'68 BSA Victor Build..... Bloody 'el mate... You 'effin daft or sommat?!?

As long as the slide, and slide bore are OK you should do fine.
Lack of rubber mounting and vibration caused rapid wear on the slide allowing air around the slide, the second thing is often guys would over tighten the mounting flange which would distort the carb body and cause the slide to stick.
As carbs go Amals are about as basic and simple as you can get

Used to have a guy up in the North West that would re-bore for the stainless Euro slide he would install. Was a long time ago and I can't remember what the slide was from.....

tim

I have a 'few' Amal main jets and slides? (I think they're Amal) from my Pursang days...clogging up my jet drawer, if you might want. :unsure:

amal jets.jpg

I have a 'few' Amal main jets and slides? (I think they're Amal) from my Pursang days...clogging up my jet drawer, if you might want. :unsure:

View attachment 231146
Thanks Tom! I'll let you know. The carb is soaking right now, but the slide felt pretty good. It should, there's only 3k miles on the clock. Even an Amal won't wear out that quick. ;)
The main on the other hand was covered in crud. I suspect it'll need changing.

I think I forgot to mention...
Tom has made it easier for me to work on this bike. He's let me use his set of Whitworth wrenches.
Using the right tools definitely makes life easier. :smoke:

Tom has made it easier for me to work on this bike. He's let me use his set of Whitworth wrenches.
That should help! I fink you might get away with the Whitworths and some AF spanners. Or is that wrenches in the US of A? The multiple thread sizes used on British bikes back in the day don't seem to lead to a commensurate scaling up of sets of spanners needed.

And anyhow, there's always shifting spanners (adjustable wrenches?) or pliers or mole grips (vice wrenches?) or even a sharpened screwdriver and a plumber's hammer. Going by what POs appear to have used on most British bikes I have worked on.

And anyhow, there's always shifting spanners (adjustable wrenches?) or pliers or mole grips (vice wrenches?) or even a sharpened screwdriver and a plumber's hammer. Going by what POs appear to have used on most British bikes I have worked on.
... and as a last resort, there's always the blue wrench.:er:

Back