4x4fab's XS 650 (re) build

4x4FAB

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I took this bike on trade last year. A lot of things on the bike aren't done right. The forward controls are two peices of tubing welded to the frame. The rear brake linkage is wire rope. The bushing in the handlebar risers will almost pull through. The jockey shifter had to be bent over someone's knee. The good, the motor is fresh, and runs like a scalded dog. The frame hard tail was done right, and it's straight.
In our shop, we have the tools and ability to build a bike from the ground up.... But this thread more or less the RE-build of this XS. It's also my oppertunity to "make it mine".
I started this a couple weeks ago. Here are a few pics to bring you all up to speed.

One of my helpers. We got the fender done and mounted. This was a late night.

Next day we put our feebay honda 23" wheel on. Got the wheel bearings and still need to make spacers. Ordered a tire today. The tire in the pic was just laying around. It way too wide. (That's my other boy, giving the thumbs down cuz he don't like it)

Hmmmmm ditch these store bought apes and go with low bars?

Yep, low bars. Hard to be creative considering we've been building bikes for over a hindered years.... But here's my take on some bars.
Was considering a riserless design come straight up through the tripple. But that just wouldn't work with a really low bar. So I went this route.

Onto the tank..... I've been wanting to do some engine turning for a long time. Because of the curves of the tank it was nearly impossible to do on a mill or even drill press. So I got busy marking lines to do it all with a hand drill

Spent an evening drawing up some forward controls. Sent the dxf off to the waterjet guy today.

Started on an "oil" tank. But I'm not so sure ill go this route. Really want to do something different... Just can't figure it out.

And that's pretty much where it sits right now.

Last edited:
Got some motor parts prepped for powder coat.....
I think we decided to shorten the hardtail 3 or 4 inches. It will solve everything I don't like about the bike. Plus I want the seat about an inch lower, And I've got an idea in mind for the seat hinge

Posted via Mobile

Back