Frame Dimensions, Drawings

Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Found these on my computer. Thought they might be helpful to someone. I'm assuming the dimensions are in centimeters. I don't know how accurate the drawings are.

The images are 1000x750 pixels. Depending on your monitor's resolution, the images may not load full size. If they don't, you can make the images bigger by clicking on them one or two more times after they load.

The images are labeled as follows:

............. XS-2 ..................... Standard .................... Special ..........

Attachments

• framexs-2.jpg
    framexs-2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 8,283
  • framestandard.jpg
    framestandard.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 14,955
  • framespecial.jpg
    framespecial.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 13,697
For my unmetricated friends, engineers & pretty much most tradesmen, never use centimetres, everything is milimetres.
Damn it's hard telling my kids not to use centimetres........Bloody school thinks centimetres are the go, but they are good only if they're cubed as far as I'm concerned!

- i grew up with pounds shillings and pence, tons cwt stones lbs oz, miles furlongs yards feet inches, °F etc...bases 12, 14, 16 are simply a pain in the ass

- cabinetmaking is a passionate hobby of mine-working in 10ths of a millimeter is considered normal...glad im not into modelmaking where 100ths are the norm

I understand the reasoning behind 12 and 16 bases systems (12 is divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12 and with base 16 you keep dividing one unit in half over and over so it’s divisible by 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16) but I still think the U.S. needs to get with it and switch to the metric system since it makes so much more sense. Why have a number system base 10, then have 3 feet in a yard, 12 inches in a foot, then divide each inch into 16 (or 32 or 64)? One thing I don’t understand how the construction industry works in the metric system. How big is a standard sheet of plywood using the metric system? What size are wall studs and how far apart are they on-center? Having old homes be the old way and new homes as a new system would suck.

I think the whole world should switch to a 12 based number system. We'll make up a couple of extra numbers or symbols and have them be between 9 and 10 so you can still keep the simplicity of adding zeros to go from 10 to 100 to 1000 etc, and 10 will really mean 12. Just looked it up..... I guess it's called the dozenal system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duodecimal

http://flud.org/blog/2008/01/12/dozenal-ftw/

- sheet 1200 x 2400...studs 600 centres at 100 x 50...base 10 is simply simple and to the human race naturally and symetrically logical...10 fingers, 10 toes

- and before you come back to me saying 600, 1200, 2400 are base 12..theyre also a carry over from imperial measurements...500, 1000, 2500 are even more logical

Yeah I was just looking it up and realized it came from the imperial measurements.

"10 fingers, 10 toes" As you were typing that I edited my first post to add an extra link and a video that talks about that too.

For my unmetricated friends, engineers & pretty much most tradesmen, never use centimetres, everything is milimetres.
Damn it's hard telling my kids not to use centimetres........Bloody school thinks centimetres are the go, but they are good only if they're cubed as far as I'm concerned!

I didn't know that (but I'm not very metricated). I remember centimeters being used more in school than millimeters. Probably because it's easier for kids to play with those 1x1, 1X10, and 10x10 centimeter blocks and learn how it relates to millimeters, cc's, and grams (water).

- what fucks it up for me is music...it has 7 pitch classes cdefgab and 5 accidentals c#d#f#g#a# to give the chromatic scale of 12

- however i play by ear, the theory is pretty well meaningless to me

Wow, this is awesome!

I'm and autobody tech by trade so I've picked up a tendency to be pretty OCD with things being square and all that lot, and I was all ready to sit down with a gauge and measure all the points out, but 2 seconds on google and I'm led right back here!!

I'm going to be rearranging the bike somewhat and wanted to have a base line, so this is perfect!

Fantastic!

okay, now for an awkward question...
I have a 79 XS, it's burgundy and says SPecial on the side covers, but how do I know for sure what model I have? And where could i find the serial? The neck only has the VIN and that doesn't match any list I can find...

- normally the VIN has the serial # incorporated into it...when in doubt take a look at the front of the engine, the # is stamped into the casing where the front engine mount is
- might find your engine # here

In 79 they had 3 models. The standard, a special and a special II.
The standard had spoke wheels, drum brakes on the rear, side hinge seat.
The Special had mags with disc brake rear, seat tipped up from the rear and lifted off.
The Special II was a combonation of parts from the standard and special.
They did this for a couple years. This phenomenum confuses lots of people.
Kinda like they had extra parts left over after making the standards and Specials, put the parts together and called it a Special II

Thanks, I'll check for the number on the engine, I can't find one on the neck, I'm in Canada if that changes things.

Back