21 inch wheel on xs400?`

seniorsalazar

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello everyone i just recently got my firstbike its a 81 xs400 special 2. I absolutly love it my wife got it for me, she has been riding her whole life and i wanted to learn to ride. well upon me getting it i started to mess with it and came across a brand new Harley 21 front wheel my question is what do i have to do to make it fit my front end. any help will be appreciated thanks!!

- here is a start

- could also match bearings, OD to fit the harley hub and ID for the XS axle and turn spacers to fit

i looked at that link i might be crazy and still a noob but i dont see how to make it fit.

Welcome to the site!

You'd have to figure out if you want to swap the whole front end over or just the wheel. If you go for the whole front end, the link that inxs posted is a good start for the basic concept. I'm not sure how different (if any) the head tube on an XS400 frame is from an XS650 though…. If you just want to swap the wheel, in addition to what inxs said about bearings and spacers, you'll also need to think about brakes (with which rotor to use, offset, caliper, etc).

One thing you could do that would save you from swapping front ends or dealing with brakes and the axle problem is find a 21" inch 36 spoke from rim. Call Buchanan spokes and tell them the rim and hub you're using and they'll send the correct spokes (for about $100). Then lace the new rim to the old hub and you’re ready to ride.

ok thats what i needed to know i appreciate both of you guys input and will def be doing that cause i would be able to keep my front brakes. Thanks guys

Back