5 years ago I bought my first xs650

JSellito

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I will start out by saying Hello to you all. I am not much of a poster, more of a lurker. 5 years ago this week I brought home a 1981 xs650 special with the intent of building a street tracker. This was my first bike build. I read a lot of posts on here and other xs650 sites. I read about PMA's, rephases, and all sorts of other tech info. I went to looked at this bike in about 23* weather. i gave it a quick spin around the block and made a deal on it. It had a little engine noise. What i thought to be the cam chain guild from reading up on common issues with the xs's. more on that later. A friend of mine was just starting a street tracker build of and sr500 at the same time. I get the bike home and change the handle bars out with a set my buddy had. The next day the weather was warmer and i thought lets take this thing for a spin. about 3 blocks in the clutch cable breaks. i was able to make a few more blocks to my buddy's house with out stopping. we load it up and take it back to my garage, and thats when it started. I had ridden the xs all of about 2 miles. i started taking a few things off of it. The reflectors some tabs from the frame ect.... all with the intent of putting a cable on it and giving it a good shake down. well that didn't happen. i kept removing more and more parts and soon is was to deep into it to ride it. we hit up a local salvage yard and i happened on a gas tank in excellent condition with a cool paint scheme. i had no idea what is was from at the time. i just liked the shape of it and it seemed to fit the frame ok with a little help. after some research i figured out it was from a 1975 RD250. in my research if had convinced my self i needed and RD. i wasn't even half way through my xs build. i ordered up a knight tail section. cut the rear loop off made my own to fit the new tail. i also knew that i wasn't going to use the 16" rear wheel. i found and XS400 18" rear with disc. i made some new spacers to center everything up had to order a custom built sprocket. i spent hours searching the web for a rear brake caliper that would work and had the look i wanted. i found a brembo that if ran upside down it would fit perfectly. i also found a brembo set up for the front from a ducati multistrada and paired it with a 320mm rotor. i made my own rotor spacer and caliper bracket for the forks. i shaved the unused bosses from the other leg and polished them to a shine. i removed all the unwanted tabs from the frame. i wanted simple so with help from this forum i pieced a pma together and deleted the starter. i gutted the wiring harness of anything extra. a friend of mine worked at a exhaust shop so i talked him into helping me with the exhaust. i bought 4 1.5" stainless 90* mandrel bends, and 2 concentric stainless sanitation drain pipe reducer cones. yes i said "sanitation drain pipe" lol whatever gets the job done. i load it up and take it to his shop and we make a couple flairs for the cones and he tig welded everything together for me. i pulled the trail tech from my dirt bike that hadn't worked in years because of a broken wire. i made a bracket and mounted it to the upper triple. i found some led lights to use for a headlight and a taillight. another buddy had a set of 1 1/8 fat bars that had a bark buster mount broke off in and were unusable for him. after finding the tank i had decided that i wanted a blue frame with the white and red rd250 paint scheme. as i got closer to painting the frame i decided i couldn't leave the 40 year old paint on the tank. it was in good shape but had flaws so i found reproduction graphics. i took the parts to work and picked out a blue color that was close to what i was looking for. after leaving out 3 and a half of the color toners out i had the color i had pictured in my head. i painted everything up installed the graphics on the tank and re cleared it. it was the end of june 2014 by now and i found a post about the "Dodge City 300" 100 year centennial motorcycle rally. my wife and i grew up in dodge city and were heading back that week anyway to visit family so what better deadline to get the bike done. i had custom brake lines made up finished wiring and installed a points set. i knew in the future there would most likely be a rephase so points were cheap for now. i made an aluminum pan and shaped some foam for the seat. the bike was running and stopping. it started easy with one kick. i had saved a leather seat back cover from a volvo car that had blown an airbag out of it. so the day before we were heading to Dodge City i tried upholstering the seat cover an my wife sewing machine. i had made a pattern off the foam i had shaped. her sewing machine pretty much refused to sew the leather. we headed for Dodge the bike still didn't have a seat on it. when we got to town i used my mother in laws machine to finish up the seat cover. her machine work, not well but enough to sew the cover together. i rode the bike around dodge for a day then entered it into the vintage bike show they had going at the dodge city 300 rally. it got lots of attention and complements.

I will do a photo dump then continue the story of the bike.

JSellito

XS650 Member
Reaction score
1DD969E9-EDB2-40CB-AA44-0597C5444B8F.jpeg
47D45466-48A0-4490-BD7D-39EE060EB3DE.jpeg
D0533B31-E70D-438D-802E-366574D5660D.jpeg
8E826DE8-7328-4620-8042-3FCBD1EB63F5.jpeg
0DDF57A6-60DA-4D43-9C5C-DE2F8F1498F3.jpeg
8202B40F-585A-4D50-878D-F68DF7D9EDEE.jpeg
08459732-23F2-4158-A093-3EACE53632F4.jpeg
9153AB97-D6D3-43A9-8314-A0C34F119E00.jpeg

Attachments

• 93062B8D-69C4-4197-B317-ADDD6D0F3316.jpeg
    93062B8D-69C4-4197-B317-ADDD6D0F3316.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 188

JSellito

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I rode the bike for the rest of the summer. the motor had a noise in it. i thought it was the cam chain guide so when the weather got cold i pulled the motor and ordered up parts. i pulled the head and was ready to change the guide out, but it was intact. so i scratched my head and wondered what the noise i was hearing was. i turned the crank to pull the pistons down in the cylinders and there it was. 4 perfectly spaced scares in the right cylinder. it had had a four corner seizure. i couldn't leave it like that so i tore it the rest of the way down. ordered a eBay 706 big bore kit and had the cylinders bored. also spit the crank and replaced a bad rod. i rephased the crank. there was definitely a learning curve on truing it up. after 3 evenings of messing with it it finally clicked in my head on what needed to be done had how to do it. i sent the cam to gggGary for him to rephase. i also did a 7 disc clutch kit at the same time. when i got the motor all back together i ordered up a pamco ignition for it. i also bought a set of ex500 cvk carbs and rejected and changed the needles. the bike ran great. i then decided the the tail was to plain so i sanded it down and played out some stripes to tie into the tank and painted them on. i have just enjoyed riding this bike for years now. the most recent thing i have changed is i found a set of restored vintage fox shox a couple weeks ago that i am convinced were meant for my bike. i don't know if you could have pick a close powder coat color match if you were trying.

