2003 Royal Enfield 500 Deluxe

Sunday, pulled t' Enfield out and kicked. Uh? No compression . . . just swings through.

Took tappet cover off - access is so easy-peasy on this pre-WW2 engine design - and checked there wasn't a valve being held open. Nope, both push rods turn real free. Too free if I'm being fussy, probably need to tighten them just a smidge.

Kicked over a few times, using the voltage drop at the ammeter to judge roughly the engine position. Voltage drops as the engine is coming up to tdc on what should be the compression stroke. Started about the fifteenth kick and ran fine. Warmed 'er up, shoved a helmet on me bonce and went for a short ride. The roads are a salty mess so didn't go far, just up through the village.

BTW, engine seems to have rediscovered its compression. IDK, sticking rings??

But it felt really really nice to be out again on the museum piece - could feel the familiar grin spreading.

Must try to be patient for a wee while longer.

Hmm..I don't know how the kicker works on those, but if through the clutch might have been a hibernation issue there - rather than top-end:umm::shrug:

Hmm..I don't know how the kicker works on those, but if through the clutch might have been a hibernation issue there - rather than top-end:umm::shrug:
Oh, I pulled the clutch and gave a couple of swings to free the plates. Are you thinking the clutch might have been letting go? Seems fine.
The ammeter showed a discharge 'till you came up on TDC... so most likely not clutch/kicker related.
If I had to guess... sounds like the oil got washed off the rings and cylinders wall. A quick run restored the oil... and compression.

Actually it was wild, idle conjecture on my part (kinda). If it felt like the kicker was turning shafts and pistons and such, yet little compression, then top-end sealing......If it felt like the kicker wasn't engaging much of anything, well then sprague clutches, spring loaded pawls and clutch plates. So - as I'm bored - the discussion prompted a search that landed here:
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=31017.0
:shrug::shootme::er:

Yeah, you see these guys with a garage full of XS650's and parts or a garage full of Sportsters and parts, we all know the reason for that. I was at an XS1100 rally at Lake George. One of the newbies broke down. I offered assistance and got rejected. Another veteran said to him, "Hey! He knows what is wrong with your bike." Given another chance, I had him running in under one minute. I could do the same with a Boeing 767. It's all in what you are familiar with.

For the first time since 24th February, pulled the Bullet outa the garage and started the engine. Course, once it was warmed up, had to go for a run. Just up through the next village, then ambled around a few country lanes and came home.

PICT0646.JPG

The bike started second kick, which is pretty amazing for something that's only been out once this year. Of course, it felt alien at first, remembering to use right foot and lever UP to select first. Then DOWN for second, third, top. And at first, changes back down the 'box were awkward. But it got better and my feeling is that an old-fashioned contrivance like this needs to gradually wake up after a lay off?

Must have done maybe a dozen miles in all, and the gearchange was definitely easier.

Oh my goodness, it's a bike which insists you take your time, and that really is kinda fun.

'Nother short outing today. Been enough rain over the past two days to wash the roads again.

Went up past the tall TV mast at Lindean, doon the hill the other side to the main A7, turned off past historic Abbotsford house and home via a small unclassified road that goes over the shoulder of the Eildon Hills. Not an epic adventure but far enough to remind myself of the unexpected feeling of joy that somehow arises once you get past thinking about the right foot, one-up & three down gearchange.

Took a camera, intended to stop someplace interesting and take a picture of the bike against the backdrop. But as usually happens, never remembered to stop.

So 'yer tis in the back yard. Again!

PICT0658.JPG

If this bike was a golf club, would it be a putter?

Note to self, the new speedo records 2136 miles, ought to do another oil change and set the tappets soon.

Took the museum piece to the filling station today.

PICT0684.JPG

Done 2,300+ miles together but it's still such a novelty having a bike looks so old fashioned, readily starts and useable on the roads.

Was going to say useable in modern traffic but TBH I don't think I would like to head for city stop-go traffic on the poor beastie. Manages well enough in this mostly quiet part of the world though.

Last edited:

View attachment 241987

Done 2,300+ miles together but it's still such a novelty having a bike looks so old fashioned, readily starts and useable on the roads.

Was going to say useable in modern traffic but TBH I don't think I would like to head for city stop-go traffic on the poor beastie. Manages well enough in this mostly quiet part of the world though.
I would love to have one Raymond. But my tracker only has one seat and she who must be obeyed wants a bike capable of two up day tripping.

View attachment 241987

My hands are too old for that city traffic.

Back