2021 BMW R-18 Review

Boog

Traveling Stroyteller
Top Contributor
Reaction score
3-13-2021
I test rode the 2021 BMW R18 today. The base price start in the high $17K range and goes up over $20K plus. I rode the “First Edition” model that starts at $19K.
2021-r18h-jpg.jpg

2021-r18j-jpg.jpg

BMW has two primary R18 bikes, the more basic model and the bagger. From what the salesman tells me, the Bagger has a wind screen, fog lights, bags, and different wheels and tires. The base model runs on Bridgestone and bagger runs on Commander III skins.
Bridgestone…
2021-r18a-jpg.jpg

Commander III…
2021-r18abagger-jpg.jpg

The R18 has a shaft drive on the right side. I like the look of it.
2021-r18b-jpg.jpg

The reach to the bars is exactly where I want it to be. They put too many buttons and switches on it though. BMW Named the rider controls “Rock, Roll, and rain” Rock is the performance mode and roll is for cruising they tell me. The bright light trigger is on the far side.
2021-r18c-jpg.jpg

I like the odometer being where it is, very easy to look down and see it. The wind screen is not too big, but maybe it could be a tad bit bigger. The gas tank surely needs to be bigger as it comes in at a Sportster like 4.2 gallons. Still, the lines look nice and they were going for nostalgia.
2021-r18d-jpg.jpg

The bags are big enough for me. They will hold my lunch box nicely along with all the other things I carry like an air compressor, tire repair kits tools and so on. The lid latches down with these two fasteners and on top is two push snaps.
2021-r18e-jpg.jpg

2021-r18f-jpg.jpg

The exhaust on the bagger look and sound much better to me than the fish tail design on the other bike.
2021-r18g-jpg.jpg

You probably want to know about the ride right? I love it! This bike is so light compared to my Rocket III and maneuvers easily around a parking lot. I was able to come to a complete stop three different times without putting my foot down, the balance is great.
The torque is instant from Idle on up. The seat of the pants feel is that is has more initial grunt that the 116 of the Indian Springfield I also rode today. The Indian will over take it a few seconds later, but the initial hit is nice on the R18.
Handling is great too in the curves. And the breaks are awesome. I did an emergency stop as I shifted into fourth gear under power and the bike stopped right away perfectly balanced with no indication of sliding.
The six speed gear box seems well sorted as well.
It does not a passenger back rest or luggage rack. It does have a back rest for the rider.
Over all, I could see myself riding this bike for many years if I were to buy one.
2021-r18i-jpg.jpg

Interesting to read your impressions of the new R18...I saw one last year at TWO of Suches..on a Sunday a.m. a BMW dealer brought this bike to display..with his business cards on the seat...I think its a cool ride...I also think that muffler is fugly....that also seems to be the case for many other new models as well...
nnWHKpbzcfNvHI9YXATME8Sa5wT4FPHbvaM7CxYwwkd3ZuSXN6Drgf0iTwYpDWURF9LQ65fzKdWzrqUzhLIewwVnGLM-dGHKU-9nnM_4L9W__q1M5Wm8MMDawOKJ47NQ0loZMtCGJje1koQsD8Q64DXFPWObFy8X81S78bYLW8MNgX-_mn-DaN7sK6biCePsrfe3oxpu09ud582QupGUOQnnjHRQbt17ACXjZZptJwOzNyFWfhxcLv9X9OGNoUEnYGz_enaFx6EtvNaKbA5rVspa3noHHvQWibhukaTxjC6fz3rh6qb501Qp6ZCrBi9KceFCm9ylkEnjB7lkuXdr97ve-IBrgv_uBaA9exJnlWNhWD409Q7Nm3fZQU-XmWI90dN84rwsXjX8KuGufh3OGEZSm4mEj60fT6-wFrOvTvzw51Oq1h4_cFta9fcnsGOsg_YIPuxK77ZebdJgsL6YkuaIXPyC8JemieD9_hQvhOXEMFjPVyf-on9MufZAFSGd6_FsOp5d4Cbdk_VxJjMohM6nTLdcG2ATJo9iZgktekfZkuVogTYe36345o4PnG02yEy0qzvexB4YtT_OWAJbd-40GWdfyf4N_l8gXmEkhrZsU3qkKDVFdJcSrhXhEv_B30Za5YieECQyL8oaURNft60FYiqXiFFHeDEn_o_IiOFWTjqh9Gn8JsjOVX6wndmoLvg0j_uCDfZZN9MC1qJ48T4I=w1489-h1117-no

