Sold / Found / Inactive - 700cc 277* D-Port engine - Hugh's Handbuilt - complete, crated, ready to party.

buzzword

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Bought this engine from a fellow forum member several months back thinking I'd put it in a framer. My plans have changed, my storage solution and workshop space isn't an option anymore, so I need to downsize. I have not run it, as it's still in the crate from when I purchased. Complete, with exception of a clutch worm gear - former owner had a hand clutch setup on it. Did take off the stator cover and turn it over - it is free, and has strong compression.

Hugh confirmed via email that this was the engine he built for himself in late 2012, but ended up selling - here's his original listing with a full parts breakdown:

https://www.hughshandbuilt.com/2012/07/27/sale-rephased-xs650-hot-rod-engine-1-kind/

Here's the list of parts if you really don't want to click the link above - accents in bold by me:
  • 700CC Big Bore with JE Pistons and Total Power Rings
  • New Heavy Duty 447 Rods
  • Rephased, welded and trued Crankshaft
  • 5th Gear Overdrive
  • Late Model Transmission
  • CUSTOM 8 Pack Clutch (never before offered from HHB!)
  • New HP Clutch Disks
  • New Clutch Hardware
  • HD Clutch Springs
  • 1 Piece Clutch Rod
  • Heavy Duty Throwout Bearing
  • D-Shaped Ported Head (The ONLY 1 I have ever completed to date)
  • 3 Angle Valve Grind
  • New Valve Guides
  • Stainless Rocker Shaft Covers
  • Hughs HandBuilt PMA
  • Complete 277 Pamcopete Ignition with new Advance Unit, Rod, etc..
  • Green Monster Coils
  • Rephased 256 Camshaft
  • Polished Side Covers (at time of build)
  • Polished Valve Covers (see above!)
  • Kick Only (electric can still be added if necessary)
  • VM34 carburetors (added by previous owner, will include)
It has some light oxidation on the outside of the engine from sitting, but my guess is some elbow grease and time would turn it back to its original shine. I did fog the cylinders with marvel mystery oil when it arrived, so there shouldn't be too much to deal with there. Was told the miles are very low, but no way of confirming this. If anything, you could re-ring it in an afternoon and plug/play in your own bike.

Asking $2k picked up in San Francisco, CA 94118 - already crated, can help you get it in your truck, van, or whatever. Good opportunity to get a really nice, well-built engine at a significant discount - definitely relative to its original price, and certainly less than it would be to build from the ground up.

Will ship wherever you like at your expense - and up to you to do the digging on shipping. For reference, it was about $280 to ship the 24" square / 220 lb. crate cross-country to me via ForwardAir.

Still crated, so no pictures available - I can try to find some, but I'm unable to access my storage for a week or so.

But if you're selling this I can't wait to see what you are building with the parts you grabbed from me.
guess we'll see! :)

Thank god... I would have had to consider driving up to pick it up if it stayed listed any longer.
maybe you'll be interested in the thing Phil alluded to whenever I get the time and space to start turning wrenches again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back