consequently I grew up as a city kid.
Now the next generation…..my two sons, they grew up in the computer age, playing with Nintendo games. Try as I might , they had no interest in learning how to work on things, they don’t like to get their hands dirty. They’ve done alright for themselves, one works in an office for the state, the other is a medical tech. But when something needs fixing, they pay for it to be done.
I now have four grand kids, and I’m quite sure none of them will ever hold a wrench or learn how to fix….anything. 😥
My family story is similar. So sad.

View attachment 232033
My dad doesn't turn wrenches. Never did. He was a school teacher. My grandfather came to the U.S. in 1923 with $20. He was an adult. He found a job in a factory. I didn't know him as somebody who could fix stuff. Then me. I'm a licensed Airframe & Powerplant mechanic. While I can't hold a candle to many of you on this forum, I do a far better job of fixing stuff than most people I have to pay to do it.
There is hope.

Back