lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
20220807_163027.jpg
20220812_131634.jpg

I am putting together this '73 and almost done except that my ignition switch is not working correctly. Key turned to first position, the motor fires right up on the button all ok, but no headlight or tailight. Turn key to second position (park?) and motor shuts off instantly, but headlight and tailight come on. New Mikes harness and bar switches. Tried two different ignition switches same thing. Indicator lights, horn, front brake and rear brake work on first key position but not on second key position. Headlight and tailight do not work on first key position but do work on second position. Starter works only on first position.
There is a yellow with red stripe male connector with no place to go in the headlight and a red and white female with nothing to plug into. When connected together, nothing changes and no smoke come out, so I left them unplugged.
Any ideas on how I can get the headlight to work on the first key position?

Hmm the red yellow from the iggy SHOULD feel the Light switches on the LH bar switch. I think it is possible to feed the headlight from the # 3 position if the headlight switch is on. In later years I think they tossed a diode on the blue wire to prevent that.
1660334464044.png

PS looking mighty fine there buddy!

This diagram may help. May find you have a Y/G wire going to the brake/stop switches instead of Y as in the diagram.

This thread has a lot of the information i used to make up the diagram. Pics of the ignition switch and electrical components. Used Mailman, GLJ and Robin's help using their XS2's and 73TX to make this up and alter the original diagram.............Garys ignition switch pics solved a lot of issues. Page 1 in the link

https://www.xs650.com/threads/72xs2-73tx-wiring-diagram.53244/

AFAIK MikesXS XS2 harness is pretty much the same. Mailman bought one of his i think.

I tried to make the Ignition and bar switches correct as to where the connections are placed. Had to to get the wiring and how it worked registered in my head

1660341156401.png

Last edited:
There's also a chance there's a "glitch" in the MikesXS harness, lol. On the one my buddy got for his '80 SPII, the headlight would come on with the key, not after the bike was started as it was supposed to. There was a wire in the harness connected to the wrong thing.

As I read it, the left bar light switch should be connecting R/Y to Blue in the "ON" position and completing that circuit for head & tail lights. Failing that, jumpering R/Y to blue after the key switch should do it.

No, in the "On" position, the R/Y should be connected to the headlight On/Off switch, and that will connect it to the blue when turned on. Connect the R/Y to the blue before the headlight On/Off switch and the tail light will always be on when the key is.

New Mikes harness and bar switches
Which switch did you get from Mikes?

The 72-73 headlight circuit is different from all the others.
The key switch has red for power in
Position 1 is off red has no connection to any other wire.
Position 2 (middle)connects red to brown (ignition/turns/brake light/horn,etc) and red/yellow (head lights)
Position 3 (right) connects red to blue (tail light, gauge lights)
1660415785769.png

The headlight switch is confusing. red/yellow is power for when bike is running. When the headlight switch is on it connects red/yellow to the jumper going to the Hi/Low switch so the headlight comes on. It also connects the red/yellow to the blue going to the tail light and gauge lights. When the switch is off no connection to either head or tail light circuits.
Reason for this is so in position 3 you can have the tail light (parking light) on without having the headlight on if the headlight switch is in the off position. If the headlight switch is in the on position you will also have the headlight on but no ignition.
For some reason they wanted the bike to have a parking light without the headlight on.
1660415736310.png

Attachments

• 1660415776435.png
    1660415776435.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
:agree:The left bar switch should have the light on/off slide switch. If not, it's not a correct repro and another method designed, perhaps including a relay that kicks lights off when starter is powered and including the light circuits into key position 2 of 3.

I don't understand why they wire the instrument lights to come on with the tail light in "Park", doesn't seem necessary. But they're all wired like that, even the later models.

OK, so Greg you may have the answer. The first pic is what I am trying to make work and there is no on off for the headlight. The second shot of the two used switches both have in addition to the hi lo beam switch, a switch to turn on the headlight. So I will tidy one of them up and change it out to see if that works. Thanks to all, and I will report back.

Attachments

• 20220813_162200.jpg
    20220813_162200.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220813_163513.jpg
    20220813_163513.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 68
Yes tidy one of them up inside and out and I think you will have a winner. When you clean them up inside make sure it goes back together correctly.
Just ask @Mailman what happens if you put it back together wrong.

OK, so Greg you may have the answer. The first pic is what I am trying to make work and there is no on off for the headlight. The second shot of the two used switches both have in addition to the hi lo beam switch, a switch to turn on the headlight. So I will tidy one of them up and change it out to see if that works. Thanks to all, and I will report back.
If those LH switches don't clean-up to suit, I did spy what looks to be decent reproduction that have grey sheath (not endorsement)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182281383591

Last edited:

That left bar switch looks like it is off a 74 and later. The on/off switch went to the right bar switch in 74............Edit, and hour late and a minute short

Post #72,73,74 Bob posts a lot of pics on the left and right bar switchs and headlight wiring
https://www.xs650.com/threads/72xs2-73tx-wiring-diagram.53244/page-4

Success!!!!!
Skull is correct that the new switch I was trying to use was a 74 up and could not be combined with the 73 right hand switch with the starter lever and kill switch only. Greg was right that my old spare would work. So all better.
I was of course aware that my initial set up had no switch on it, but I thought the two position ignition switch incorporated a headlight on off.
Rebuilding this 73 has been an experience I will not willingly repeat. They are so different from the 447 and up models that I am more used to such as the 78 with the BBK and the bobbed seat and fenders that is next on the list. The stock 78 is already licenced and insured but needs the 36 tooth rear changed to a 34. I also intend to put the 84 tank and black side covers on it for looks. The luggage rack may go as well for the time being.

Attachments

• 20220810_154502.jpg
    20220810_154502.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220807_163042.jpg
    20220807_163042.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220523_142416.jpg
    20220523_142416.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 64
Back