'74 DT250 Bitsa. The "Aussie Mutt."

I just got back home to Harrow very early this morning - wow - what a trip!

I left Harrow on Tuesday and crossed the border at about 1:00 PM and headed for Jim's place in KC. I ran out of steam in Hannibal MO and hotelled-it and then got to Jim's at about 10:30 AM. I had a shop tour, oggled my tins (WOW - you should see them!) and we had lunch and I hoofed it for home.

Thanks so much Jim - it was great to finally meet you and Sue and enjoy a meal together!

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks for lookin' Jack. Appreciate it.
thumbsup.gif

Hey Jim,

I don't know if you have had any dealings with these guys or not.
https://www.economycycle.com/woocom...product/cat-in/all/search-other/product,p_sku

Doing some research on rubber parts, and the same manufacturer that Sumo rubber get their rubber from, (PGM http://pgmrubber.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8 ), these guys do as well and are one of the US distributors.

Doing some research on a rubber part, found then to be cheaper than Sumo, (a few cents) so thought as they deal and specialize in the RD's and old bikes they may be competitive for other parts as well.

eBay forks just showed up. Listed for '74 to '76 DT250 and 400. Seller said there is very minor pitting, otherwise good forks. It's gettin' to be a rarity nowadays... but he told the truth. Hell, the SG forks have more pits than these do and they've worked fine for 3 yrs now. They still have oil in 'em and dampening still works. For a hundred bucks... I'm tickled pink.
Now to find some seals....

1642793144389.png

1642793183776.png

An honest fleabayer? hooda thunk it? :thumbsup:
I find fork legs buff up REAL nice with blue or green buff on a cotton wheel. Also feel (with fingers) that it rounds the pit edges reducing the chances of slicing rubber off your new seals.
I use an SOS or Brillo... smooths the edges of the pits and knocks any rust out of 'em. Follow up with a few coats of a good paste wax... Turtle Wax.
SG forks have held up well with that treatment.

eBay forks just showed up. Listed for '74 to '76 DT250 and 400. Seller said there is very minor pitting, otherwise good forks. It's gettin' to be a rarity nowadays... but he told the truth. Hell, the SG forks have more pits than these do and they've worked fine for 3 yrs now. They still have oil in 'em and dampening still works. For a hundred bucks... I'm tickled pink.
Now to find some seals....

View attachment 205847

View attachment 205848
You got an excellent deal. So uncommon on EBay.
Coincidently, we are doing the same thing today. I'm pulling apart my DT3 forks right now. Put new BikeMaster seals in them last winter, and one failed. I've got quite a bit of pitting. This year I'm going to try filling the pits with JB Weld and sand off the excess. Some guys have had success with this.

Back