650 special bars

Iamxsive

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have an '81 650 special that has had the bars changed to a flatter style. Does anyone know where you can source original style "chopper" bars. I have found several but I am unsure which one would be most similar to the original. Hope you can help.

Hey guys I have an '81 650 special that has had the bars changed to a flatter style. Does anyone know where you can source original style "chopper" bars. I have found several but I am unsure which one would be most similar to the original. Hope you can help.
I had those original bars on my ‘79 Special. Wanted to swap them out for a lower rise, lower pull back bar. Ended up selling the bike before this happened. I’d consider a set of Euro bars. A nice compromise between the factory buckhorn bars and a flat dragster style.

First, if that’s what you want, get them. I’ve been riding with Yamaha Special pullback bars for 40 years. I like them. First, with all the Special haters on here, somebody has a pristine bar they should send you for cost of shipping. Surely, not everyone put them in the rubbish. If you can't score a freebee, Emgo has a Yamaha Special handlebar.
https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/chr...U9gRhuDXkjYI6JM4aWiFAkHfHFLtr7eYaAhmvEALw_wcB
The bends are more abrupt than the original bar and the knurl spacing is too narrow. Flanders used to make them, but it seems their website is off line.
If no one here steps up then used ones from eBay is your best bet. XS650, XS750, XS850, and XS1100 Specials all got the same bar. Plenty on eBay claim to be Special bars and the aren't. Also, they're susceptible to getting bent. Shop carefully. MikesXS has them too, but I suspect it's Emgo, and that may be fine for you.

1674339988703.png

I depends on your body Size and so But I am very pleased with the Stock US Custom Bars
Relaxed kind of upright stance

The ends are not pointing as much Downwards as Mr JetM s Buckhorns and bar perhaps is a little higher
There was a what they call " Brando Bar " as in the movie. on it when I bought the Bike I Like Stock better.

1674345953254.png

1674345643593.png

First, if that’s what you want, get them. I’ve been riding with Yamaha Special pullback bars for 40 years. I like them. First, with all the Special haters on here, somebody has a pristine bar they should send you for cost of shipping. Surely, not everyone put them in the rubbish. If you can't score a freebee, Emgo has a Yamaha Special handlebar.
https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/chr...U9gRhuDXkjYI6JM4aWiFAkHfHFLtr7eYaAhmvEALw_wcB
The bends are more abrupt than the original bar and the knurl spacing is too narrow. Flanders used to make them, but it seems their website is off line.
If no one here steps up then used ones from eBay is your best bet. XS650, XS750, XS850, and XS1100 Specials all got the same bar. Plenty on eBay claim to be Special bars and the aren't. Also, they're susceptible to getting bent. Shop carefully. MikesXS has them too, but I suspect it's Emgo, and that may be fine for you.

View attachment 234147
:agree:
What he said. I swapped my buckhorns out this last season just to switch things up, but the buckhorns are on the wall and will eventually go back on. Ignore the peanut gallery and run whatever bars you want. :rolleyes:

My boy Mahomes is tough as nails.
The chiefs.png

Not real far off topic but these bars are on my 75 and I really like them
I believe they are stock but have know way of knowing
There not buckhorns but...
Any opinions on what they might be

Attachments

• 20230120_112721.jpg
    20230120_112721.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230120_112732.jpg
    20230120_112732.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230120_112751.jpg
    20230120_112751.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230120_112759.jpg
    20230120_112759.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230120_112812.jpg
    20230120_112812.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 43
:agree:
What he said. I swapped my buckhorns out this last season just to switch things up, but the buckhorns are on the wall and will eventually go back on. Ignore the peanut gallery and run whatever bars you want. :rolleyes:

My boy Mahomes is tough as nails. View attachment 234152
What Jim and Marty said.

Post pictures of what you found.

The ends are not pointing as much Downwards as Mr JetM s Buckhorns and bar perhaps is a little higher
There was a what they call " Brando Bar " as in the movie. on it when I bought the Bike I Like Stock better.

1674345643593.png

I put my bars down to where they almost touch the tank at the stops. As a matter of fact, the rise makes a straight line with the forks, if that makes sense. That's where I'm most comfortable. Grips anywhere approaching horizontal is not comfortable. YMMV.

I took bars to my shipper and he figured the best shipping cost was ~$45. Even freebies from friends on this sight still cost. A MN member showed interest in a bars I had. I sent them with my son in Sept when he returned to MN. He will meet up with the other MN, @Mikey some time this year and deliver them free. I just ordered new BikeMaster Euros for ~$41 shipped.

I need to look into to something for the 80 I'm trying to get going as the drag pipes look like hell
That may work for that bike and the price is right

I need to look into to something for the 80 I'm trying to get going as the drag pipes look like hell
That may work for that bike and the price is right
@Mikey I haven't forgotten about getting the handlebars the old man sent with me to give to you , If you still have my number shoot me a txt, or send your number to Kevin to give to me. I lost my phone and all my contacts the other week ice fishing. I kind of just lurk around here so i cannot message yet

Last edited:
@Mikey I haven't forgotten about getting the handlebars the old man sent with me to give to you , If you still have my number shoot me a txt, or send your number to Kevin to give to me. I lost my phone and all my contacts the other week ice fishing. I kind of just lurk around here so i cannot message yet
Hell, Mikey would probably buy ya a beer for that (when yer old enough):laugh2::jk:

Just sent you a text on my phone
I'm glad you've decided to climb onboard this leaky ship

Back