'70 to '73 Centre Stand reinforcement ?

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Now that I've almost finished mauling the centre stand that I bought for my XS1B straight (one pivot point is misaligned still) I'm wondering if I should add some gussets to beef it up.
I've done the tang gusset modification to the '74 type stand a few times I'm just wondering if the early type would benefit from the same treatment ?
The shaft through the pivot eye is actually a XS1 swing arm shaft.
I've just used it as a guide so I can judge how far the eye is out of line

Attachments

• IMG_20230609_204238.jpg
    IMG_20230609_204238.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 32
I'm not an everyday centerstand user but I'm sure I've had well used early bikes off and on centerstands at least a hundred times. I've had no issues. But can't see where adding a gusset would hurt. I do take em off and grease the pivots during wake up drills.

Yes, I would brace the tang because I'm sure it will break off eventually just like the later stands do. I also add grease nipples to the pivots. The tubing isn't quite thick enough for them so you need to build it up a bit with a blob of weld .....

PivotWeld.jpg

PivotWeld3.jpg

PivotWeld5.jpg

The results are well worth it though. A well greased stand works soooo much easier and better .....

83StandGreased2.jpg

Thanks for that.
I took the stand to work with me today and used the oxy-fuel and a few basic implements to tweak the mounting eyes true to each other.
Could have added those welded pads too if I'd bothered to check this thread.
Never mind, looks like I'll be re-shaping the tang next Saturday

Back