'68 BSA Victor Build..... Bloody 'el mate... You 'effin daft or sommat?!?

A british bike with electrical problems...
THAT can't be right???
smoke.jpg

Best of luck with the new doc Jim. I can attest how painful that neuroma is. I’ve been very fortunate and mine has gone into remission and the last year mine have been much better. I just need to be mindful of any ladders or excessive stairs or impacts. Hope all goes well for ya Jim.

Last edited:
I've dealt with plantar fasciitis, which I suspect is a complete nothing-burger compared to your issues, Jim. You have my sympathy and best wishes for successful surgery!

Odd, isn't it, how folks that spent the bulk of their working careers on concrete floors/runways/aprons often have problems with their feet later in life...

I've dealt with plantar fasciitis, which I suspect is a complete nothing-burger compared to your issues, Jim. You have my sympathy and best wishes for successful surgery!

Odd, isn't it, how folks that spent the bulk of their working careers on concrete floors/runways/aprons often have problems with their feet later in life...
I have occasional plantar fasciitis. Trully, if the house was burning down around me when I climb out of bed, I could not run out of the house the pain is so great. That said, when I pay attention to footwear it greatly improves.

So I already hijacked my own thread. Might as well press on....

Saw the Doc up in Omaha today. Went very well. Medical technology marches forward... turns out there's an even newer procedure now that doesn't involve a donor (cadaver) nerve. It's basically the same procedure, but they cut out a piece of muscle from your leg and sew that around the freshly (re)cut Morton's nerve in your foot. The nerve then grows into the muscle tissue and is perfectly content there. It's new enough that they don't have any hard data yet, but looks to be as successful as the donor nerve procedure. The up side to this is that there's no concern about the real possibility of "tissue rejection" since it's your own body part and not someone else's. Another advantage is that if this does fail, we can always go the donor nerve route. So that gets me an extra try at it.
Now it's just a matter of pre-op blood work, physical and scheduling.

Recovery will be a little drawn out. I have to go 30 days without any weight on that foot.... none. And then up to 6 months to find out if it takes or not.
Like me, the Doc is career Air Force. Did almost exactly the same 22yrs I did and we walked some of the same ramps around the world. It was worth the drive to Omaha just to sit and talk with him for an hour.

I'm hopeful guys. :D

Last edited:

Saw the Doc up in Omaha today. Went very well. Medical technology marches forward... turns out there's an even newer procedure now that doesn't involve a donor (cadaver) nerve. It's basically the same procedure, but they cut out a piece of muscle from your leg and sew that around the freshly (re)cut Morton's nerve in your foot. The nerve then grows into the muscle tissue and is perfectly content there. It's new enough that they don't have any hard data yet, but looks to be as successful as the donor nerve procedure. The up side to this is that there's no concern about the real possibility of "tissue rejection" since it's your own body part and not someone else's. Another advantage is that if this does fail, we can always go the donor nerve route. So that gets me an extra try at it.

Recovery will be a little drawn out. I have to go 30 days without any weight on that foot.... none. And then up to 6 months to find out if it takes or not.
Like me, the Doc is career Air Force. Did almost exactly the same 22yrs I did and we walked some of the same ramps around the world. It was worth the drive to Omaha just to sit and talk with him for an hour.

Good luck my friend.

Sounds like a great option for you @Jim. Hope it all goes well.

So I bought the Victor up from the basement this morning. After the garage remodel I have plenty of room to work on it, so....

Reinstalled the steering head races in the frame and the stem lower race. Cleaned up the balls and counted 39 of 'em. 'Sposed to be 40.... 20 top and 20 bottom. :cautious:
I vaguely recalled that my local Ace carries individual balls. Quick check of the IPC says they're 1/4" balls. Off to Ace and they do indeed carry 'em. 50 cents a piece... I grab 5 bucks worth cuz... you know....
Cleaned everything up and greased. Subbed in the 10 balls for the one missing and 9 of the least shiny ones and installed the steering stem. Didn't install the top triple 'cause the steering head cap nut is crap. Not rightly sure how you round the edges off a nut that's only used to set bearing tension... :umm:
Anyway, Feked don't carry 'em. found a NOS one on Ebay for $30 to my door. Supposed to be here late next week.

Ain't much in the way of progress.... but it is progress. Onward and upward, as they say.

1677984196090.png

1677984243394.png

1677984265907.png

1677984284324.png

1677984438475.png

Just catching up on this thread. Garage looks great and nice to see some progress on the bike. But most important of all, wishing you all the best Jim and hope your Omaha doc can get you fixed up quickly. I’ve been fortunate with my feet so far. Have had occasional bouts of gout and used to have a mild case of plantar fasciitis but that hasn’t flared up for several years now. Gout comes to visit me maybe once a year.

Hope to hear some good news soon. I’ll be rooting for you up here! All the best Jim!

Back