256 vs 447 motor differences

Aren't the gaskets different thicknesses? How do you handle gasket thickness when putting a 256 head on a 447 cylinder?
use the 477 gasket and copper coat several times and let it try before using. The only difference if it's a XS1, the combustion chamber is slightly smaller in cc volume,intake ports are different other than that,it'll bolt on. I did a XS1 head years ago and this person did the exact swap.

Last edited:
Like Jack says!

I don't recall a difference in thickness, Dawg, but it's been awhile since I had my hands on a 256 motor. If there is a difference, it's less that the difference between OE 447 spec. (.047") and the .060" Athena gasket that guys keep using. If it was my money, I'd use a Vesrah .047" gasket, a .040" composition gasket from Ottoco, or, depending on intentions and how things measure out, a custom thickness from Cometic or Copper Gaskets Unlimited.

Like Jack says!

I don't recall a difference in thickness, Dawg, but it's been awhile since I had my hands on a 256 motor. If there is a difference, it's less that the difference between OE 447 spec. (.047") and the .060" Athena gasket that guys keep using. If it was my money, I'd use a Vesrah .047" gasket, a .040" composition gasket from Ottoco, or, depending on intentions and how things measure out, a custom thickness from Cometic or Copper Gaskets Unlimited.
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks, that explains a lot. I have acquired a lot of gasket sets in boxes of parts over the years, and the head gaskets all seem to be about .060" plus or minus. Even the vintage Rocky parts gasket set above, which is labeled XS1, has a .060" head gasket.
And yeah, I'm asking for that same new member. He's restoring an XS1B, but has a bad leg, so is putting an electric start motor in it. He wants to retain the correct look as much as possible, so he bought an XS1B head and head cover from me to put on the electric start motor.

View attachment 157205
Thanks, that explains a lot. I have acquired a lot of gasket sets in boxes of parts over the years, and the head gaskets all seem to be about .060" plus or minus. Even the vintage Rocky parts gasket set above, which is labeled XS1, has a .060" head gasket.
And yeah, I'm asking for that same new member. He's restoring an XS1B, but has a bad leg, so is putting an electric start motor in it. He wants to retain the correct look as much as possible, so he bought an XS1B head and head cover from me to put on the electric start motor.
So I guess he couldn't trust me on my word even after I consulted another member for fact checking as to not mislead him in any way.

No, please don't blame him, blame me. I was double checking because it all didn't make sense to me. When it comes to how these things measure out I'm totally lost. I am under the impression that the 256 combustion chamber is smaller than the 447, so I don't know, I thought maybe using a thicker gasket to compensate made sense.
Anyways, not my problem, I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
No, please don't blame him, blame me. I was double checking because it all didn't make sense to me. When it comes to how these things measure out I'm totally lost. I am under the impression that the 256 combustion chamber is smaller than the 447, so I don't know, I thought maybe using a thicker gasket to compensate made sense.
Anyways, not my problem, I'll shut up now.

I'm good on my end. The 256 had a compression ratio of about 8.8 I think and yamaha cut a 45 angle to reduce the chamber by a few CCs to lower the compression on the 477 to 8.4-8.5. I personally would use the better quality Vesrah head gasket,coat it and be done with it as that little bump in
compression wouldn't hurt and cam timing would be in check.

I'm good on my end. The 256 had a compression ratio of about 8.8 I think and yamaha cut a 45 angle to reduce the chamber by a few CCs to lower the compression on the 477 to 8.4-8.5. I personally would use the better quality Vesrah head gasket,coat it and be done with it as that little bump in
compression wouldn't hurt and cam timing would be in check.
Thank you. I completely misunderstood the reason for coating the gasket. It all makes perfect sense now.

As always the Borg has the answer!
Jack I got asked, and steered him to you (and 2many) cuz I hadn't done it. I then threw the question up here to illustrate how asking a question in a thread often results in better (or more complete) answers. :thumbsup: :sneaky:

Last edited:
Off the top of their heads, can someone tell me the diameters for the wrist pins between the early and late engines

256 motors (1970-73): 22 mm. 447 motors (1974 and forward): 20 mm. First run of XS1s had needle bearing wristpins; didn't work too well....

Back