'68 BSA Victor Build..... Bloody 'el mate... You 'effin daft or sommat?!?

How goes the project?

As a by-the-way, we discussed the need for multiple sets of tools when you're working on a British bike? Well, it's been in the news that the United Kingdom is sending Challenger 2 mbts to Ukraine. Today, looking at that story - there are Ukrainian personnel in Britain learning their way around Challenger 2 right now with deployment supposed to be happening real soon - came across some interesting facts about the tank. The one that stopped me in me tracks - you need two sets of tools to work on a Challenger, metric for the turret and Imperial for the hull. Obviously a prime example of British engineering.

Just like the BSA Victor which we're all waiting to see, apologies @Jim for the digression . . .

I dragged this home a couple of
weeks ago.
20230217_163645.jpg

How goes the project?
It has been fairly quite down in Gladstone the last few weeks...:whistle:

Guess it's 'splaining time....

You guys know I have feet problems. I've had 2 surgeries on the left foot for Morton's Neuroma... I think there's even a pic in this thread of my stitched up foot.
Well... the second surgery is also a fail. The neuroma in that foot is worse now than it's ever been. To add to that, the Morton's in my right foot has flare up again. Most days, walking down to the basement where the Victor is, is out of the question. Yeah... it's that bad.

What I have been doing is working on the garage. Sheet rock and insulation was mostly missing/never there. I've been replacing it since mid Nov and just finished last week. Yeah... a job that I used to be able to do in about a week has taken that long.... 5-10min of working and 30-60min sitting while my feet recover. Yeah... it sucks.
There's a Doc up in Omaha that sez he can fix me. I go up there this Thur to see what he can do. Basically they cut my old nerve out and sew in a new (cadaver) nerve. At this point, I'll try anything. Fingers crossed.

Here's a before and after in my garage. These are old pics from when I rebuilt the SG 3 or 4 yrs ago....

ceiling insulation mess.jpg

ceiling insulation mess2.jpg

...and here it is now.

1677444572918.png

Yeah... guess it's not really done. Still needs door and window trim and such... but close enough for now.
It's reorganized enough now that I have room for the Victor, so I'll be bringing it back up from the basement. At least that way I'll be able to piddle with it from time to time.
Hopefully the Omaha Doc can help me out and I can get back to restoring...

sew in a new (cadaver) nerve.

Dead man walking?
Sorry couldn't resist.
We're all rooting for you Jim.
For a spark plug like you not keeping up a blistering pace, (oops did it again) has got to be frustrating.
If anyone can get back on their feet :doh: it's you!

You guys know I have feet problems. I've had 2 surgeries on the left foot for Morton's Neuroma... I think there's even a pic in this thread of my stitched up foot.
Well... the second surgery is also a fail. The neuroma in that foot is worse now than it's ever been. To add to that, the Morton's in my right foot has flare up again. Most days, walking down to the basement where the Victor is, is out of the question. Yeah... it's that bad.

What I have been doing is working on the garage. Sheet rock and insulation was mostly missing/never there. I've been replacing it since mid Nov and just finished last week. Yeah... a job that I used to be able to do in about a week has taken that long.... 5-10min of working and 30-60min sitting while my feet recover. Yeah... it sucks.
There's a Doc up in Omaha that sez he can fix me. I go up there this Thur to see what he can do. Basically they cut my old nerve out and sew in a new (cadaver) nerve. At this point, I'll try anything. Fingers crossed.

Here's a before and after in my garage. These are old pics from when I rebuilt the SG 3 or 4 yrs ago....

View attachment 236415

View attachment 236416

...and here it is now.

View attachment 236417

Yeah... guess it's not really done. Still needs door and window trim and such... but close enough for now.
It's reorganized enough now that I have room for the Victor, so I'll be bringing it back up from the basement. At least that way I'll be able to piddle with it from time to time.
Garage looks great. I've never heard of a nerve transplant. That's awesome. Maybe body/head transplants will happen someday. I could go for a 20 year old body.

I guess we're all getting older. Trick is to realise that when sommat hurts or don't work right it doesn't mean, 'Oh, that's it, ain't never gonna work.' Even at our age, things that weren't possible are possible again.

View attachment 236415

View attachment 236416

...and here it is now.

View attachment 236417

Get

View attachment 236415

View attachment 236416

...and here it is now.

View attachment 236417

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Thanks guys... appreciate it.

I've never heard of a nerve transplant. That's awesome.
This is all fairly new stuff far as med technology goes, but reattaching limbs and such involves putting nerves back together... so the tech is out there.
...and to clarify, this Thur is a consult. Hopefully surgery soon after... find out about recovery times and all that. We'll get there.

I don't know too much yet. It's a 70. Found it in Facebook marketplace. Cut a deal and drove 3 hours to pick it up. It looks pretty complete and has compression. Seems to have had electrical demons so I need to sort the wiring then see if it will start.

Gonna start a build thread?

I wouldn't amount to anything except a "get it running and clean it up " thread. I don't plan on getting in too deep. I have too many other projects ahead of it.
Might wanna add turning the shocks right side up to that list also.... :whistle:

:laugh2:

Back