'74 RD350. Yeah... I know....

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Go ahead with your jokes... projects and holes in the head an' all that... I can take it. :cautious:
Anyway... it was advertised as a '74 RD 350, complete with extra motor, sitting in baskets on two pallets. Your classic "basket case," for 500 bucks.... right up my alley. :er:
Offered 400 sight unseen and headed north to the Iowa border.

I've always loved the two strokes. The sound, the smell... the "holy shit" when it comes up on the pipes... love 'em. Don't get me wrong, I loves me a 4 stroke too... in equal measure I guess. Funny, most folk have a decided preference. I'll take either.

I grew up on the little Yamaha twins. R3's (YR3), R5's and RD's. Even raced an RD for a season back in the late 70's. If you tried to pin me down, I'd guess about 15 of 'em in total. I could rebuild and tune one in my sleep. I say all this as a way to describe why a grown man with too many projects already, drives to Iowa and plops down 400 bucks for two pallets of parts... it's in my blood. Never wanted a ready to ride one. Never mind the cost of that today, but I wanted one that looks like the one I've had in my head for the last 20yrs. If I'd spent $3-6k on a rider, it'd be gettin' tore apart by now anyway, so why not start there... in baskets?

So, here it is....what I've figured so far, it's pretty close to complete. Front fender is missing, seat's missing and so is the title. The guy says he knows where they are and that I'll get 'em. He's about my age, runs his own heavy equipment shop and lives or dies by his work and his word. I trust him. It was his sisters, sons bike. He knows little of it's history, but he knows where they both live. :sneaky:

This'll go into the rotation with the Victor, the Aussie Mutt, the ersatz Speed Twin and the CS5E.. which I ain't named yet. I've got an entire walk out basement to turn into a workshop before the rain comes. Guess I better get to it.

By the way, those are new, unused DG pipes you're lookin' at. They retail for about 6-700 bucks. I figure I'm already on the good side of this one.

1664853144226.png

1664853183873.png

1664853343724.png

1664853373530.png

1664853394355.png

1664853429365.png

1664853473109.png

Last edited:
Go ahead with your jokes... projects and holes in the head an' all that... I can take it. :er:
Anyway... it was advertised as a '74 RD 350, complete with extra motor, sitting in baskets on two pallets. Your classic "basket case," for 500 bucks.... right up my alley. :cautious:

I've always loved the two strokes. The sound, the smell... the "holy shit" when it comes up on the pipes... love 'em. Don't get me wrong, I loves me a 4 stroke too... in equal measure I guess. Funny, most folk have a decided preference. I'll take either.
I grew up on the little Yamaha twins. R3's (YR3), R5's and RD's. Even raced an RD for a season back in the late 70's. If you tried to pin me down, I'd guess about 15 of 'em in total. I could rebuild and tune one in my sleep. I say all this as a way to describe why a grown man with too many projects already, drives to Iowa and plops down 400 bucks for two pallets of parts... it's in my blood. Never wanted a ready to ride one. Never mind the cost of that today, but I wanted one that looks like the one I've had in my head for the last 20yrs. If I'd spent $3-6k on a rider, it'd be gettin' tore apart by now anyway, so why not start there... in baskets?

So, here it is....what I've figured so far, it's pretty close to complete. Front fender is missing, seat's missing and so is the title. The guy says he knows where they are and that I'll get 'em. He's about my age, runs his own heavy equipment shop and lives or dies by his work and his word. I trust him. It was his sisters, sons bike. He knows little of it's history, but he knows where they both live. :sneaky:

This'll go into the rotation with the Victor, the Aussie Mutt, the ersatz Speed Twin and the CS5E.. which I ain't named yet. I've got an entire walk out basement to turn into a workshop before the rain comes. Guess I better get to it.

By the way, those are new, unused DG pipes you're lookin' at. They retail for about 6-700 bucks. I figure I'm already on the good side of this one.

View attachment 226857

View attachment 226858

View attachment 226859

View attachment 226860

View attachment 226861

View attachment 226862

View attachment 226863
Good for you! I totally get where you're coming from.

Jim, I'm looking forward to seeing this project evolve. Hard to believe, but I don't think I've ever ridden a two stroke, unless it was a snowmobile or a boat with an outboard. I didn't ride dirt bikes as a kid, and started riding motorcycles on the street when I was 19 in 1984.
I hope to get the chance to ride one, one day.

If I'd spent $3-6k on a rider, it'd be gettin' tore apart by now anyway, so why not start there... in baskets?
Yep, that's what I was think'in as I first looked at the pics - you just saved the disassembly time by getting it in boxes.

The DG exhaust was in stock @ HVC for $8-900, he currently has no stock for RD350 (his HVC brand or DG), only JL for $1100-1200.

Well done.

If I wasn't two whole builds behind........

Last edited:
The DG exhaust was in stock @ HVC for $8-900, he currently has no stock for RD350 (his HVC brand, DG), only JL for $1100-1200.

Well done.
Thanks JP.
Plus... the old (original) exhaust will clean up like new. That'll get me some money back on Ebay. Win win.

Hard to believe, but I don't think I've ever ridden a two stroke
Some folk love 'em... some hate 'em. But the old saying it's more fun to ride a small bike fast than a big bike slow prolly has it's roots in the RD's.
Off the showroom floor they'd turn 13 sec quarters at 90+ mph. Workin' with 350cc, it wasn't brute force that got you there, it was finesse. There's a reason they were called "giant killers."

If you ever get the chance, jump on it.

Jim, my man, I love ya...but you SUCK! :poke:

Like (I suspect) most married men, I negotiate things with the CFO before running out and buying "Stuff". That bike is one of the few things I'd have just went and got and let the chips fall where they may.

She'd have been seriously pissed and wouldn't talk to me for days, if not weeks, but I wouldn't notice as I'd be down in the shop cleaning, polishing, fondling and dreaming of the day it would go RIIINNNNGGGG ding ding ding ding...

I have 2 RD350A, the first one I bought in 81. The second one maybe 10 years ago, from my cousin, who bought it new in 1975. One of the very best upgrades for any RD is a Vape/ Powerdynamo CDI/ PMA. I have had one in mine for 6-7 years, and not even changed a spark plug since. As for chambers, Spec 2 are highly rated.
Fiber reed petals from an YZ125 are another popular upgrade (those are 3 petals, so cut off one)
economycycle.com is a good supplier for RD stuff.

Last edited:
Nice score. I always wanted an RD350. I walked away from a super clean survivor ten years ago for $1,200. Should have bought it.
I restored my H1 in 2010 and it started off as little more than a bare frame and boxes of parts that were left outside.

Go ahead with your jokes... projects and holes in the head an' all that... I can take it. :cautious:
Anyway... it was advertised as a '74 RD 350, complete with extra motor, sitting in baskets on two pallets. Your classic "basket case," for 500 bucks.... right up my alley. :er:

View attachment 226857

View attachment 226858

View attachment 226859

View attachment 226860

View attachment 226861

View attachment 226862

View attachment 226863
Me for one, I completely get it as I suffer from the same compulsion; if there is something cool, vintage and in a state of disrepair, I gotta get it! One of my weaknesses is small-bore bikes. Gotta shed full of those; a Suzuki TS125 with a TS185 engine (dual-range 5 speed tranny = 10 speed!), a Suzuki SP100 four-stroke, a Kawasaki KE100, a couple of newly-arrived Honda XR80's, a Rupp minibike.... Like yours, Jim, they are in the rotation!

Back