Great photos and it was very interesting hearing your perspective, especially since you are a big bike rider already.
I absolutely love the look of the R-18, they hit all the right notes on that one. I have never seen it all dressed up as a bagger before and I think it really enhances the looks. Before it looked too much like a custom show bike that was too impractical to ride. Now it looks like a bike that you could really use. I always thought that that bike would carry its weight very low and be easy to handle.
I’m curious, have you ever had any interest in that bikes Italian cousin. The Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring model? Similar price and maybe a tad more sporting. Plus a 5 1/2 gallon fuel tank.
4B571D7A-F6E4-4CC5-AF6F-D2D9C2017627.jpeg

Last edited:
Compared to the Indian, the R18 is way sexier. I've been lusting after an R18 since they I saw the prototype at the BWM headquarters in Munich a couple of years ago.

Great photos and it was very interesting hearing your perspective, especially since you are a big bike rider already.
I absolutely love the look of the R-18, they hit all the right notes on that one. I have never seen it all dressed up as a bagger before and I think it really enhances the looks. Before it looked too much like a custom show bike that was too impractical to ride. Now it looks like a bike that you could really use. I always thought that that bike would carry its weight very low and be easy to handle.
I’m curious, have you ever had any interest in that bikes Italian cousin. The Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring model? Similar price and maybe a tad more sporting. Plus a 5 1/2 gallon fuel tank.
View attachment 187018
I actually know a fellow with a California right now. He has a tick over 50K miles on his and swears he will never own anything but a big Guzzi from now on.
I haven't got to ride one myself but do indeed admire the looks of it and love its sound.

The problem with the N-S crank twins.
guzzi.jpeg

And that's a short Italian rider...
I gotta say this: Show me a successful European adaptation of the American cruiser motif.
I thought that new beemer was originally more of a BMW roots piece but it seems to have gotten cruiserized?
Even Japan struggles.
PS my tastes don't count cuz I'm far outside the bell curve.
20201103_104618.jpg

I even put the "quiet"stock pipes back on this.

Last edited:
The problem with the N-S crank twins.
View attachment 187058
And that's a short Italian rider...
I gotta say this: Show me a successful European adaptation of the American cruiser motif.
I thought that new beemer was originally more of a BMW roots piece but it seems to have gotten cruiserized?
Even Japan struggles.
PS my tastes don't count cuz I'm far outside the bell curve.
View attachment 187059
I even put the "quiet"stock pipes back on this.

What? You don’t think BMW understood how to make an American style cruiser when they put out their first effort? :laugh2:
D681A0D0-9062-4632-A3E2-9D5D18C39AC0.jpeg

By the way, I think those Guzzi jugs look like knee busters too.

A few Comments
Historically riders here has not been tolerant towards each other
BMW was more Touring Enthusiasts little older going long distance in full leather down to Europe.
Did not mix that well with the Triumph riders Cafe racers. types
Both groups looking down on the Other ..
" Goddam Credit Card rider Afraid of getting his manicured lily white hands Dirty "
and worse
and the other
" Filthy Hooligans without mufflers ...half criminals getting us Real motorcyclist a bad reputation jail them "
and so . Never any fistfights but they kept them to their own
I think it is more or less unheard off changing between those groups
I think it is the same today
the Triumph / Norton owners racers have in some degree moved on to Harley Davidson
often vintage .. Prepared to do some work on machines as before.
Two strokes another set of people
Gold Wing another
So the motorcycling hobby has also other aspects mechanical work .. The social side ..Friends ---Aspects that some like
Harley Davidson have their kind of people and they have their meetings clubs social events.
Arrangements
All in all it seems to be nice gatherings What I hear Nice people. Ladies there :There are the Credit card Riders there to.
I feel it is an important aspect
I was told as a teenager Buy a Motorcycle join the club you will have a good time.
And many of those HD rider does that for the Social side of it Not necessary driving many miles per year.
Work and Family. But sometimes go to the place talking about everything.

So I feel that the BMW is a fine riding bike But most likely don't fit that well into any group at the social side.
Perhaps the Touring enthusiasts .. But definitely not the Brit bike people And most likely not the HD
crowd.
And it is expensive. Therefore I think it wont sell that much here
Had I bought one of those and met the Vintage HD riders that rode Triumph then I do believe they would still shake their heads

Back