71 xs1b the project from hell!! what should i do with "IT"??

Kyd727

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i picked "it" up locally for $100 dollars.
what should i do with "it"?

restore "it"?
sell "it"?
or, part "it" out?

this would be my most ambitious project to date
the bike is rough, but all there.
not really sure what im gonna do yet,
i just thought it would be a good topic for discussion.

i would love to hear all of your thoughts and comments on "it".

would you spend $100. dollars on "it"??
..... i did!!

Attachments

• 1971 xs1b 12-14-2008 014.jpg
    1971 xs1b 12-14-2008 014.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 277
  • 1971 xs1b 12-14-2008 018.jpg
    1971 xs1b 12-14-2008 018.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 308
  • 1971 xs1b 12-14-2008 001.jpg
    1971 xs1b 12-14-2008 001.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 262
  • 1971 xs1b 12-14-2008 004.jpg
    1971 xs1b 12-14-2008 004.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 281
- well i would definitely spend 100 dollars for it...if you parted it out there is a profit to be made, however i would be tempted to either use it as a base for a project or to keep for parts...there is a lot of work in restoring this

- the things i like about these are no estart therefore a larger sump capacity, 4 triangular valve covers, tank, front wheel and side plates with the chrome fittings

- what im not happy with are the weak frame, small airboxes, chrome rims, 34mm forks, clutch, cam chain tensioner, cant get pistons and conrods anymore-but can swap-in a complete crank-rods-pistons from the later 447 or 533 motors, oh and that seat

- whatever you do with it though, have fun

The intresting part about this project is that I have the title.

No offense crash, but I just couldn't bring myself to chop one of these early machines.
With that being said, I would love to build a chopper one day.
It would have to be a later bike though.

If you have the title and it's mostly all there I would restore it. I've restored bikes in worse conditoin that I didn't like as much as this gem. I have a xs1b and I LOVE it. I just restored a 77 kz1000ltd and parts are way more expensive than for the xs. Just think, you could be cruisin' on a bike that not many people can say they have. As far as choppin...thats why yamaha brought out the xs special. It kills me to see people choppin the xs1's. Go for it....restore it.

Well you already have about a million other early XS's to ride so it's not like you NEED another one. Just give it to me. You pay shipping.

Seriously though, I would pay $100 for that. A few of the parts would be worth that. You could part it out and provide other people restoring other bikes with some hard to find parts. But you do have a title so maybe it would be worth restoring. I don't know… I’d throw it in the corner and work on that nice XS1 you have.

thanks for all the great comments you guys.

Travis - you nailed it. I'll probably keep "it" in the corner of the garage and tackle the xs1

Inxs - that's my biggest issue.......SPACE!!!

I'll keep you guys posted on my plans, I think it will end up being
restored. I have a ton of spare parts for these bikes, that may be my project for next winter!!

Hey Kid, it's nothin' but a hunk of useless iron, & should be tossed. BTW, yoiu could toss "it" in this direction.Well, whatever you do,a whole, complete bike for $100,alway's good for sumting.

Hi guys, I just signed up and started to look at the forum.

Personally, I have had the chance to put my hands on a XS1 or XS1B, I would definately rebuild it and keep it stock. I really like bobber and chopper bikes but for those early models, I prefer them stock. I already have a 1972 XS2 and I can't imagine me building a bobber out of it.

Back