50 Years of the Yamaha XS650 - Paris Ontario - June 2020

Howdy Sportsfans!

On a business trip to Hogtown (i.e. Toronto) this week, I took a small detour to have a look at the Paris, Ontario Fairgrounds - it was a cold and crappy day see attached photo...but it won't be in June!

Paris_Fairgrounds - Jan-27-2020.jpg

June is coming - will you be ready?

CVMG 2020 Rally - be there, or be square!

...and I was asked to write a little note on the XS650 for the CVMG Newsletter so I am attching it here. Apologies for any errors you may find!

EDIT: the edited file is attached with the correct dates for the introduction of the Special model.

Pete

Attachments

• NOTES Yamaha XS650_PRFrise - Jan-27-2019.pdf
    609.9 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Hi Pete,
I read your piece in the CVMG newsletter. So our ride is a Horex Imperator knockoff?
OTOH, I bought mine because I reckoned that it looked like a G9 Matchless.
And as to the weather in Paris ON being better in summer, last time I was there it rained so hard it might have been Calcutta.

Oh, I don't know about that, Fred. I attended the Elmira Vintage Guitar Show (Woolrich Memorial Centre) last April (gonna be there again 4/26/2020!), staying with family in London (Ontario, of course, eh?), and we were grillin' in the back yard, no overcoats required...
Then, again, London is farther south (latitude-wise) than I am, but whadyagonnado? The weather is the weather... :shrug:

Ahhh...- thanks!

I knew that somebody would catch any errors - and you are the first.

Pete

MaxPete - Can you check if there is any rooms near.
Stratford is usually full up due to it's shakespeare festival and this drives up prices
for miles around to absurd levels.

MaxPete - Can you check if there is any rooms near.
Stratford is usually full up due to it's shakespeare festival and this drives up prices
for miles around to absurd levels.

Your best bet is to just go on the web - and Paris is pretty far away from Stratford. I suspect you might be better off checking in Brantford or even Hamilton.

I am going to camp as it is included in the price of admission.

I think Pete's write up is a good description of the bikes history. Would be good to put it on the home page for those new to the XS650.

BTW disk rear 78 and later special.

Jack

Your best bet is to just go on the web - and Paris is pretty far away from Stratford. I suspect you might be better off checking in Brantford or even Hamilton.

I am going to camp as it is included in the price of admission.
Check the Davison Motel in Paris if they still have rooms. That where I am staying.

If it weren't an ocean and half a continent away, I'd be there.

By far the worst experience I had was 20 some years ago. I was on vacation riding my BMW RT. I had ridden up the west side of Lake Michigan and then across the UP. Decided to cross into Canada at St.Saint Marie and ride down the east side of Lake Huron. Pulled into the immigration checkpoint. Guy at the window asked what I was doing and where was I going. Told him I was on vacation and going to ride around Lake Huron. Things went down hill fast. He said go to stall 5 and wait for the officers. 5 guys were waiting for me. Officer in charge had me remove my bags and open up the fairing compartments. While he interrogated me the other 4 proceeded to dump everything in my bags on the ground and remove everything from the fairing and dump that stuff on the ground. The officer questioning me kept asking me where I kept my guns and knifes. As he was searching my billfold I pointed out to him I had a Gold and a Platinum credit card. I didn't need to sleep in places where I needed a gun. A minuet later he handed me back my billfold, said something to his guys in French and they all walked away. There I was with almost all my stuff scattered on the ground. They forgot to have me open my seat. No guns or knifes under there, but there were tools.
I never crossed into Canada on my bike there again. When I would ride around Superior I would go through Minnesota to get in.

Give an asshole a uniform, and all you have is a uniformed asshole.

Last edited:
Finally got round to reading the PDF..............the Standard models in Europe and Japan were in production till 81-82 and, as the Canadian models were sold, later but were left overs like the 74 Canadian heritage Special

Great write up Maxpete! always refreshing to read to read someones experience/ passion for the automotive hobby! Keep up the good work, I hope to be at the show to see the community as a whole.

- Cheers

I’d love to go to this. 8 hours isn’t too bad of a ride, especially in the car. Haven’t been to Canada since I was 14, turning 30 this June so it’s a bit overdue. Although, one of those dates is the fiancés birthday, so we will see how this plays out haha

Back