277° electronic ignition confusion!

Dannyh82

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm in the final stage of this build but the ignition instructions I have been given / told are confusing me still.

The instructions are in the first picture and below and the second pic shows my engine just as it fires on number 1 cylender.

Instruction:
1. Put engine at full advance on number 1 cylender.

2. Turn rotor until first red light comes on and slowly turn until it goes off (this is when the spark fires when the light goes off)

3. Tighten up rod and that's it.

As it is by the instructions, that would mean both cylenders fire at 40° BTDC during initial start and tick over.... way to early , as it should be 15° on tick over and then advance upto 38ish before 4000rpm unless.

He did say the green light represents when the board is auto advancing so my only conclusion is:

I set it at full advance because when it actually starts it will actually read around 15° with the delay, as I'm setting it now at full advance static, and then it auto advances to 38 like it should.

All new to me, but I like to understand it fully, so if any one knows how to explain this that would be great lol!

Or if you have set one up and actually know even better!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221023_212410_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221023_212410_Facebook.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • 20221119_173855.jpg
    20221119_173855.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 56
Here's the shot I meant to put on of the relevant part of instructions

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221120_143900_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221120_143900_Facebook.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 66
First , what ignition do you have? and yes 40 degrees is a bit too much advance your motor will be happier at 35 degrees, but that's up to you.

You are thinking on the right track.
Probe and Electrex World electronic ignitions are set at the full advance mark. The electronics detect the full advance point has been reached and retard the spark according to the rpm until no retard is required.

I like to make a wire pointer out of welding wire, it makes it easier to set TDC (you don't have to adjust the wheel to get that last little adjustment) I also bash the end flat to make it thinner and more accurate (like a real pointer) and paint the end to contrast my wheel marking to make it easier to read.

First , what ignition do you have? and yes 40 degrees is a bit too much advance your motor will be happier at 35 degrees, but that's up to you.

Probe and Electrex World electronic ignitions are set at the full advance mark. The electronics detect the full advance point has been reached and retard the spark according to the rpm until no retard is required.

I like to make a wire pointer out of welding wire, it makes it easier to set TDC (you don't have to adjust the wheel to get that last little adjustment) I also bash the end flat to make it thinner and more accurate (like a real pointer) and paint the end to contrast my wheel marking to make it easier to read.
Ah that's good info and maybe this is the same and that's why the green advance light is on during setup. My bolt has a very thin line cut into it you can't see it on the photo that is my pointer.

Ignition is a (Pipes And Stuff ignition)

Just to add, the second cylinder fires at 273° after the first, so unless somebody knows more than me I would say the pick up magnets are out or sensors....

Back