'74 DT250 Bitsa. The "Aussie Mutt."

I have a stock front wheel for a 74 DT250A if you need it . Not perfect but I can send pictures by phone. Actually, I think I have a rear wheel hub and brake backing plate also.
Appreciate the offer!
I've got a '69 front and rear that I think I can make fit.
If not I might take you up on 'em.
Cheers.

Crap... where does the time go? :cautious:

Finally got the basement workshop cleaned up enough that I can at least walk around in it. Still needs more, but it'll do for now. Anyway...

1702941750252.png

Things would be much easier with at least one bike a roller. The Mutt's closest, so... its turn. Needs a swingarm 'fore it can roll...

The swingarm I have isn't for a '74. Not positive, but I think it's off a '68 or '69 DT-1. In keeping with the spirit of things (read that, cheap ol' bastard), it's gonna have to do. :rolleyes:

The pivot bolt that belongs to the swingarm is long enough to fit the frame, but considerably smaller dia. It's 12mm and the frame holes are just shy of 17mm.

1702942226596.png

Went and looked at Ace Hardware and found some bronze (oilite) hat bushings that were 12mm ID. Cut those down to the right size and turned down for a slight interference fit... and used an ol' rusty bolt to press 'em in. Went ahead and smeared a little JB Weld on the bushings and frame holes before pressing... more for corrosion protection than anything else. All cleaned up, I'll let 'em set up overnight, then fit the swingarm so I can figure out what size spacers I need to make.

1702944461023.png

1702944502590.png

1702944625644.png

1702944541506.png

1702944569360.png

Hey now! That’s pretty slick, it’s amazing what you can find at the hardware store!
...and envious too! Although I'm in SW FL in largely agreeable weather, I'm away from my shop and all my shop projects. There is one and only one project for me this winter, the restoration of a Hurricane-Ian-wrecked house. Drywall, more drywall and then some more drywall, followed by mud and tape followed by mud followed by sanding and more mud!!! Almost 25 gallons of mud spread so far, drywall screws get bought in 25 lb. increments. It'd be nice to be able to do something a little more gratifying...

Think I need to get the ol' Mk.I eyeball calibrated....
1703031334959.png

Put the grease caps on the swingarm and fitted it. Not only do I not need spacers... that bugger's a tight fit. Not too tight mind you, but it didn't slide in easy. Guess I shoulda checked my eyeball measurement 'fore I installed the bushings. Prolly would have been helpful to take 5 thou or so off each hat section. Oh well... no more than it get's removed, it'll be just fine.

1703031684566.png

1703031700225.png

1703031717372.png

So, before I could send it off for paint, the tabs for the chain guard are missing.
Cut off, vibration... who knows, but I plan on having a chain guard fitted, so...
Mocked it up so I could get an idea where the chain would run...

1703032008093.png

1703032028249.png

Found some appropriate looking scrap, cut and drilled that into the tabs I want and welded 'em into place. Fiddly bits like this are definitely in the TIG's wheelhouse, but.... 'case y'all forgot, I picked up a new MIG machine this summer. Due to my ongoing feet issues, 'bout all I've done with it was turn it on and make sure sparks flew when it made that buzzing sound.
Been itchin' to play with it. So....

1703032354066.png

1703032377131.png

1703032407074.png

Yeah, I'll need some time with it, but I like this new machine. Has a mode... who's name escapes me at the moment, that lets you set one of three parameters and it adjusts for the other two. For instance, set the amps, and it adjusts for metal thickness and wire speed. Set for metal thickness and it adjusts for current and wire speed. It's pretty slick... and so much more high tech than my stone age Hobart. :cautious:

Funny story....
Carried it over to the paint shop and they told me to piss off. It seems that someone filled the paint shop up with crap during the spare bedroom construction fiasco.

I'll quote the paint shop lead here....
"We ain't done fuckall since since you trashed the joint, mate. And don't plan to 'till you take care of the mess.... now piss off, it's tea time.
'Sides... there's tins ahead of you.... "

Bugger me... :er:

Last edited:
Two steps forward and....

Not sure where my heads at today. Didn't take hardly any progress pics. Did get a few though.
Cured the tight fit by shaving a few thou off the swingarm bushings. Used the miter, some wood and a clamp to set up the 8" sander to shave a tad off each side. Then used the same setup to shave about the same off the steel inner bushing. The inners now sticks out about 5 thou past the nylon bushings. Fits much better now. Still an interference fit, but only just slightly.... about perfect in my opinion.

1703214825389.png

1703215482244.png

Test fitting it revealed another problem... the forward chain guard tab I welded on, interferes with the fender... mudguard for you islander's :wink2:
So I cut it back off, welded a washer over the top of where it was and drilled a 5mm hole through the center. Before I install the swingarm I'll tap that for a M6 bolt... pretty much like the guard on the XS.
Threw it in the blasting cabinet and got it ready for paint.... then went to work on the paint room.

Gaahh... what a mess!! Anyway, it's much better. Usable I should say. Still a far cry from "better." It'll need more work 'fore I dare paint something like a tank and side covers in there... but good enough for bits and bobs. Think I'll spend tomorrow finishing off the paint room cleanup. Got tanks waitin' their turn...

1703215584977.png

1703215602696.png

. . . the forward chain guard tab I welded on, interferes with the fender... mudguard for you islander's . . .
Haha - divided by a common language.

It's all go at the Dent ranch - I guess you like to keep busy? All good work, DT coming along nicely.

Paint's still pretty green, but I really wanted to get this swingarm install closed out. So I clamped a tube in the vise and hung it nose down from there... good enough to work on.
Tapped the chain guard hole for a 6mm bolt.

1703288693630.png

I'd previously cleaned up all the bushings. The nylon ones were a nice snug fit on the steels ones... felt and looked almost new... so I pressed 'em all back in.

1703288778793.png

... and bolted the swingarm in place. I think there's supposed to be an acorn nut holding the pivot bolt. I'll see if I can dig one up.

1703288853568.png

1703288878810.png

1703288901561.png

Didn't get any scratches or rubs.... so cool beans.

... and back to paint room cleanup duty... :cautious:

Last edited:
Paint's still pretty green, but I really wanted to get this swingarm install closed out. So I clamped a tube in the vise and hung it nose down from there... good enough to work on.
Tapped the chain guard hole for a 6mm bolt.

View attachment 258077

I'd previously cleaned up all the bushings. The nylon ones were a nice snug fit on the steels ones... felt and looked almost new... so I pressed 'em all back in.

View attachment 258078

... and bolted the swingarm in place. I think there's supposed to be an acorn nut holding the pivot bolt. I'll see if I can did one up.

View attachment 258079

View attachment 258080

View attachment 258081

Didn't get any scratches or rubs.... so cool beans.

... and back to paint room cleanup duty... :cautious:
Looks great Jim.Lovin’ that frame color 🎨👍

Back