D B

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I will start out by saying Hello to you all. I am not much of a poster, more of a lurker. 5 years ago this week I brought home a 1981 xs650 special with the intent of building a street tracker. This was my first bike build. I read a lot of posts on here and other xs650 sites. I read about PMA's, rephases, and all sorts of other tech info. I went to looked at this bike in about 23* weather. i gave it a quick spin around the block and made a deal on it. It had a little engine noise. What i thought to be the cam chain guild from reading up on common issues with the xs's. more on that later. A friend of mine was just starting a street tracker build of and sr500 at the same time. I get the bike home and change the handle bars out with a set my buddy had. The next day the weather was warmer and i thought lets take this thing for a spin. about 3 blocks in the clutch cable breaks. i was able to make a few more blocks to my buddy's house with out stopping. we load it up and take it back to my garage, and thats when it started. I had ridden the xs all of about 2 miles. i started taking a few things off of it. The reflectors some tabs from the frame ect.... all with the intent of putting a cable on it and giving it a good shake down. well that didn't happen. i kept removing more and more parts and soon is was to deep into it to ride it. we hit up a local salvage yard and i happened on a gas tank in excellent condition with a cool paint scheme. i had no idea what is was from at the time. i just liked the shape of it and it seemed to fit the frame ok with a little help. after some research i figured out it was from a 1975 RD250. in my research if had convinced my self i needed and RD. i wasn't even half way through my xs build. i ordered up a knight tail section. cut the rear loop off made my own to fit the new tail. i also knew that i wasn't going to use the 16" rear wheel. i found and XS400 18" rear with disc. i made some new spacers to center everything up had to order a custom built sprocket. i spent hours searching the web for a rear brake caliper that would work and had the look i wanted. i found a brembo that if ran upside down it would fit perfectly. i also found a brembo set up for the front from a ducati multistrada and paired it with a 320mm rotor. i made my own rotor spacer and caliper bracket for the forks. i shaved the unused bosses from the other leg and polished them to a shine. i removed all the unwanted tabs from the frame. i wanted simple so with help from this forum i pieced a pma together and deleted the starter. i gutted the wiring harness of anything extra. a friend of mine worked at a exhaust shop so i talked him into helping me with the exhaust. i bought 4 1.5" stainless 90* mandrel bends, and 2 concentric stainless sanitation drain pipe reducer cones. yes i said "sanitation drain pipe" lol whatever gets the job done. i load it up and take it to his shop and we make a couple flairs for the cones and he tig welded everything together for me. i pulled the trail tech from my dirt bike that hadn't worked in years because of a broken wire. i made a bracket and mounted it to the upper triple. i found some led lights to use for a headlight and a taillight. another buddy had a set of 1 1/8 fat bars that had a bark buster mount broke off in and were unusable for him. after finding the tank i had decided that i wanted a blue frame with the white and red rd250 paint scheme. as i got closer to painting the frame i decided i couldn't leave the 40 year old paint on the tank. it was in good shape but had flaws so i found reproduction graphics. i took the parts to work and picked out a blue color that was close to what i was looking for. after leaving out 3 and a half of the color toners out i had the color i had pictured in my head. i painted everything up installed the graphics on the tank and re cleared it. it was the end of june 2014 by now and i found a post about the "Dodge City 300" 100 year centennial motorcycle rally. my wife and i grew up in dodge city and were heading back that week anyway to visit family so what better deadline to get the bike done. i had custom brake lines made up finished wiring and installed a points set. i knew in the future there would most likely be a rephase so points were cheap for now. i made an aluminum pan and shaped some foam for the seat. the bike was running and stopping. it started easy with one kick. i had saved a leather seat back cover from a volvo car that had blown an airbag out of it. so the day before we were heading to Dodge City i tried upholstering the seat cover an my wife sewing machine. i had made a pattern off the foam i had shaped. her sewing machine pretty much refused to sew the leather. we headed for Dodge the bike still didn't have a seat on it. when we got to town i used my mother in laws machine to finish up the seat cover. her machine work, not well but enough to sew the cover together. i rode the bike around dodge for a day then entered it into the vintage bike show they had going at the dodge city 300 rally. it got lots of attention and complements.

I will do a photo dump then continue the story of the bike.
I bought an 1978 XS650 4 years ago in beautiful condition with it's history from about 1984 up until I got it from an estate sale. They also gave me another motor minus carbs and wiring for the bike. I would like to know how to identify that the motor is for a XS 650.

gggGary

Simplest truths meet the sternest resistance F D
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an 1978 XS650 4 years ago in beautiful condition with it's history from about 1984 up until I got it from an estate sale. They also gave me another motor minus carbs and wiring for the bike. I would like to know how to identify that the motor is for a XS 650.
????
only an XS650 motor looks like an XS650 motor

gggGary

Simplest truths meet the sternest resistance F D
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Serial number, front below tach drive, will ID what year it was from.

rsor

Wanna do this again!
Reaction score
DB, why don't you look up the serial number off the motor and check it on a serial number/model chart?