2023 XS650 Calendar - Nominations

The one bike I do remember! - didn’t get a build thread but it’s one sweet ride!

@takehikes I nominate this bad boy.

96AC433A-B66E-4BD5-813B-D7798C42226F.jpeg

Is the tank/seat from Omar's?
Yes the seat is, I bought it probably 20+yrs ago from Omar's.
The tank is custom made from aluminum because the ethanol in our gas messed up the fiberglass tank Omar's sold me.
I built a tank out of steel and it came out great but I messed up putting a liner in it. Started coming loose in chunks. So I got a motorcycle tank builder to make one just how I wanted it.
I'll be turning the fiberglass and steel tanks into wall sconces, once I get settled in my new place.

Last edited:
Here is my second Nomination

WideAWAKES XS2...............Although this bike, when owned by Mailman, was in the 2020 calendar it has had a change of tank, (painted in XS1/1B stripes), since that should allow the bike to Qualify due to a different appearance under a new owner
1660532435007.png

Here is my second Nomination

WideAWAKES XS2...............Although this bike, when owned by Mailman, was in the 2020 calendar it has had a change of tank, (painted in XS1/1B stripes), since that should allow the bike to Qualify due to a different appearance under a new owner
View attachment 221902

On behalf of Mailman (and jim’s) hard work… I’ll accept.

There are a few bikes nominated already that I would have nominated myself. To broaden the field I will be nominating bikes not yet recognized. If I mistakenly duplicate a nomination so be it.
My first nomination will be...
@DogBunny 's 1973 Rustbucket. Perhaps a survivor..
But it is really in a class of it's own.
DSC01660.JPG

There are a few bikes nominated already that I would have nominated myself. To broaden the field I will be nominating bikes not yet recognized. If I mistakenly duplicate a nomination so be it.
My first nomination will be...
@DogBunny 's 1973 Rustbucket. Perhaps a survivor..
But it is really in a class of it's own.View attachment 221905
That is hard-core badass right there! Skateboard seat with a rolled up Mexican blanket cushion, corrosion everywhere, lake pipe cutouts and TASSLES on the handlebars! Perfect!

My third nomination...
After conferring with @The Old Cult to be certain that build has been completed I will also be nominating his Dragonball build from earlier this year. That build is introduced here. The attached picture is not of the completed bike. The Old Cult relayed to me that he will be updating the thread and posting new pics to the forum in the next few days. I will add updated pics here once that is done. I would invite all to check out his thread.

@Travis , @willis
THIS BIKE DOES NOT HAVE AN XS650 ENGINE AND IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE CALENDAR.
I APOLOGIZE FOR THE ERROR.

6c7ec30377d5ff31da939465b5c6a37.jpg

Last edited:
My last nomination...
Because of his health issues I am not sure that his build will be reassembled in time for the calendar. I'm not even certain what the absolute cut off date for absolute completion is.
His build is documented in numerous different threads, each addressing whatever task he was tackling at the time. His attention to even the smallest details (que spoke threads showing) and fabricating craftsmanship is equaled by only a few on this site. It is worth noting that the gorgeous bike's picture I attached was disassembled and detailed all over again which is why it now needs reassembled. I am referring to @toglhot .
As far as I know the build is unnamed but he has said it is his final build, so that is what I call it.
I am including a picture of it although it's unfinished at that point. I present it here because it is worthy if it can be completed in time.

WIN_20220412_15_44_06_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, not a hope in hell of it being finished any time soon due to hip slowing me down, and I'm fast losing interest, so it may never be finished. Thanks for the nomination though, although I'm sure there are others more worthy than mine.

Mailman's XS2 comes to mind though.
Even though I really dislike stockers, Mailman's XS2 is a superb example (as far as stockers go).

But, if Mailman's XS2 doesn't make it to the top of the pile, I would like to suggest a 28th amendment to the constitution 'No bike shall be rebuilt to original specifications'? Surely two-thirds of both houses of Congress would vote for that??? Or am I being intolerant and judgemental again?

Sorry Mailman!

Last edited:
@toglhot

Mailman has sold his XS2........As mailmans XS2 was in the 2020 calendar it cant be nominated again in the same form as it was when it was voted in.

As the bike has been sold he also couldn't accept the nomination unless the New owner agreed to let him.

As the bike has been altered to look different, then the new owner can accept the nomination to go to voting as long as the Admin is in agreement and hasn't changed what has already been previously done in the past

My third nomination...
After conferring with @The Old Cult to be certain that build has been completed I will also be nominating his Dragonball build from earlier this year. That build is introduced here. The attached picture is not of the completed bike. The Old Cult relayed to me that he will be updating the thread and posting new pics to the forum in the next few days. I will add updated pics here once that is done. I would invite all to check out his thread.View attachment 221910

Great build.............doesn't look like an XS650 though

You guys can mock me as much as you like...................In the past i, as others, have gone through the pages of nominations and added up the Nominations, seconds and acceptances. It takes a lot of time to make the list and repost to add up how many bikes are ready to be added to the voting list. Quite often the seconded stage had been left out disqualifying the bike, once this had been established some one quickly seconds it/them. This has usually been done 2 or 3 times through the nomination stage because it is a shambles and some one does this to help Samoran1 who has done this calendar thing for all of us who love their bikes, Just a little selflessness to help him for everyone else's benefit.

Not having to tally up the second posts make for a hell of a lot easier transfer to the voting stage

Those who have never done the list in the past i challenge you to do it this year.............it's going to be so much easier, shouldn't take more than 10 - 15 min

Back