'68 BSA Victor Build..... Bloody 'el mate... You 'effin daft or sommat?!?

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
But but but.... but... it spoke to me... :cautious:
'Sides... I ain't got enough projects.... yet. :rolleyes:
It's a '68 BSA Victor Special (B44) Scrambler.
Came up on Craigslist a little over a week ago. I even put it up here. Figured it'd be gone within a day. Last night it was still listed. Memories of the early 70's... tearin' up the midlands on a Victor... had been gettin' stronger all week... it called to me. Spoke to the guy over the phone... back and forth several times. We struck a deal.
Gassed up the truck this morning and off we go to visit Dorothy and Toto.

Sittin' in Butch's garage. He's 74. Picked it up out of a barn a few yrs ago with the intention of restoring it. A stroke about a year ago ended those dreams.

Butch's garage.jpg

Loaded in the Blue Bomber....

In the truck.jpg

... and unloaded by the driveway wood pile.

Oil tank.jpg

Right side.jpg

Back.jpg

73 inspection.jpg

Left side.jpg

Only 3,173 miles on the clock.

3173 miles.jpg

Original title matches the engine and frame numbers.

Title.png

So... where to begin.... :umm:

Last edited:
Do what I did (absolute minimum), and then start entering it in the Rat Bike category in shows. A skateboard seat and it'll win, keep the existing seat for when you're actually riding.
Quick update -- you can't believe how many comments, overwhelmingly complimentary, that the Super RustBucket gets...

Congratultions!
This one will be fun to watch,I love British bikes! You said you commuted on. 441 for a couple years didn’t you? So you know what you’re getting into to. They’re not that hard to start if they’re in good tune.
What are your first impressions, is the motor free?

Jim if you need some help with that fuel tank I know a guy!:laugh:
:laugh2:
Jim---I have mentioned before that I had a early 70's 441 Victor. If it didn't try to kill me starting It tried while riding....... Good luck....

tim
Thanks Tim.
Congratultions!
This one will be fun to watch,I love British bikes! You said you commuted on. 441 for a couple years didn’t you? So you know what you’re getting into to. They’re not that hard to start if they’re in good tune.
What are your first impressions, is the motor free?
Thanks Bob. Yeah, the one I had could be cantankerous, but I don't remember it ever leaving me on the side of the road. To me that's the main mark of a good bike... it may be on a kick and a prayer... but it always manages to get you home..
There's oil (filthy) in the oil tank... dry sump and the motors free. Feels like pretty good compression too. Right now I'm debating on pulling the motor apart anyway. Last registered (inspected) in 73... I'm thinkin' it might be best to have a good look inside.
And yeah... once you have the drill down, starting's pretty easy as long as you do it with a purpose. Not a time for daydreaming while kicking. :sneaky:
It loooks like a fun little bike to me. I am coming along for the show!
'TT'
Hope it's entertaining for ya.
Says it made him feel like he was 16 again.

That's what I'm talkin' about.... 'cept for me it'll be more like 21. :laugh2:

I totally understand about how ads "Talk to you". An ad on FB Marketplace haunted me for a couple weeks. The final blow was a substantial price drop and it was titled, 90% complete and close. An '82 KZ 750L
Your bike is way cooler though. Happy wrenching and then riding.

Back