'70 or '71 XS-1B?

What's the engine number... ? it should match the frame number. Since the data tag is in question... the engine numbers should confirm.. 1970 or 1971.... the frame number seems to have been stamped with the matching data tag .... if the engine number and frame numbers match... I'd paint it candy green.... My unit is S65000637.... a early production model... also known for con-rod bearing failures. One possibility... it could be a 1970... I have a 1970 Ducati 450 Jupiter.. but it's titled as a 1971.. because when it was sold and registered with the state it was spring 1971... The Xs1 were all 1970 models.... they came out with production-build dates of 1969 ... just like Ford rushed the 1965 Mustang out in 1964 for the Worlds Fair... .... Ford never acknowledged a 1964 Mustang.. they were all 1965. The early 65's... had minor differences...they were all a Ford Falcon under the new sheet metal.... I had a base coupe 65' with the four lug nut wheels ... one of the differences besides trim and dash knobs.... Collectors point out " 1964 and a half ! ".... at car shows.... magazines... but it's a 65'.

motormike thanks for this. My aim really was to ascertain when the machine was produced. I can appreciate there is often disparity between the time when the machine was put together/manufactured and when first registered/sold.
The bike was originally candy orange/gold with white stripes as per the attached image pre-resto. To paint it candy green/white could well be incorrect for this machine.
Nick

Attachments

• IMG-20230113-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230113-WA0001.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 50
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on the forum so please go easy!!

Following a lengthy frame-up restoration and engine rebuild, I am now in a position to take my XS-1B out on the roads once the British weather improves and enjoy some parallel-twin bike riding. What I would like to know, based on the frame stamped VIN S650-0093## and the photograph of my bike below, could anyone say if this machine was produced in 1970 or 1971 and roughly which month, if that is at all possible to deduce. The engine has a 4-bolt cam chain tensioner housing and the two alloy cast strengthening gussets behind cylinder 1's barrel base are present.

It has the Solex BS 38 carbs fitted which I believe to be correct (E3's I think) which have linked chokes but independant throttles. The bike has been restored to a decent level of accuracy, however the restoration emphasis was on riding it reliably rather than it becoming a purist example.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

View attachment 238393
Oh boy what a lovely bike, its a beauty!
One to cherish in my book and enjoy the ride and the looks.

Back