2018 Vintage Yamaha Rally

Wulfbyte - let’s meet for breakfast. Lakeview and I will be at the Iron Horse by around 7:15-7:30 or so. Lucille & Lakeview’s bike are parked under the awning near the LH end - both are red ‘76s and Lucille has the factory orange, white & brown decals. Both have Tail bags too.

Cheers & welcome!

Pete

Got back late last night since I only came up for the day.
Got to put some names and faces together which was nice, saw some really good looking old Yamahas and got my Kawasaki fix when a darn good looking GPz750 Turbo showed up. And best of all...had a perfect ride on the Tail of the Dragon. No one in front. no one in back, perfect weather, no cops... Loved it. The café bike ran pretty well except for the taillight (which was working the night before) and my starter button. I also have a few oil leaks to look after but other than that it thumped right along... I'm sure I won the award for trailering up from just three hours away but I should get a pass since my farm truck is almost as old as my 650. Top speed is about 65 MPH but it really prefers to cruise along at 60.
Next year I will be there for all three days.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    393.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 264
Absolutely - and it WAS great to finally meet some folks and see their beautiful bikes - and be able to match faces and voices to names.

The riding was great, the company was delightful and Lucille behaved like a perfect lady :cheers: - which was a treat after these past few months.

Sooooo.....
BC124D9A-F5B6-485D-8F45-199C356D2B16.jpeg

Last edited:
.. I'm sure I won the award for trailering up from just three hours away but I should get a pass since my farm truck is almost as old as my 650. Top speed is about 65 MPH but it really prefers to cruise along at 60.
Next year I will be there for all three days.

We did away with the HAULEY award. It no longer fits. Thanks for coming up!

Lakeview and I had a fast and uneventful trip back to Motown/Windsor and after unloading my darling Lucille, we’re both back at our respective homes and recalling what a blast we both had at the 2018 Vintage Yamaha Rally.

The scenery was great, the fellowship was excellent, the riding was sublime - wow!

Excellent job Marty, Kurt and team - really a great event!

Pete

32345114-ABDC-4840-AAD2-840DC054C4D2.jpeg

Last edited:
It sounds like this year was a real winner and a great turnout too! I look foward to seeing photos of the gathering and hope to see some faces in there too. Pete, you have been long overdue to have fun without drama on Lucille.
I’m very happy that you had a good weekend and Lucille behaved herself!

Big Blue on the way out of the Dragon. Returned from the Rally without missing a beat in just under 13 hours, including 2 meal and gas stops, plus a couple stretch your legs breaks.
Thanks to all the volunteers who worked to make the VYR event the success it was.
20181001_075041-1.jpg

Lucille, the old bitch (oooopppss.....I mean the dear old lady - of course) ran like a top! No leaks or funny noises, no break downs (except for a head re-torque, timing chain and valve adjust on Saturday afternoon) 52 MPG and power TO BURN! She is one hot old babe.

Lakeview and I really had fun - at least 13 or more XS650s of nearly all years and a great group of folks: Marty, gggGary, RJP1, XS79StLouis, Marlin, ThatXS650Guy, Wulfbyte and so many other great guys. We had discussions about life, retirement, priorities, bikes (needless to say) and so many other topics. I needed this - thanks everyone!

....and Lakeview’s Chevy Express van - Big Blue - hauled our two 1976 XS650s in a graceful and effortless fashion.
89AF85F2-948D-42E3-B36D-FC5035933A2A.jpeg

She got the Dragon sticker and she, without question, deserves a genuine....
8B6EBDE2-6CB4-4C4A-B5AD-F7376C697E1C.jpeg

....but next year - CHoHW - we ride!

Pete

Last edited:
Just got back myself from that awesome rally myself, a very nice uneventful ride home,the ol’ xs did great,I think I abused her on the weight but she took it! Next year I’ll pack lighter, but now time to give her some TLC,LOL!Glad to got to meet you ,Pete and Lakeview,hope to be able to take a ride with you guys next time! And yes the rally was great and all you Yamaha riders are awesome! Thanks for a HHHHHOOOOOWWWWWWLLLLLIIIINNNNGGGG and a GGGGRRRRROOOOOWWWWWLLLLIIIINNNNGGGGG great time!

just read the whole thread and I'm blown away by you guys . What an amazing experience and great camaraderie...I so wish that there were events like that over here ...it sure would make the legacy of 50 years working drudgery and stress fade away in my twilight years

At the moment I'm stuck in a chair with back spasms (DDD) so I've not been able to ride or work on my bikes for a while now and I really miss it.
Still ....as long as I'm lucky enough to be able to spend some time every day with you guys on the interweb its bearable

Some great images in this thread.thanks everyone for posting.. wulfbyte I'd sure appreciate it if you could put any names to faces on your lineup picture

.....and don’t forget Lucille!!! She’s the red ‘76 with the stylish orange and red striping on the fuel tank near the middle of the pack :D plus there were at least 4-6 other 650s there that didn’t make the photo. I was told that this was a record number - last year there were only 5 or so.

It should be noted that the event is really an outgrowth of the Yamaha XS1100 event so there were quite a few of the larger multis there: XS750/850 triples and the various 4 cylinder models plus one or two RD350 ring-dings and a smattering of other brands as well. It was a great crowd with around 50-60 bikes in total.

I do like the fact that the event welcomes all brands & models. There are few enough riders and nice people around these days that segregating and excluding people on the basis of what they ride and how old their bike is, just seems sort of dumb to me.

Pete

Last edited:
.....and don’t forget Lucille!!! She’s the red ‘76 with the stylish orange and red striping on the fuel tank near the middle of the pack :D plus there were at least 4-6 other 650s there that didn’t make the photo. I was told that this was a record number - last year there were only 5 or so.

It should be noted that the event is really an outgrowth of the Yamaha XS1100 event so there were quite a few of the larger multis there: XS750/850 triples and the various 4 cylinder models plus one or two RD350 ring-dings and a smattering of other brands as well. It was a great crowd with around 50-60 bikes in total.

I do like the fact that the event welcomes all brands & models. There are few enough riders and nice people around these days that segregating and excluding people on the basis of what they ride and how old their bike is, just seems sort of dumb to me.

Pete
Very well said!

Must be getting old, took me till 4PM today to ride the 950 backroad miles home, 500 miles monday 8AM to 8PM made it to Southern Illinois, 450 miles today 7AM to 4PM home. I slacked and stopped for breakfast and lunch today. Only some light drizzle this morning.

On the foothills parkway Saturday.
20180929_121431.jpg

The oddly named Dry Falls
20180930_110657.jpg

JRP1 and MaxPete, Lying about who's fastest?
20180928_163300.jpg

AFAIK there were NO mechanical difficulties with ANY XS650 at the rally, the XS1100s? a different story. :wink2:

Last edited:
Back