21mm bearing with 25mm axle issue

BronzeBobber

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
New here. I have a heritage special that has seen better days but amazingly the frame (excluding swing arm) and engine seem good.

So I have 2005 gsxr 600 inverted forks which have I believe 25mm axles (I don't have one so will need to purchase).

You know when you are building your perfect bike you want to explore your preference before it's a 100% no. Well, I really like the old fatboy 16x3 solid wheels (yes I know, it'll fit the design I promise ). The issue, they are for 3/4 axles. I just can't get my head around this first part (let alone breaks, discs spacers.).

Has anyone done an axle reduction mod of some sorts. Sear h brings up the other way, ie. Reduce bearing ID to fit smaller axle.

Could it be a machined axle to be 3/4 but 25mm at ends for forks or spacers (not sure name) on the ends of 3/4 axle to fit the gsxr forks.

Thanks for your time. I'm not going to bang my head too long before I go to standard spokes. But I don't want to regret not exploring.

Is that FatBoy wheel '99-earlier or '00-up? IIRC '00-up are sealed bearing, may be able to find bearing with correct ID/OD to fit. Just a thought.

Can you measure the OD of existing bearing? Even just a rough measurement. Quick search shows Harley sealed bearing should be 52mm OD x 21mm wide. #63205-2RS bearing list dimensions as 52mm OD x 25mm ID x 21mm width, might get lucky.

Harley baggers all run 1" axles so finding a 25mm ID bearing with proper OD could be very possible

Thanks Beags,
I'll go away and look further into it. Problem is everyone seller I've spoke to say the internals of the whds are still 3/4.

Hi 'Bobber and welcome,
first, make sure of your measurements. (1" vs 25mm; 3/4" vs 19mm; etc.)
Then seek out a "bro with lathe" and get aluminum bushings made to adapt between the forks and the wheel.

Hi 'Bobber and welcome,
first, make sure of your measurements. (1" vs 25mm; 3/4" vs 19mm; etc.)
Then seek out a "bro with lathe" and get aluminum bushings made to adapt between the forks and the wheel.

So after investigating it definitely has to be one of the 2:

Bore the wheel to allow for 25mm gsxr 600 k5 axle

Have bushings made for to allow the 3/4 harley axle (which will be too short), so have a 3/4 axle made with 25mm ends for the forks?

Problem is those USD forks have a hollow axle, and I'm worried a customer axle will break on me . Any suggestions for the former or latter, to get this done uk.. I'm south.

So to make it a little easier to see what I'm talking abiut it is these wheels.

Removed bearings, the axle hole shows 19mm still.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200428_124243_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20200428_124243_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 128
So, it's got the metal to bore by the looks.
The bearings would be 25x15x21.

I just need to figure out a sleeve with ID 25mm and what the OD would be and then bore to that OD or more.

Getting closer to a solution :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200428_162039_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200428_162039_com.android.chrome.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 143
That's no longer true as of about 10 years ago. All new HD's run 25mm wheel bearings

Good to know, the wife's '08 FatBob is the newest bike in the garage, although don't recall right off axle size on it.

Don't recall exactly which year they made the swap, could have been phased over several years.
They began around 2007 with some models.
I've got a 2004 Vrod, it has 1" axles, as do most models up through that time.
Around 2006-2007 HD started switching over to Brembo brakes.
Around that time they started switching to 25mm axles. All ABS bikes use metric axles.
HD was spending more money to have the bearings specially sized ID to fit the 1" axles, metrics OD, inch ID, it only made manufacturing sense to just use off the shelf metric bearings and size the axles accordingly.

Back